Opeth and Dream Theater

HemeHaci

Ken Masters
Jan 9, 2007
While watching the Burden video on roadrunner webpage there was this Mikael and Mike Portnoy interview displayed on the right. I watched it, they were chatting basically however the two bands seem to be close this is also based on the following: the concert together, James LaBrie singing In My Time of Need etc (correct me if I am wrong).

With this in mind wouldn't it be cool for Opeth to feature John Petrucci as a guest player on a song to play an awesome, long, very hard solo? I think it will be great so Opeth should make a propose about this to Mr Petrucci.

Your thoughts?

I don't think that is a good idea to bring DT members to play on a Opeth record, but it would be FANTASTIC if Mikael would sing on a DT album.

Mikael doesn't sing on Repentance, he talks. And please, no Petrucci on any Opeth song! Opeth isn't about wankery and playing 2 minute long wanksolos on the guitar. Petrucci has no fucking feeling in his playing.

Opeth have Fred, he can shred the shit out of every song if Mikael wanted.

Mikael doesn't sing on Repentance, he talks. And please, no Petrucci on any Opeth song! Opeth isn't about wankery and playing 2 minute long wanksolos on the guitar. Petrucci has no fucking feeling in his playing.
LOL, you are wrong, dude! Petrucci owns. If La Brie wasn't the singer, I'd totally love Dream Theater.

yea dude thats way naive of you to say that. can you see inside his soul? its nothing but emotion..now if you had said that about Yngwie I wouldnt have argued with you.

Just for reference's sake, I actually like alot of DT's stuff. And I want to correct what I said earlier a little bit - Petrucci's solos are what lacks feeling. You're free to disagree, of course ;) But I hear what I hear. And then again, the reason I actually replied to this thread was that the OP seemed to want Petrucci's shitty shredding in Opeth. Also, +1 to LaBrie being a shitty singer on most songs. I love him on The Glass Prison, however. :headbang:

Why does everybody always have to talk shit about LaBrie? The man can sing! I don't understand how people can listen to Images & Words and then have the balls to say he's a shitty singer.

As for Petrucci being a guest player on some Opeth material, why the fuck not? Dream Theater were gracious enough to have Mikael do some stuff on Systematic Chaos (even though it was only spoken word). It's only fair that Opeth return the favor.

Why the hell would I want Opeth ruined with "LOOK AT ME, LOOK WHAT I LEARNED AT MUSIC SCHOOL" solos, Opeth is about emotion and that's it :/

Why does everybody always have to talk shit about LaBrie? The man can sing! I don't understand how people can listen to Images & Words and then have the balls to say he's a shitty singer.

As for Petrucci being a guest player on some Opeth material, why the fuck not? Dream Theater were gracious enough to have Mikael do some stuff on Systematic Chaos (even though it was only spoken word). It's only fair that Opeth return the favor.

He can sing that's for sure, like a fag.

I find that the people who talk shit about Petrucci and DT are the jealous ones who wish they could do what DT does.

Is it such a crime that John Petrucci went to music school, learned a thing or two, and applies what he learned to his music?

Grow up. If you don't like the fact that Petrucci is a brilliant musician, you can simply not listen to the music. Nobody is forcing you to do so.