Burden MUST be played live!

not that i don't like this song, but its probably in the bottom 10 or 15 songs i'd want to see live (which includes every song on damnation- again not that i don't like them not just what i want to see live). TLE is really the only song off the new album i'd like to see live other than Heir.

We're not talking about leaving out a minor section. Whether you like the ending or not, it is responsible for the overall vibe of the song (and contributes to the atmosphere of the album in its entirety). It's like saying, we'll play To Bid You Farewell without the 'Devotion eludes..' heaviness. Where TBYF lifts as the song progresses, Burden goes from sappy to something wicked and haunting. So yeah, I think in this case it would be important to Mike to deliver the same or similar atmosphere, whether it be note for note or not.

Do you think the final section was written all along with the song or added as an afterthought?
Come on, be honest!:err:

Whether Mike wrote the majority of the song with the intention of having that outro, or whether he wrote the majority, was unhappy, and then wrote the ending, doesn't stray from the fact that the end product is what he wanted.

However, I sound really defensive but I wouldn't mind hearing Burden live without the ending. For in concert, you don't go for the album-vibe anyway.

I'd definitely like to hear it, as it would provide a nice break between heavier songs.

I agree, but currently, In My Time of Need serves this purpose.
A soft break is welcome, but just one! This ain't a Bon Jovi show after all!

Burden is an extremely well-written song that had an input from all band members. I'd really enjoy hearing Per's solo live - the man deserves to be in the spotlight!

I think In my time of need has overstayed it's welcome in the live setlist. Burden would be a nice substitution.

I'm all for Burdern being played live. :headbang: But then again I won't be too disappointed, because any other song from Watershed would be just as awesome,if not more, too. The Lotus Eater for one & Heir Apparent.

Fuck the detuned ending, they could just play it normal and then stop. :)
I'd like to see that too.

Now that I think about it, they should get Per to do something on the keyboards to haunt the ending. Something along the lines of the ending of Heir Apparent would be wicked after the beautiful 'acoustics'.

I agree that Burden would be awesome live, and i also think it's silly for people here to think that the ending would be such an obstacle. At the end of the song the lights go out and they could just play a recording of the ending while the band is tuning up and what not for the next song. Another possibilty is that mikael could play the part and than fredrik could play some sort of dissonant harmony over it and create some great live ending for it, or... for all i know they have an assortment of pedals and different shit that could recreate the sound. But i think it would be perfect if mike just played it and mendez walked over and starting tuning it down..