Burden MUST be played live!

Burden is an extremely well-written song that had an input from all band members. I'd really enjoy hearing Per's solo live - the man deserves to be in the spotlight!

+1

The keyboard solo makes that song for me and would be an obvious spot in the set to feature Per, maybe even extend it just a bit. Who gives a shit about the detuned ending? It sounds cool as hell on the record, but would be totally unnecessary and unwieldy to perform live.

I'd love for them to be playing it by the time they reach here (Australia)!
It's an amazing track, possibly my favourite on Watershed.

If they should add ONE song from Watershed to their live setlist, it's gotta be Hessian Peel. Brilliant song. If more, The Lotus Eater and Burden are obvious choices. But if they're gonna play one soft song, I'd rather see Windowpane.

Actually imagine burden being the opener for a set, I think that would be intersting, no doubt it would take everyone by surprise. As closer it would be too cheesy imo.

Anyway I love burden but I am reluctant to see it in a live set... I dont know why maybe because I'm afraid people would label opeth as cheesy, I certainly dont. After all opeth have so many "calm" tunes that they arent playing often. Imagine creedence on a genuine acoustic and not just clean guitar, now that would be something!

ou know what? - Fuqit!

Unlike some of the above-mentioned substitues Burdnen was NEVER played live.
It's a song that gives every Opeth member a highlight moment.

And it's a masterpiece.

jesus christ how do you guys like this song that much?
i feel like i could've written it.

i mean its not a bad song i just don't see whats so amazing about it. it feels the least like opeth as any song that they've ever recorded including covers.

Sadly, I must agree with Walls that 'Burden' does not sound much like an Opeth song to me. It sounds like Opeth doing an awesome job at covering someone else's song (except for the ending, which reminds me that it IS in fact an Opeth song).

That being said, I still think it'd be a pretty kick-ass live song, detuning at the end or no. (I agree with the idea someone had about Per doing some weird keyboard shit, maybe 'detuning' using his pitch-shifter.) It sounds like it was meant to be a live song - it just has that kind of energy. But if it was contending for the slot of 'the soft song of the set', I'd much rather hear 'Isolation Years', 'Windowpane', or 'Credence', in that order.

And then maybe they could play 'Would?'. =]

I'd love this song to make it to their setlist. I agree, the outro could easily be omitted.
I've found it difficult picking a favourite song from Watershed but I guess the fact I listen to this one more speaks for itself.

Sadly, I must agree with Walls that 'Burden' does not sound much like an Opeth song to me. It sounds like Opeth doing an awesome job at covering someone else's song (except for the ending, which reminds me that it IS in fact an Opeth song).

Aren't Opeth (well, Mike) constantly reinventing/evolving what Opeth's sound actually is with the release of each album?

yeah but i can listen to any other song and within 10 seconds tell its an opeth song. this one just strikes me as any rock ballad from the 70s that mike happens to be singing. What other full length opeth song with lyrics sounds like any other genre or stereotypical song? (maybe some on damnation i don't listen to that cd enough to know)

if i were to hear the tab for that Burden in Guitar Pro i would've never guessed it was a song by opeth.