Trying to buy Opeth records in Sweden - harder than you might think!

RiffBoy said:
What's YOUR experience - fellow swedes; and also fellow worldwide Opeth-fans?

Nice question heh, I live in Argentina and yeah, it's very difficult to find their cd's, in fact is a pain in the ass.
So when they were supposed to COME AND PLAY in Chile (well, it wasn't their fault anyways, so FUCK YOU very much to the fucking producer in Mexico that screwed the fucking show in Chile) I travelled with a friend, then we found out that they weren't coming so I spent my savings buying their cd´s.
I had to buy them in another country... that's sad and of course it sucks.

1 Recap
--------

Ok, so I have already ordered BwP, De, Da - from cdon.com... All I can do now, really, is just sit and wait. 12 days, and counting... Because even IF I would find those albums in some shop - I can't undo my order...

I'm not really surprised about this ordeal - it's just very annoying, and somewhat of an outrage. Just because I love Opeth so much!

2 My own survey
-----------------

But as I told you those albums are hard to get, today I visited the three largest stores in Stockholm to check my story!

- ÅhlensCity: some copies of GR. Nothing else.
- NK: One copy of GR. [They didn't even have a "slot" for Opeth in their cd racks... GR was put in some odd display for mixed albums.]
- Mega: One GR, two MR, one SL. [Wow - three titles!]

So... BwP, De, Da - those albums were nowhere in sight!

I have earlier checked out three established used record stores (based in Stockholm) for Opeth:
- "Marquee"
- "Cosmo's"
- "StockholmsSkivbörs"

Guess what?!
That's right - no Opeth albums at all...

3 Later
-------

On Monday I will check that record shop in Gamla Stan (the Old Town part of Stockholm) "Sound Pollution" that someone recommended (- Thanks!)

Then later on I will visit more record stores. Then I will give my findings (to you of course, come back here soon) to the newspapers - because this is a scandal! ;-)

Sweden's finest - nowhere to be found! :yell:

RiffBoy said:
A couple of days earlier I ordered "MAYH" from the USA/Florida based "Caiman.com" (via Amazon.co.uk). They are a great place to buy new cd's at reasonable prices, often promptly delivered!

Second'd. I've gotten a lot of CDs from caiman.com and they've got great prices, fast shipping, the whole deal. Great selection too.

When it comes to record-shops in Norway; I've never seen any Opeth CDs on display. They're always temporary out of stock for Opeth! I have been to numerous record-shops like Platekompaniet, Free Record Shop and Music Box in my country and I've always been confronting an open section with a title-card "Opeth". So this have resaulted in me gettting all my Opeth cds at Cdon.com (I have never'ever had problems with 'em) Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com. Amazon is the best!

Yeah. I've always thought it was weird that Sweden, with so many great metal bands, almost has no metal CDs in the record stores. I've only found 3 stores with a good selection of metal. I don't remember what the 3rd one is right now, but the other two are Sound Pollution and Mellotronen. Both are in Gamla Stan, Stockholm.

I haven't been to Mellotronen for quite a while, but Sound Pollution always has a good collection of great metal bands. It's been my favourite record store since the early 90's.

When I used to live in norhern Sweden, my brother and I actually once flew down to Stockholm (2 hours by plane, which beats 16 hours by car), just to go to Sound Pollution to buy a big bunch of CDs. It was worth it. :D

Ok - bumping my own thread for ON-topic reasons!! :)

Finally got Deliverence today!! It took me more than two months! I got it used (but it was NEW and
wrapped) from a guy in the USA (Amazon.com used stuff service).

BWP is on its way, I heard. But I'm still waiting for Damnation...

Cheesh - what a wait!!

A lot of sites lists all of Opeth's albums but when you order them (I've tried!) the just don't send any... cause they don't have them! :loco:

PS. Stilgar - I phoned the metal record store here in Stockholm - Sound Pollution - and the just said they didn't have any Opeth albums right now. No help there.

Indrid Cold said:
Same here. You'd think they'd be easier to nab. MAYH and Deliverance are also a bit of a challenge to find.

Safe bets: Orchid, BWP, Morningrise, and GR - always in stores.

i don't know wherabouts in MA you live, but Best Buy in Nashua, NH frequently has deliverance in stock.

Stilgar said:
Yeah. I've always thought it was weird that Sweden, with so many great metal bands, almost has no metal CDs in the record stores. I've only found 3 stores with a good selection of metal. I don't remember what the 3rd one is right now, but the other two are Sound Pollution and Mellotronen. Both are in Gamla Stan, Stockholm.

I haven't been to Mellotronen for quite a while, but Sound Pollution always has a good collection of great metal bands. It's been my favourite record store since the early 90's.

When I used to live in norhern Sweden, my brother and I actually once flew down to Stockholm (2 hours by plane, which beats 16 hours by car), just to go to Sound Pollution to buy a big bunch of CDs. It was worth it. :D
Where in Gamla Stan is Sound Pollution located? Tired of buying everything online.

BTW I once saw Still Life at Rocks. DIGI-pack.:ill:

Sound pollution - Stora Nygatan 18 Phone: 08-106660

It's just the trio of Deliverence, Damnation and Blackwater Park that's so hard to find right now... At least here in Europe.

PS
Tack "Larsson" för att du tog bort bilden på den där foten - den var läskig! Nu har du en mycket snyggare avatar!! :)

When I was there there was an awesome record store in Gamla Stan called Mellotronen that specialized in prog... is it still around?

there is also a specialty heavy metal music shop in Uppsala called Head Mechanic.

Hope you are enjoying the scenery:loco:

yeah its kinda weird that the states have Opeth merch. more available to purchase than Opeth's homeland...i live in arkansas "redneck capital of the world", and ive seen almost atleast 4 different albums in each store.

Thanks for the sympathy...

I thought the mission would be easier... getting all Opeth albums...
But at least now I've got 5 of the 8 albums. And BWP in the mail...
It only has taken a little more than 2 months, as I said above.

***Opeth officials and Roadrunner people - listen up! ***

Re-release all albums post haste... we are many around the globe wanting to buy the music.

Long live Opeth!

(Hurrah, hurrah!)
:)

Factorplayer said:
When I was there there was an awesome record store in Gamla Stan called Mellotronen that specialized in prog... is it still around?

there is also a specialty heavy metal music shop in Uppsala called Head Mechanic.

Hope you are enjoying the scenery:loco:
Mellotronen still exists (see my previous post).

RiffBoy said:
Ok - bumping my own thread for ON-topic reasons!! :)

Finally got Deliverence today!! It took me more than two months! I got it used (but it was NEW and
wrapped) from a guy in the USA (Amazon.com used stuff service).

BWP is on its way, I heard. But I'm still waiting for Damnation...

Cheesh - what a wait!!

A lot of sites lists all of Opeth's albums but when you order them (I've tried!) the just don't send any... cause they don't have them! :loco:

PS. Stilgar - I phoned the metal record store here in Stockholm - Sound Pollution - and the just said they didn't have any Opeth albums right now. No help there.
Hmm... When I was last in Stockholm center, I saw a few Opeth albums at MegaRecords... And I also saw a few in a record store on Drottninggatan between the center and Gamla Stan. Don't remember the name of the store, but there can't be that many there.