But I Went To The London Gig!

TheMindzI

Denial serves me
Oct 17, 2001
Piraeus, Greece
Mwahaha :p Well.. here's my little story
I just study in the UK (Brighton) and I'd never been to London before. Moreover I don't know any metalheads here.. so I decided to go to the show on my own.
I took the bus to Brighton from the university at about 16:10. I DIDN'T know where the train station is but ok finally I found it. I asked for a ticket for Camden, but the guy told me there are 2 Camden stations.. Camden Town and Camden Road. Needless to say that I didn't even know where I wanted to go :p Anyway I took Camden Town just by luck (I think it's the english climate.. I feel way too lucky here :)). But guess what.. there were 3-4 platforms, and again I didn't know which train to get on. I picked one (again my luck helped me) but it was an express train for London Victoria. I thought there was a train going directly to Camden Town and at that time I just wanted to kill myself for being a jerk and not asking. I would miss the concert, my precious money, time and I would probably get lost :)
Anyway I asked some guy, got the underground to Euston, then asked again, and finally got to Camden town. I got off of the train and.. oh.. heaven! I saw a couple of guys with long hair and spikes and stuff and I knew that was it! It was SOOOO relieving. I even found the Underworld myself.. it was about 100 feets away :p
I had already bought a ticket through the web. I would pick it up from the venue. It was about 18:50. Luckily nothing went wrong.. :) I got home at 1:40.. exhausted.. wet.. about £50-55 poorer.. well.. whatever.. at least I got a t-shirt and a flag :p
No comments on God Forbid and Katatonia. The playlist for Opeth was:

1. The Leper Affinity
2. White Cluster
3. Forest Of October
4. Credence
5. Bleak
6. When
7. The Drapery Falls
8. Advent
9. Demon Of The Fall (encore)

I don't know what to say. Words CAN'T (edited: it was "can" :p) describe how I felt. The truth is that I thought their music is way too complex to be performed PERFECT on stage. I didn't believe they would make it. But they did. They were FUCKIN PERFECT! I also thought Mikael IS Opeth. Fuck no! All four of them are GREAT!
They were headbanging all the time and there was not a single mistake! OK there were a couple of minor importance and silly ones.. but just on the last 2-3 songs.. and I think it was just because of tiredness.
Their show lasted for about 1.5 hour. It made me realize that MYAH really is my favorite album and When probably my fav Opeth song. Did I tell you it was a sold-out show? :p
Anyway I'm over-enthusiastic right now.. I'll be ecstatic for a week or something :) I may have forgotten something important.. I don't know.. I'll be here for any questions :p c'yaaaaaaaaaa

It was a fantastic show. The best I've ever seen them. I've got a sore neck from the headbanging and I totally forgot to take any live photos..

It was nice to see them all again. Here's a couple of pics I managed to take afterwards:

Martin and Me in suitable death metal pose:

Attachments

• martinlee.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 185
Originally posted by Lee_B
It was a fantastic show. The best I've ever seen them. I've got a sore neck from the headbanging and I totally forgot to take any live photos..

A fantastic show indeed :D THE best gig I have ever seen. The only thing which dissapointed me was that 2 of my friends weren't there to witness it with me (couldn't get tickets). But rest assured they will be hearing about it everyday for the rest of my life.

A truly mind blowing night, I can't move my head now through headbanging too much. Thanks Lee_B for discovering this genious of a band - I am eternally greatful and am at your constant service ;)

To top it all off, I also met Steven Wilson after the show. I don't think it gets much better than that.....

Originally posted by Graveless Soul

To top it all off, I also met Steven Wilson after the show. I don't think it gets much better than that.....

DAMN!!! well i saw the Akercocke bloke at the bar after, for the 2nd time in a few weeks! and to top it off the same people that were next to me at Gutworm, Labrat. were next to me at this Opeth show. wierd. anyway themindzeye pretty much said it but i'll try and say more.

ok first off to continue with the wierd stories i told my mate to meet us down at the station at 5:45, now, at 6:00 i left my house as my other mates met at my house. we got to the end of the road (its a long road, takes 10 mins to walk down) when i asked my friend ''oh well, might as well get it outta the way, have you got your tickets'' (expecting a reply of well obviously! why ask such a stupid question...) but yes you guessed, the bag with my nice new SOLACE DENIED cd he got me off the net was also the bag he left the tickets in! so anyway by the time we done all that and got to the station it was 6:20, and my mate wasn't there. we got the train to Camden and we saw him in Mc Donalds, anyway with that outta the way lets move on to the main bit, the GIG!:

ok, went in and realised that Opeth stuff would sell out quick! i already have 2 katatonia shirts so i dint need another, listened to the first Novembre song, went to queue for shirts, by the time i got them and got back into the pit there were only 2 more Novembre songs left to hear. but without sounding rude i prefered the stuff i heard on MP3 a few hours before the gig, there were sound board problems and this ate up a bit of their time.

anyway next came Katatonia :D their set, in no particular order:

Deadhouse
Chrome
For My Demons
hmn i'll finish this later but basically (songs 2,4,6,8,10, f
from last fair deal, my friend noticed the patern, cant be asked to type the rest now)

anyway i was really upset at the lack of both headbanging and movement during Katatonia!!!! i was sick! maybe 5 people were nodding their head near the front, including me! damn you all!

Katatonia were i think good but lacked that sparkle they had when i saw them back in June, still really good though.

now to opeth, first time ive seen them and they didnt dissapoint.
well youve seen the set and Mikael seemed really happy with the response of the crowd. he sort of dedicated Forest Of October to good old Lee_B, saying something like ''are there any old fans here?(crowd cheer) except Lee Barret of course'' and at the end they clapped us and Mikael said we were great :) after a great performance of Advent they left the stage but we all knew they were coming back for Demon Of The Fall Mikael saying ''ok this is our definate last one, its a fast one and you can all go mad and stage dive'' it was great but if i was to be critical i might have said it wasn't a brilliant Demon of the fall (but it was still awesome)
i was shouting for When and i got it! yay! Mikael said that not many/no one seems to recognise this song when weve been playing it on the tour, so im glad some of you have shouted it.

anyway as for making a fool of myself, i went up to some bloke who i thought was old gramps godisanathiest, and asked, do the words godisanathiest mean anything to you, he then went on to explain some theories about stuff, anyway he puked up im told and he had a mullet :lol: anyway if you dont know, i was the one who shouted White Cluster (i cheated as i knew they've been playing it on the tour as second song, but i looked clever so :p ) and if you still dont know who i am, i was also doing this :headbang: from the bit in Credence where he says the once unkown...Karma (so i had my hand up for about a minute or two, like an idiot... :D

thanks Opeth and Katatonia it was brilliant! :D

First of all .. it's not MindzEye, MindsEye or whatever.. it's TheMindzI :)
And _Transparent_.. the supporting act was Novembre or God Forbid? I haven't seen or listened to any of those bands before so I wouldn't know the difference.. but I think it was God Forbid..

@Melancholia: You could have asked for one.. I'll be in Greece in a week :)

Originally posted by TheMindzI
First of all .. it's not MindzEye, MindsEye or whatever.. it's TheMindzI :)
And _Transparent_.. the supporting act was Novembre or God Forbid? I haven't seen or listened to any of those bands before so I wouldn't know the difference.. but I think it was God Forbid..

hmn, considering ive seen God Forbid in June and have liked em ever since im pretty sure they weren't playing, it was deffinately Novembre, they gave it away that it was them when they said their name and sounded completely different to GF :) it was meant to be God Forbid but they cancelled the tour. anyway i thought it was unfair as they started playing as soon as doors opened and so had a small crowd.

They said their name? So my english are worst than I thought :p Anyway they had that "latin" accent.. I couldn't understand a lot of things.. and no that's not an excuse, my english still sux :)

They said their name? So my english are worst than I thought :p Anyway they had that "latin" accent.. I couldn't understand a lot of things.. and no that's not an excuse, my english still sux :)

thats ok, and its better than any other language i can speak that isnt english, anyway you should go to GF website, i cant remember the site name but they are completely different to Novembre and are American. :D

One more thing: It was Opeth's first time in the UK after 4 years. They had played with Cradle Of Filth back then. Mikael said all this stuff. Just because some of you were wondering, including myself :)

I hate you all!!!!!!!!!!!:( :( :( :(

Not really - I'm just jealous. I still have the unused tickets in my car from the May Opeth/Nevermore show that at the last minute I couldn't go to - oh well, family must always come first.

Ah,i had no idea.... :cry: anyway I shouldn't be greedy...I already have an Opeth TShirt,3 Haunted ones,2 Hypocrisy,2 At the gates,2 Limbonic Art,a Mayhem (which i never wear haha),a self-made Ved Buens Ende,a self-made Isengard...and...and...

Oh,well even if you brought me this hooded-love-shirt,I would still hate you :p
:D
oh,well you lost an awesome God Dethroned and Marduk gig anyway :p
*acting like a 3 year old*