Burden MUST be played live!

In a few songs, endings have been cut live such as Leper Affinity piano and Bleak effects. I'm pretty sure Mike has stated that the out of tune guitar moved Burden away from becoming another sappy ballad, and as the detuning would be almost impossible to pull off I can't see it happening.

I'd much prefer The Lotus Eater or Hessian Peel.

(ormaybeillstateagainthatkarmashouldbeplayedlive alongwiththetwilightismyrobedirgefornovemberand wreathandserenitypainteddeathohwait)

In a few songs, endings have been cut live such as Leper Affinity piano and Bleak effects. I'm pretty sure Mike has stated that the out of tune guitar moved Burden away from becoming another sappy ballad, and as the detuning would be almost impossible to pull off I can't see it happening.

i think it would be possible to do live but it might end up sucking. mike would have to play it on his electric guitar, and fredrik would have to put his guitar down after his last note, run over to mike's side and try to turn down the strings as he played, i dunno, i can envision it in my head but i just don't think it would turn out right. on the other hand, i think burden would be an awesome live song without the outtro. hell, mike said in the dvd thing while he was playing the last riff there (before the detuned outtro), "this is where the lighters come out" haha. besides, i see nothing wrong with an occassional sappy ballad. and opeth does it better than most.

Yeah, I think Burden is a must on the next tour.

On another note...I just bought my presale tickets for Chicago!

Also, I'm new here...I'm Jessi....if anyone cares lol.

WTfF is this "not possible cos of detuning" shit?

Like they need to do that anyway. He could just play that part several times and then end it in some way. Just like they end those fade-out songs.

Who gives a fuck about that detuning bit anyway.

I know right? I highly doubt that they're not going to play Burden just because of the ending. They have to know that song is amazing and I'm sure they can figure something out. It IS Opeth we are talking about after all ;).

WTfF is this "not possible cos of detuning" shit?

Like they need to do that anyway. He could just play that part several times and then end it in some way. Just like they end those fade-out songs.

Who gives a fuck about that detuning bit anyway.

i totally never thought of that. that could work, if he just played that detuned riff a few times (without being detuned), and slowing down towards the end, with a soft cymbal crescendo. but on the album, i very much give a fuck about the detuned bit, as well as mike's (mechanized) laugh at the very end of the track, and then BAM! porcelain heart. very nicely done, i think!!

I'd much prefer The Lotus Eater or Hessian Peel.

(ormaybeillstateagainthatkarmashouldbeplayedlive alongwiththetwilightismyrobedirgefornovemberand wreathandserenitypainteddeathohwait)

Yea, I love Burden but I'd take The Lotus Eater or Hessian Peel over it any day of the week.

A live performance doesn't have to be a note-for-note interpretation of an album track, don't you think?

A live performance doesn't have to be a note-for-note interpretation of an album track, don't you think?

We're not talking about leaving out a minor section. Whether you like the ending or not, it is responsible for the overall vibe of the song (and contributes to the atmosphere of the album in its entirety). It's like saying, we'll play To Bid You Farewell without the 'Devotion eludes..' heaviness. Where TBYF lifts as the song progresses, Burden goes from sappy to something wicked and haunting. So yeah, I think in this case it would be important to Mike to deliver the same or similar atmosphere, whether it be note for note or not.

We're not talking about leaving out a minor section. Whether you like the ending or not, it is responsible for the overall vibe of the song (and contributes to the atmosphere of the album in its entirety). It's like saying, we'll play To Bid You Farewell without the 'Devotion eludes..' heaviness. Where TBYF lifts as the song progresses, Burden goes from sappy to something wicked and haunting. So yeah, I think in this case it would be important to Mike to deliver the same or similar atmosphere, whether it be note for note or not.

I understand wanting to hear the song portrayed as accurately as possible, but I find it hard to believe they would avoid playing that song just because they can't replicate the de-tuned guitar at the end. I already remember Mikael saying somewhere (maybe the Watershed rehearsal DVD) that he could see it as a 'lighter' song when played live. I'd definitely like to hear it, as it would provide a nice break between heavier songs.