Buy a Sansamp PSA-1 or keep the ValveKing?

Jan 25, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
When I was a total noob I bought the Peavey Valveking head and a XXX cab because I wanted something for live use and practicing. I am not too happy with the valveking lately, so I'm considering getting rid of it. I need to keep the cab because I need something to practice with and don't own a PA system. Also, I cut the grill for easy micing, so I don't know how much a buyer would like that :loco: Does a sansamp sound good through a cab and can it even run through a cab? What other devices would you suggest for about a 400 dollar price range? Does anybody want to buy a Valveking :saint:?

you can't just run the sansamp into the cab, you need a poweramp-and have you tried the sansamp through a guitar poweramp into a guitar cabinet? Because I know alot guys who don't like that sound.
The guitar player in my new band uses a Valveking, too-throws a TS7 in front of it and get's a nice sound (with LTD JH600) out of it.
If I were you-I would try many different settings and boost the Valveking.

+2 to what StefTD said - you still need a power amp if you buy the Sansamp.

Yeah what steff said, another one up for that. the sansamp is a preamp, it won't power up a cab, you need a power amp for that. and a friend of mine has exactly that rig (valveking head, XXX cab) and it sounds pretty cool and he plays traditional death metal, like steff said you can put a TS in front of it and make it sound better.

My vote is ditch the Valveking, forget about the PSA-1 unless you wanna play harsh grinding Tagtgren/"Sehnsucht" tones, and get a Rev Jr./Tiny Terror/used 5150, depending on your needs! (I'd rather have the first two than the 5150 sound-wise, but the 5150 of course has the power if you need it for large gigs)

Yeah, true that on the Pro! I just wasn't sure if it would be in his price range ($700 if I'm not mistaken)

I am aware that I need a poweramp for the PSA-1, I should have just made that clear hehe. I just made this post spur of the moment cuz I saw a PSA-1 on ebay for really cheap. I guess I'll pick up a TS and if that doesn't do the trick I shall sell the valveking and save for something else. Thanks for all the responses

I am aware that I need a poweramp for the PSA-1, I should have just made that clear hehe. I just made this post spur of the moment cuz I saw a PSA-1 on ebay for really cheap. I guess I'll pick up a TS and if that doesn't do the trick I shall sell the valveking and save for something else. Thanks for all the responses

yeah do that, a TS is cheap enough for you to give it a shot

ive heard valvekings bust out really 5150 sounding tones, stick with it.

Get the psa-1 too if you can, if it`s cheap, it´s a classic piece of gear, not too much people like it because, well, is not a tube preamp, but you can get amazing tones, clean and distorted out of it, also you can use it for bass, you can shape its sound in too many ways, it`s versatile as hell and can serve you really well for some special things.