Calculate + graph your tuning vs string gauges with this website

LeSedna

Mat or Mateo
Jan 20, 2008
Montpellier, France
Hello

I discovered this website, and it's pretty much what I have been trying to find for a few days now. It is also based on the d'addario database they release some years ago.

http://vinic.free.fr/strings/

Example, this is a 26.5 in guitar in 9/42 standard tuning.

Do you find anything interesting ? I realized how "extra light" and "light" I like my strings to be, but it sounds awful in the end so I am these days going forward a more "normal" feel by trying new sets of strings.

Interesting, thanks.
I entered the details of the D'Addario 13-56 set I use for drop B and the graph shows clearly why my low B is wonky and subject to more fret noise than E/A strings.
Also worth noting the tension is around 15-20lbs which is much less than the indication on the back of the string pack, I guess that is a maximum. I know some people worry about standard Evertune only handling 10-28lbs so this is great for string choice.

I have always loved playing very very flubby because I used to tune down with regular strings, then completely tune down to D with higher strings, and kept using those strings for C. Problem is, I like the easiness of playing with them, but it's just too dawn low. The high strings are labelled at "extra light" with 10lbs of tension, I think i'm gonna go back to 15lb.

My sweet spot is when I can do more than a 1 tone bend (say a comfortable 3 semitones bend with vibrato) without feeling like I can't play anymore after a couple tracks.

In my case, with 25.5in experimenting in B, It gives me for 20lbs in lows and 15 lbs in high strings :

13-17-22-36-49-66

so I might give a go to the clear tone 12-60 and 13-70 just to see if it is any good on a regular 25.5 guitar.

Such a handy page, thanks for sharing! Yeah, I'm in a extra-light camp, too. And each time I go to medium, it just stops feeling articulate to me.

The biggest discovery though was that I acted too shy while choosing additional thick strings for drop-tuning. Like in 11-56 for drop-B, I went with .60 instead of .56. I should have gone with .64 at least.

Yeah same here. I realized that any drop of the lower string (mainly CGCFAD or open C) does need a pretty bigger string.

This webpage is awesome because it quickly displays the thing.

On this one : http://hikkyz.net/misc/stringassembler/ on the right side you can do the opposite a little bit faster. You can do it with the link I provided before but it gives you the answer immediately. Say you want your B to be 20lb on a 25.5 and nickel wound (obviously) gives me a .66

this page could be handy, thanks for the link!
I compared some of the scale lengths, tunings and string gauges I use, and it represents the feel in differences pretty well.

For convenience sake I use packs that aren't ideal for all the strings, but I was too lazy to experiment and then buy custom string sets in bulk. This page makes this a lot easier.
Also displays why it was hard for me to get a similar feel with different scale lengths, some jumps on some strings would seem minor but have a huge effect on the tension. really interesting.

Although playing around its funny, for me the difference between medium 20ish and light 15ish isn't nearly as drastic than xlight 10ish and light 15ish, at least feel wise....but only on the low strings, on the high strings it fits. I guess that is due to me sucking at playing leads :lol:

But it explains why I always bitched about that I had to mix the 3 high and 3 low strings of 2 specific sets to get a good feel. Displays it really well.

I seem to be most comfy with all strings in the middle of light. so around 16-17ish I'id say.

Cool resource to have!
I've been moving towards heavier strings over the last year or so. These days I'm using 10-52 in standard, 11-56 in Eb, and 12-60 in D, on both 25" and 25.5" scales. I find myself preferring thicker necks too, and I think both factors have had a really positive impact on the tones I'm getting now.

52 in standard ? Damn that must be tight :)

I had this client recently playing with the strings that came stock with his cheapo Dinky (must have been 09-46) and the thing was awful to play. Plus the guy has huge hands and couldn't even press the first frets on the 6th string without bending the notes.
I told him to change to 10-52 (still in E standard of course) and the improvement was ridiculously good. The guitar still didn't even feel stiff anywhere.

If I'm not mistaken the guitar is a 24.75''

After comparison, it's close to the 13-70 i ordered for B standard in terms of tension. I think at this low tunings you can't get away with recording with a Baritone but as of now I don't have one !

Thinking about going up to .64 or .66 for my drop B guitar, even .60 seems a bit spaghetti-like.

I once tuned my 24.75" guitar with a 13-65 set to drop d. I felt bad for my guitar. That shit was so tight. Normally I play in drop B with those strings so.. And a 11-60 set suits me just as fine if not better for that purpose these days. :D