Converting your friends?

InFlames235

Apr 20, 2002
Danville, CA
Visit site
Well I must say I had a great today for this one reason. My friend who kept bashing on Opeth even though he never heard them, now likes them. I let him borrow a CD and over the weekend he bought 2 Opeth cd's and burned 2 other CD's from them (even though he should have bought those as well :erk:). So has anyone else converted your friends?

I've gotten my two best friends into them, I've gotten my girlfriend into them, and I plan to bring my little brother with me to see them live on the 28th.

My girlfriend. I dont want to convert any others. I already had one friend who dig them. So thats 2 people I know besides myself. But most of my friends are trendrockers. I tried to push some metal songs on them before to no avail.

I've only gotten my brother into Opeth, which is weird cause he's older than me. I don't like to convert my friends into Opeth, or any of the bands I listen to...they are mostly emo kids or just to stuck on static-x and whatnot..they just need time, but if one of my friends asks for new bands..I'll gladly help them out.

Reactions: Steve
InFlames235 said:
. So has anyone else converted your friends?

Yup my friends and my cousin that I took to the Orlando show were all converts thanks to me. In fact, anyone at my school who likes Opeth only kows about them because of me.

I've turned a few metal-heads onto them. My non-metal friend kinda likes them now after listening to them on shrooms.

I tried unsuccessfully with a co-worker. He likes old-school metal and nu-metal, but is basically unaware of anything else (like current real metal hahaha). But he seemed open-minded so I let him borrow my Blackwater Park CD.

When he gave it back, I could tell he really didn't like it that much, and I assumed it was because of the "death" vocals. But it wasn't that. He said he doesn't like long songs. He prefers songs to be around 3-5 minutes and that's it. o_O

I just thought that was kind of...odd. :err:

What a way to limit yourself.

People have different reasons for listening to music and different tastes. I know alot of academically smart people who listen to ganster rap, techno, and the other dumb, mind-numbing music. I guess, when you're so intelligen, you kinda get bored with all things smart, so logically as far as music goes, rap and certain techno will offer them the stupidity they want.

But for a more general response to the topic, I've let my friends listen to Opeth, but judging from their lukewarm response, they don't really get it. It's understandable. Everything they listen to is controlled by the airwaves, TV, and the mainstream society. I don't even bother anymore. At least, I get to be the one with good taste in music...;)

I did, however, turn the attention of my cousin from just techno, to include prog-metal, like Dream Theater. I made him listen to Opeth, but clearly he wasn't 'ready' for them yet. I used the word 'ready' becuase that's what he told me. He knew by the way I describe Opeth that it must be really good music. So in other words, he basically implies that he's not worthy of appreciating Opeth yet. Damn, talk about respect. :D

Apprentice's Master said:
I know alot of academically smart people who listen to ganster rap, techno, and the other dumb, mind-numbing music. I guess, when you're so intelligen, you kinda get bored with all things smart, so logically as far as music goes, rap and certain techno will offer them the stupidity they want.
That is so fucking ludicrous.

Apprentice's Master said:
But true. Some people listen to music solely to waste time. It's a very casual thing, with no thought involved. You know...kinda like elevator music. It's just there.

This is true. I know several people who I consider to be very smart, but they simply do not listen to music for the same reasons that I do (and probably almost everyone here if I may be so presumptious). They just seem to like to have something entertaining in the background, not something to really put a lot of thought into or analyze or get emotionally involved in. Some people just like music for different reasons.