Trying to buy Opeth records in Sweden - harder than you might think!

RiffBoy

Fret Buzzer
Nov 21, 2005
Sweden
It is more of an ordeal than you might guess!!

Here's a true story of me at home in Stockholm, Sweden, trying (HARD) to buy records of my favourite swedish band Opeth. You might say... "Why doesn't he simply go to the local record store, just picking up the records today...?"
Well... guess!?
They don't have them!

So... ten days ago I ordered three Opeth records (BWP, D & D) from the SWEDISH web-shop: "Cdon.com".
Ten days and I'm still waiting!! :yell:
I'm like... "Hey guys! I've got the money, don't you WANT to sell any records, or what?!!" o_O

A couple of days earlier I ordered "MAYH" from the USA/Florida based "Caiman.com" (via Amazon.co.uk). They are a great place to buy new cd's at reasonable prices, often promptly delivered!
Today I got a mail from Caiman.com saying that they have now shipped the album to me. This is great. Really. (I love americans now - at least they really HELP me! - Cudos to the good people at Caiman!)

But, should it really be this hard to buy Opeth albums!?! I do want to support Opeth and I just want to get their records! Am I supposed to privately import from across the Atlantic, to buy swedish music in Sweden. (Do the record companies WANT me to burn cd's - or what?!?)
:loco:

What's YOUR experience - fellow swedes; and also fellow worldwide Opeth-fans?

I think Amazon has been prompt sending me all the stuff I have... and the shops around here, or shop really always have most of the collection... I never really look as I have the CD's already and not many other bands I listen to begin with O so I don't really see the O section. But from memory I've seen most of the albums in there, besides MA,YH. But Amazon is much easier and often cheaper, in general and for Opeth. Dunno how good the Swedish Amazon is, or if they have one? I'd assume so though!

Jag har faktiskt aldrig haft några problem från varken cdon.com eller annat ställe. Dessutom finns det rätt mycket på tradera och på spelningar.

Erkänn som det är, du lyssnar inte på Opeth utan vill bara vara cool. ;)

What about Sound Polution records store in "Gamla Stan"!?!?!?!?... I always look their "online" catalogue before to go to Stockholm... They have almost all the Opeth Cds!... maybe that was just bad luck!

vampyrouss said:
Dunno how good the Swedish Amazon is, or if they have one? I'd assume so though!

There is no swedish Amazon - so I use the UK Amazon... they're fine.

Really? No swedish Amazon? haha, I am amazed! But yeah, Amazon.co.uk is perfect for anyones Opeth needs!

Powers said:
I go to Music Zone, HMV or Virgin and they're there. Much easier to find since they signed to Roadrunner as well.

It's weird where I am. All of the Music Zones around here never had Opeth until they signed to RR, but they NEVER have GR, only MAYH, Orchid and occasionally BWP. HMV and Virgin had them all, until they singed to RR, and now they only have GR (and about a million copies of it too).

That's why I buy everything online: cheaper and you're almost guarenteed to get what you want! :)

That's unfair being in Sweden and not having access to the albums... the record store I frequent usually has orchid and bwp in stock!!

I remember ordering Porcupine Tree's Deadwing DVDA from cdon.com, and waiting and waiting and waiting. Then after a couple of weeks, I just ordered it from amazon.de instead, and they shipped it the same day.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Luckily the only Opethian objects of affection I had to buy online were Still Life and Lamentations. (Got em both last of all albums, at the same time.)

Same here. You'd think they'd be easier to nab. MAYH and Deliverance are also a bit of a challenge to find.

Safe bets: Orchid, BWP, Morningrise, and GR - always in stores.

I've had many bad experieces with cdon.com. Once I had to wait for my order for about three months. :(

But they usually have everything cheaper than anyplace else, so I'm still stuck with them.

Opeth is considered "mainstream" enough to be sold in big CD stores here (Budapest, Hungary.) Also, there are some metal-specific smaller shops scattered across the city. However, I prefer to buy online since for some reason (?) it is cheaper to mailorder CDs from abroad. I usually order from Grau or Life mailorder. Great people there. Sometime I use Amazon (.de, .com or .co.uk, whichever has better price and availability) as well. Occasionally I have to hunt for a CD on Gemm.com :)

Opeth are/were surprisingly easy to get in Denmark. I've always known about the band even before I started to listen to metal, because I would always see Opeth albums in the music stores

Some are hard to find in the UK. Orchid, Morningrise, Still Life, MAYH and Ghost Reveries are easy to find.

Deliverance used to be easy to find.

Blackwater Park and Damnation are the hardest to find. I ordered Damnation from a small record store in London as they were the only site that had any copies - 6th or 7th page of Google, lmao

BWP I ordered from Amazon UK, after 3 months I got fed up, they kept delaying the despatch date so I cancelled from them and ordered it from Amazon US - it was here in 2 weeks and it was only £12!