Buying New Guitar

Sanzen said:
NO NO NO NO. I wouldn't even wish a fucking Raven on Oinkness. Worst guitars I've ever played (next to Rogue).

Are you serious? The guitar is made of quality parts and plays excellent. I own a strat, an epiphone les paul, a jackson rr, and the raven is by far the best out of them. Everything on the guitar was in tip top shape. The action is perfect, it's low but not low enough to create buzzing. My only gripe would be the pickups but that goes without saying since they're stock.

My main electric is an Ibanez RG370. It was not very expensive (around $500, at a place that overprices everything), and it plays quite well. It's got the 24 frets and locking tremolo (two things that I used to dream about having), great action, reasonable sustain. Overall it's a solid instrument. One of these days I'll land myself a PRS or something more pricey and better than what I have now, but in the meantime, I'm very satisfied with my Ibanez.

Silent Song said:
why, they make excellent guitars. at least, until fender bought them out. :tickled:
mine predates that catastrophe

Oh, right, I forgot that when Fender buys out a company you're supposed to hate them. sorry guys, I meant that my Soloist sucks shit.

I haven't liked a single jackson I've tried. I hear the american made ones are excellent but something feels... funny about the korean ones I've played. And since American made Jackson doesn't come cheap I wouldn't recommend the imports(based soley on the one's I've tried).

Sanzen said:
Oh, right, I forgot that when Fender buys out a company you're supposed to hate them. sorry guys, I meant that my Soloist sucks shit.
that ain't what i meant.

when they bought jackson, they started changing subtle things about the design. and i for one am not a fan of the makeover (bastardization if you will). the upper end ones are still more or less amazing.

If you want a good, not too expensive guitar, I'd recommend LTD, the cheaper ESP editions, less quality but still good.

Ps: Dinky's are pure sex :loco:

I looked much Esp guitars but i couldnt fucking buy it(m-1000deluxe) and my gear sux right now..
So you can check ESP ltd m-200fm or save up more money and buy m-1000deluxe

I have a Rogue by Squier, and my dad has a custom 1980 les paul... that one guy said rogues suck, lol..... well thats why im getting a new guitar. I've played for atleast 8 years and I think its time for a step up. The rogue probably costed $100. It sounds great though since I've used it so long, got a good guitar pedal, and am using size 9 strings. Rawr! I stopped using the les paul though when it became an antique.

look...all these people are trying to give you the best advice they can given your parameters, but unfortunately id have to disagree with all of them.

typically every band and every musician which is at least semi proffesional doesnt use a guitar under the $1000 unless they absolutely have to. This is because they typically just arent made as well, or sound as good, and NEVER keep much of any sort of 2ndary value, which makes them fairly worthless for helping you upgrade to something better later on. All very mass produced starter or intermediate model instruments end up dirt cheap, beaten up and fairly worthless...i call them "pawn shop fodder".

I truly recommend you saving your money for a long period of time and buying something truly decent. Your sound will be better, and it will retain its 2ndary market value MUCH better in case you ever need to resell it or want to further upgrade.

If you want a "metal" guitar. Id recommend a pre-fender buyout jackson SL-2H, or a Caparison Dellinger Model. Both are similar to eachother, and both are made quite well for the price typically $1200-1700 used up to new. Id also recommend gibson or PRS, but may not be the best for metal and/or dont include the whammy bar you requested.

Overall though, a guitar under $1000 may sound "okay"...but the better you get and the more time that goes on, youll realize its really just a heap of firewood, and will get you nowhere when trying to upgrade later on. So be patient man...wait it out and save...get something you REALLY want.

Well I would play the les paul, it is a fabulous instrument.... but I was really hoping for a whammy bar and as far as I know, there are no les pauls with whammies.. I only have like literally $423 in the bank though for a guitar, I guess I will save up some more and check out some more expensive guitars....

I don't really care about the guitar LOOKING like a metal guitar, I just want one with a brilliant sound, and hopefully no static and such. A solid guitar you could say. There's a guitar center about an hour away from here but I don't know if they would carry PRS guitars and such.. I'll drive up there maybe tommorow and check into it.

I'll check for (and probably tryout some) PRS, ESP, gibson... jackson... well, I'll just try out a bunch of what you guys suggested and try to find out what's best for me I guess, I'll post back here later to publish my findings. Thanks yo :p

All this mention of prs and gibson...

Tom Anderson needs a nod I think :) mmm, such smooth wonderful goodness.

A nice Anderson is my dream guitar at the moment to be honest- over prs even. They look a little dull in comparison but the tone is just lovely. Basswood with a maple cap would be a cool combination.

NFU, you are wrong. You don't need a $1000+ guitar.

Oinkness said:
The rogue probably costed $100. It sounds great though since I've used it so long, got a good guitar pedal, and am using size 9 strings.

See dude? All you need are some 9s and a good guitar pedal. And play it for a while.

I don't know how to customize weapons though. I have never taken them apart, or even seen what pickups look like. To be honest, I'm not even sure what pickups are except that they change the sound of the guitar.. The most I have done up to this point is experiment with different string and pick sizes. :p

You'll find that almost every model of guitar, by every manufacturer has suck-ass pickups provided you're getting a model in their lower-end ranges. When you purchase a guitar in that price range, it's a given that you'll need to consider replacing the PUs if you're wanting a tighter sound.

In a few months I'll be selling my Jackson PS4 (which has served me wonderfully for the last 1-2 years) and buying a US Select Series DK1. The only guitar I can recommend above a Jackson is a PRS Custom 24 - which is probably the best guitar I've ever had the pleasure of playing. Expect to fork out big bucks for those, however. It's not a type of guitar I'd go 2nd hand on.