Burning Cd's?

TestamentNut

Senior Shred Guitar Lord
Apr 1, 2002
yerma, mn
Visit site
james you had good points on why this ruins bands. i will only burn someone 1 cd of a band, if they want the rest i tell them to buy them all. a friend of mine who is a huge pink floyd fan burned me 2 of their cds and i got hooked by them. i have bought many of their cds since then. i think cd burning is ok as long as you dont give someone the entire cd.

I think cd copying is ok, so long as it is very small scale, as you say. I used to trade with guy, but this was only like 5 or 6. This I have no problem with. It's the buggers that go and do multiple copies for their friends. I got one Katatonia cd burned, I have bought 12 albums as a direct result of that one, there are another 5 or 6 I want, and I'll continue to support the bands related (Katatonia, October Tide, Diabolical Masquerade, Bloodbath, Opeth). However, I'm probably more principaled than most, being a musician myself. The big problem is the internet stuff, it's a great concept, but it's just too large scale to work. (I actually had a debate in a job interview with the guy that advises our coutrys minister for whatever it's called that deals with all this (it was a computer job)- I won too (he was in favour of it). Didn't get the job....). I'll burn to expose people to new stuff if I know they wouldn't buy it anyway, but I have rather strict limits on it, and it's a very occassional thing.

Yeah, there's just something about hahving the case and booklet and all that is cool. The cd-r's that I do have (that don't suck) I will buy if I ever see them in the shop (or order once I get a job...)

Hmm. I don't see anything wrong with burning a cd. Infact I think all of Creed's realeses should be set a blaze and tossed in the fire place.....

oh wait... You mean making an illegal version of copyrighted music onto a CDR. Of course thats ok! :} cause in all actuality it's not the true authentic music you are making a double of if you go by mp3s. It may sound close to it but it isn't the real thing. It's just a bunch of digital crap decoded from fake mp3s that have no dynamics. It's like hearing someone over a phone. You don't think thats their actuall voice you're hearing do you? It's just digital mumbo jumbo to make it sound like it really is what it should be. This is why I hate taking the time to find that certain quality mp3, since I've heard so much about what is good quality and what isn't. You end up going around in circles about what would burn right. Plus having the ear for detail, every mp3 I listen to you can hear all the artifacts and junk that the actuall discs don't have. It's so much more pure on actuall cds. no flaws.

I have burned very little cdrs and when I do it's usually cause I can't find a copy of that certain rare cd or it's a cd that I don't absolutely think my money should go to because it doesn't fullfill all my needs as a listener. Mostly thats anything thats so overly pushed into our faces through magazines or MTV. They make enough money off blind folks. why should someone who isn't have to pay for their scheme's success? I also hate cdrs alot for the reason yourdeadgroom mentioned about not having the actuall packaging and production of the artwork and cd inlays. I'm a collector of sorts and you become a freak about it if you don't have everything that's to complete the memorabilia. Like with James Murphy. If I was just some burning leech and not bought the cds (As I did) I would of never known about the cool quotes on the inside cover or who the musicians who played on it were or the thank you section. Same goes for every cd. You'd be surprised what you miss out on when you don't buy the original cds of the music that moves your soul.

JAH

Personally, I like to hear 2-4 MP3s of a band before I'm willing to buy anything, but if I like something I will buy it (unless it's out of print or a horribly expensive Japanese import) mainly because I like the higher sound quality of the CDs. I don't burn CDs (except for duplicate copies for my car, stereo, etc.) because I don't see how this does anything but harm the artist. I will, however, share MP3s, but only a few, and not a whole album's worth.