Buying a computer

Winmar

Pillock of society
Apr 16, 2001
Canberra
I think I started a thread on this topic ages ago (probably 2003), but I still haven't got my own PC, so I'll try again:

I want to buy a computer, but don't have a huge budget. I mainly need it for the usual stuff like the net, photo scanning and editing, plus DVD burning. I'm not a big player of games, but I would like to play the odd one. I mainly play sports games (soccer, cricket, golf, gridiron etc).

So, what specs would I need for this? I often have quite a few things open at the same time, and it shits me when computers run slowly when I'm doing it. If I could get an idea of what I need it'd make looking through ads easier...

Also, I read a while back that that Prescott thingo kicks a bit of arse. Can someone remind me why?

If you're on a budget, it may be worth getting one built for you by a local computer store, rather than buy a pre-made one from Hardly Normal etc.

Go to Aldi... they have pretty powerful computers at incomprehensibly cheap prices. If you don't need it for creating 3D weather predictions, you can get something powerful enough for everything else for well under 2 grand. I bought one the other week, and it worked awesome until the video card fudged itself (which can happen to any computer).

The only problem is, their warranty company is shockingly bad. But if you don't mind cursing incompetent support staff every now and then, they're pretty good computers.

Yeah you'll be able to pick up one for well under a grand, I should think....
Check out, for example, www.arc.com.au
Go to computer systems, and then "basic series". There are good basic systems there for less than $700, though they're missing a big hard drive and a CD burner.

If you aren't willing to take risks, then Aldi is the place to go. It's a good machine, at a pretty good price.

If you are willing to take risks, then get a computer shop to build you one to the standard that you need. There's a risk that it will have compatibility issues between components, and be a (partial) lemon.

If you think you've got it in you, get $20 bucks of reading material, and learn how to build one yourself.

My last computer was option 2, and there were some compatibility issues that had it running like a dog for a year.

Bit the bullet, and learned what the issues were, and fixed it myself.

A mate recently went for option 3, and built an Aldi machine (sans credit card readers etc) and saved $500.