Converting your friends?

A friend of mine asked me to describe Opeth, before I could even begin, another friend of mine who knows what it's all about, said it was just noise and screaming and sheep's blood and shit. Stupid faggots, so I gave it up.

I've converted at least 3.

Oddly enough, my one friend who is a rap, hip-hop, r&b guy, really dug Blackwater Park when I was listening to it.

I know alot of academically smart people who listen to ganster rap, techno, and the other dumb, mind-numbing music. I guess, when you're so intelligen, you kinda get bored with all things smart, so logically as far as music goes, rap and certain techno will offer them the stupidity they want.

I certainly do not fit into this mold...I usually demand more from my music. I think it needs to be said, however, that I play guitar, so I tend to listen to more demanding music solely from that aspect.

It goes without saying that a lot of intellectual people listen to "mind-numbing" music, just as a lot of people of numb mind listen to "intellectual" music, possibly without even getting it. It's what appeals to you, which is probably partly due to socialization as a child and stuff.

I've attempted this with four people. The first, took my advice without listening to them, and got Still Life when it came out.His first response was, "it's ok". I told him the first few times you listen to it, it's a lot to take in, being that they(OPETH) have so many intricate parts in every song. Years later, he freaked when I told him they were coming to Florida. I don't see this guy very often, so he obviously gave them more time to sink in. I just saw them at the Orlando show, and asked my friends to go, because my best friend couldn't because he had a tooth pulled that day. So I gave my other friend the ticket. He's said to me before years ago, upon hearing Opeth, that he thinks thy're good,but they wouldbe better if they didn't growl." All during the show, he turned to me, and said " I am really impressed! They got some great guitar solos, and the bassist and drummer are awesome!" After the show, he asked which album he should start with. I've learned that when exsposing new people to Opeth, you can't force it, and you have to tell them that they are the type of band that reveal more and more each time you listen to them..and if they give Opeth more than a listen or two, you'll end up really liking them.

Skullzz said:
I've gotten my two best friends into them, I've gotten my girlfriend into them, and I plan to bring my little brother with me to see them live on the 28th.
woo! i will be at that show with two of my friends that i have converted to the dark side

A friend introduced me into Opeth saying it was total crap. I just loved it instantly.

Now I got my youger brother into them and I'm trying hard to convert the guitarist in my band because that's the kind of stuff I want to do.

Definitely had some 'success' with the Opeth conversion. I took one of my friends to see them Monday, and he definitely has a greater appreciation for them now. Granted he prefers the lighter stuff, but everything comes with time. He's recovering from Enya (well, i guess i like some of her stuff too :ill: ), so i'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

And regarding intelligent people listening to mindless music...that's definitely a terrible generalization. People listen to what makes them feel good at the moment.

Some people like dancing, so they like techno/hip-hop. That's fine. I hate dancing, so though i can appreciate interesting beats in hip-hop and cool melodies in trance and techno etc., i'd much rather put on some Tool or Opeth and let the music wash over me. Also, as someone who would be considered 'intelligent' (being in med school and all), do i listen to mindless music? I'd like to think not. But i'd be lying if i said i didn't own most of the Korn records, or if i said i didn't like Eminem and Missy. Sometimes the labeling of nu-metal, pansy music, etc etc etc gets extremely banal. Let people be....it's all a question of maturity, not what music you listen to.
Music should suit the mood, and sometimes....mindless just suits the mood.

My opinion...feel free to tell me why i'm wrong, since i'm expecting it anytime now :)

I got a friend so into Opeth, it became his favorite all-time band surpassing his beloved Pantera by miles. He's such a big fan, he's trying to convert other people onto Opeth. I then took him to an Opeth concert. Opeth is his God now. His mission is convertying as many people to Opeth as possible . no Joke! Another friend just can't get past the vocals.

i had some atheist friends, but i did convert them. i read them some of the Gospel and they cried in my arms and changed their ways. i told them about the love of Christ and how Jesus put psilocybin juice in the wine, and that that motherfucker likes to trip. i also told them how christianity is the newest religion and jesus fucked mother mary on the cross. one time i masturbated to drawings of mother mary in my kidz bible.

who fucking cares about converting your friends you asshole. i hate you more than ever and never will you know until now, unless this is ever and never happened. you are like a virus to this message board. the only cure for this one is smiling.

sorry if you guys dont like me. i like you all very much and i am listening to Sigh.

hugz and kissez
<3 Apoc Montgomery Williamson Jr III

I got a friend into Opeth and another even more into Opeth... I kind of picky about who I tell about them though, since I feel that Opeth should be heard by people who might actually like them and appreciate their music...

N1Ne said:
And regarding intelligent people listening to mindless music...that's definitely a terrible generalization. People listen to what makes them feel good at the moment.

Some people like dancing, so they like techno/hip-hop. That's fine. I hate dancing, so though i can appreciate interesting beats in hip-hop and cool melodies in trance and techno etc., i'd much rather put on some Tool or Opeth and let the music wash over me. Also, as someone who would be considered 'intelligent' (being in med school and all), do i listen to mindless music? I'd like to think not. But i'd be lying if i said i didn't own most of the Korn records, or if i said i didn't like Eminem and Missy. Sometimes the labeling of nu-metal, pansy music, etc etc etc gets extremely banal. Let people be....it's all a question of maturity, not what music you listen to.
Music should suit the mood, and sometimes....mindless just suits the mood.

My opinion...feel free to tell me why i'm wrong, since i'm expecting it anytime now :)
Not a wide generalization, just a local observation. I'm not speakin for all 'intelligent' people, just some of the people I've encountered with. I even stated that people have their own reasons and preferences. Just a matter of reading more thoroughly.

I tried to get all my mates into them...but to no avail. I guess it was a combination of the death-style vox and the songs being very long. I tried to imply that they're a band that needs to be actually listened to, that they mix a lot of acoustic/classical style playing and clean vocals into the distortion and growling. But like I said, it was to no avail. I did however get one guy at my work, sort of a mate, into them.

mysweetdeath said:
Yup my friends and my cousin that I took to the Orlando show were all converts thanks to me. In fact, anyone at my school who likes Opeth only kows about them because of me.
Thats similar to my situation .. in fact there aren't many people in my school who would be listening to anything beside "'tallica" and other stupid shit if I hadn't of showed up. There is a group of about 50 people in my school right now who listen to Opeth, In Flames, Radiohead, Tool, Floyd, Hendrix and what not.
Most of those bands are popular but not at our school.. most people think they are the most original shit because they drive in their shitty civics with sound systems that are worth more than the worthless piece of shit they are driving. The people who are 'converted' on the other hand are no better .. I don't think they for one minute understand Opeth and Radiohead anymore than the shitheads who listen to rap ....they probably only listen to it to impress me and the people who I know or to be 'different' or something stupid like that. High school is fucking gay ... people actually suck up to me and people i've played in bands with because we seem like we know shit about music and that we might go somewhere someday.. that is pathetic.

A bit off-topic but somehow related I suppose
School puts you in some weird situations and really makes you think about what you like and why you like it and so many people hate it. I really wonder why so many people lie and try to get on our side by saying they like Opeth/Tool and making conversation about it when really they are fans of rap .... I really have no buisness bashing people who listen to rap or pop because it's just fucking music, I wouldn't bash someone if they had a different computer type or lived on a different street butttttttttttttttttt if a person on a different street were to attempt on lying to me about which one they like the most, just to mock me or cover up that they live in a trailor (if I lived in a very upper-class part of town) , i'd think they were a low-life sucker.

Why do teenagers feel the need to mask themselves just to seem up to par with me and our 'group' of people? The situation is more than likely different at other schools but here our little circle of musicians and people who really respect talent and aren't completely oblvious to what happens around them, have kinda taken over our school and we are starting to warp the young minds that have came to our school in the last year...... so rap is kinda looked down upon in our school these days.

Unfortunately there will still be those idiots who think that "tupac is still real maaaaaaaaaannnnn I feel it in my heart ," and those who will walk our hallways trying to pronounce Schism and pick out the band names on our shirts only to make a conversation about it the week later and pretend they know something about music. As you can tell im very sick of the immaturity and bullshit which takes place in highschools in regards to popularity and social status ... listen to your fucking stupid rap I DON'T GIVE a SHIT.. it's not me, I am not being a degenerate copy of my stupid friends.

Sorry for being such a whinny bitch but I have just realized in the last few months that everyone I know and everyone at my school, no matter what music they like or who they hang out with, is just a copy of a copy.... which brings me to the conclusion that even though I love music and it is my life It will never be something which is purely of my interest because as long as you continue to live around people you will be constantly influenced.

Shitty deals but none of us here are any more or less original than the next. Which is the point of this post isn't it? ... to declare that not many people listen to this type of music.. or that none of our friends listen to it and that we are the best thing since slice bread right? Im not trying to say that this is how it is or anything but I have found that way too many people are into Opeth(metal) just fot the satisfaction of knowing that they have some very 'original' characteristic. There is more to a person than the music they listen to .... some people don't understand that .. or am I just being a hypocrite

I am very sorry for this stupid post and my incoherency im only a worthless HIGH school student

dude I completely fucking agree with you. Even though my friend that i "converted" says he likes Opeth i highly doubt it. The only reason I think he is saying he likes them is because he wants to seem to cool or something but I can see right through it. I mean when someone says "I can HANDLE his vocals" I think that sort of says right there that they really do not like the band.

I absolutely love Mike's vocals but he just says he can only HANDLE them. I feel that is an insult for him to be listening to them but not really liking them in the first place. You don't seem like a "whiny bitch" to me, I wish more people felt the way you feel and after reading your post I totally agree. No one I knew told me about Opeth, I just downloaded their music and totally fell in love.

Anyways, I don't think that people should try to be something they aren't. By saying you like music that you don't your just being a poser and that's just fucking retarded. Again, I completely agree with you. :headbang: