Brutal / Technical Death Metal mix feedback

P-Keisari

New Metal Member
Feb 3, 2016
Finland
Hi! Here's one song of my death metal band's upcoming release. The mix is pretty much done, but I would still like to hear some opinions and perspectives from people that dig this kind of music or are into music engineering. I have mixed / mastered and recorded this album all by myself (apart from drums, which were recorded abroad). I'm not a professional sound-tech, I'm just really interested in that area and have been doing amateur mixes for many years now. This has been the most time consuming and serious project that I've ever done. My resources are quite limited, I don't have a studio or anything, all I have is some equipment and some experience.

I'm pretty happy with the mix, but there are some things I would like to do better if I knew how.

Please tell me your opinion on the mix. Pros and cons or stuff like that.

Attachments

• My death metal band's mix (BRUTAL).mp3
    13.1 MB · Views: 11
Anyone? It can't be that bad, can it? Here's a SoundCloud link, if someone finds it difficult to download.

Well, that's not actually what I had in mind. Besides it would be really difficult right now. I just would like to have some feedback on this mix that I have here now.

I really like the snare on this, it's super appropriate sounding for this style. Just some thoughts as I listen
  • The vocals sound pretty thin and quiet. I know personally I tend to remove too much low mids from my vocals and they always end up sounding like balls at the end.
  • The guitars are a tad loud, it sounds like the vocals/drums/bass are at a fairly equal level with eachother, but the guitars are hiding that.
  • The mix itself sounds a bit over compressed, however I'm not an expert in the more slammy heavy stuff like this (it seems that this is a desired effect a lot of the time).
  • I like how gross the guitars sound (in a good way!), reminds me a lot of Nile in a way.
I would say start by lowering the guitars a a few db's (experiment) and bringing some life back to the vocals/mix by backing off on compression/limiting a bit. All the appropriate elements are definitely there, they just need to be moved back and forth a bit and perhaps carved out of each other with some eq. Just my 2 cents, I'd love to hear what you do with it after revisiting it.

post raws!
This mentality needs to stop in this subforum, it's great if someone posts raws (I do it with all of my songs as do others), however there is a lot that goes into it (preparing the raw files, getting bands permission etc). The least you could do is give some input before asking

This mentality needs to stop in this subforum, it's great if someone posts raws (I do it with all of my songs as do others), however there is a lot that goes into it (preparing the raw files, getting bands permission etc). The least you could do is give some input before asking

Seriously. That's why I don't really post my stuff here. Every single thread is instantly bombarded by people asking for raw tracks. Like you said, at the very least add something constructive if you're going to ask.
This subforum is meant for people to learn so they can better their skill set, not just provide raw tracks and stems.

Also, OP, I'll check your track later once I'm on proper headphones.

The panned vocals are super harsh, and possibly too loud. Turn them down a bit and pull out some of the highs.
Actually, all the vocals could have some of the highs ducked.
Everything else seems pretty on point, dude.
Really digging the Origin vibe

Thank you, AntonioPetrole! I also think, that the snare is one of the best parts of the mix. In this kind of music it's really important I think, because you will hear that snare a lot in one track. I tried not to scoop the low-mids from the vocals, but somehow I couldn't make em fit in the mix that way. Maybe I should try it again. I think that growling/screaming vocals sound a bit more "inhuman" and "beast-like" when scooped, but it's of course true that it makes em sound a bit thin as well. The guitar balance thing has always been quite hard for me in this kind of music, I admit that. In this kind of music I have always preferred chaotic rather than clear mix. Of course, when your mix is too chaotic, it's just pure noise. It's important to find the balance. These guitars sound really chaotic and tend to get a bit clearer only at the slower parts so that is why I wanted to make em loud in the mix. For example, Necrophagist's Epitaph -album has really middle-rich and clear guitar tone. It sounds great, it gives the riffs the attention they deserve, but to be honest, to me the mix on that album has never sounded that brutal. Everything is too clear. But yeah, maybe you're right. Maybe I should try a different approach on that as well. I have listened to this mix for so long, that it has started to affect on how I hear it. It may sound totally different to me that it sounds to anyone else. That is the main reason why I need some feedback. You know what I mean? The compression is a desired effect at least for me. I'm not that great at mastering, but on my death metal mixes I will always try to make it as loud as possible as long as it doesn't make the sound "pump". I think it's pretty much a standard on this kind of music. I'm glad to hear that you liked the guitars. The guitars have been the hardest part for me. It seems that I'm never satisfied how they sound. That is maybe because I am a guitarist. I would still like to make em better, but don't know how. The tone is really close to what I would like to have, but not all the way there. Never ending process I think.

And to Christian WUFU, thank you for your comment! The panned vocals have too much "spit", I have noticed that too. That is something I will definitely try to fix. Somehow the high frequencies tend to get emphasized when panned. Really glad that you get those Origin vibes on this one. It's one of my favorite bands and greatest influences.

Thank you both for your feedback. I really appreciate it. I will totally keep in mind what you guys said when I start to tweak the mix again.

More feedback and comments, anyone?

I fixed the vocals a bit with eq and they sound a lot better now. Does anyone have anything to say especially about the guitars? They're the ones I'm most critical with myself.

Yup, and trying to ask politely would be the least to expect...

Anyway, I like the overall sound, even if the guitars sound a bit loud as AntonioPetrole said, but the instruments have a sound that really fit the style played, good job at it!
Maybe the bass is a little buried, I like to hear more clank from the bass in that kind of death metal, but that's a matter of taste.