Calgary Show

bigstudster

New Metal Member
Jan 22, 2004
Calgary, AB
I've gained a huge amount of respect for the band tonight. Despite the loss of (the inimitable) Martin Lopez, the band still whipped off some terrific renditions of some damnation songs. Big thanks to Moonspell for doing a much longer set to make up for the short Opeth set. You could feel the band's regret for not delivering a longer (and heavier) set but they made up for it by doing album and poster signings and all the consideration they gave the fans. And we're all looking forward to the next show, which Mikael promised would be much heavier. We're all hoping Martin gets better soon. Overall, it was still a great show, and Opeth has joined the ranks of Dream Theater and Sepultura as one of the great fan-based bands of our time. Thanks guys.

Reactions: Squeak
bigstudster said:
I've gained a huge amount of respect for the band tonight. Despite the loss of (the inimitable) Martin Lopez, the band still whipped off some terrific renditions of some damnation songs. Big thanks to Moonspell for doing a much longer set to make up for the short Opeth set. You could feel the band's regret for not delivering a longer (and heavier) set but they made up for it by doing album and poster signings and all the consideration they gave the fans. And we're all looking forward to the next show, which Mikael promised would be much heavier. We're all hoping Martin gets better soon. Overall, it was still a great show, and Opeth has joined the ranks of Dream Theater and Sepultura as one of the great fan-based bands of our time. Thanks guys.

Hey..I was at the show, too..and I must say that I've also gained a lot of respect for them...on top of the large amount I already had..it was a really cool experience just being able to talk to them, espescially in person..and Mikael commented on my hair (i have an afro..though it's growing into more of a mullet now), saying that it was nice and asking me if I was into the mars volta (since they have afros of course) ..so yah..that gave me a laugh and made the experience a lot more personal...I must say...I love Mikael's voice..and it was AMAZING live...I wonder if he heard me yell out that he was my father during the set? haha...OH! Their cover of soldier of fortune by deep purple was pretty cool, too..THANX A LOT OPETH...AND THANX TO THE DRUM TECH, TOO, FOR TAKING OVER DRUMS AT THE SHOW...YOU DID A GREAT JOB DUDE! I hope you get well soon Martin L. Good luck Opeth! (not that you need it...you guys are amazing)

Well...anyways..I should get to bed..I have school tommorow o_O

Opeth: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: ME at Opeth's feet: :worship:

Dream theater rules as well..good call.

Squeak said:
Like I said in Testamentt's thread... I thank you guys for posting this and for being TRUE fans by wanting to be there to support them, regardless of what's played and how long the set is. ESPECIALLY the drum tech. :headbang:

Anytime dude...I love Opeth's music.

i was there as well, it was an awesome show regardless of the small opeth set. just watching them play together was great, and how Peter kept looking back and smiling at the drum tech, he pulled it off well, he had some big shoes to fill lastnight and he did his best!

i was the first to yell we still love you while Mikeal was apologizing and he looked at me haha that was sweet

Yeah they did a short set because they only had that much material that they could play, but i was very impressed by the pefrormance of the tech guy! Those were very big shoes to fill and he did a fucking awesome job!

Poor Mikael was so apologetic about the absence of Martin and the length of the set and that they had no heavy numbers but I could tell he felt a little better by the MASSIVE amount of applause, screaming, chanting, and praise we gave them.
I beleive they started out with "In My Time of Need" followed by (I can't remember which order) "Hope Leaves", "Ending Credits", "Soldier of Fortune" (Deep Purple Cover), "Ending Credits"...and I think "To Rid the Disease".

Thank you so much OPETH!!! You kicked ass! Even though the set was short, it was BEAUTIFUL! And i know you'll be back in Calgary someday :D

@ IntoObscurity - yes. It really depends what can get done today on their day off. I', guessing the drum tech (being that he's good and a fast learner) will learn 2-3 songs and maybe Mike from Moonspell, who is a good drummer as well, may learn 1 or 2 and try to help out. This is my edumacated guess. I also early on thought they might grab Van from Nevermore and see if he can tour since he knows some of their music and is capable of playing stuff like that somewhat and they've already toured together before. Don't know that that will happen though. But I still think they will have a 1/2 loud, 1/2 acoustic show.

Oh yeah...and for those of you who were wondering about the Moonspell setlist:
(This isn't exact, just what i remember)

In and Aboce Men
From Lowering Skies
Alma Mater
Vampiria
Opium
Devil Red
Everything Invaded

Moonspell put on a very good show by the way!
Devildriver...not as bad as I thoght they would be...don't get me wrong, they were still bad...just not terrible...i guess...meh...

In two months time, I'm gonna see Moonspell live at "Metalmania" festival in Poland:D yeaaah, I can't wait!!!!!!!:D
I hope they are as good as you say...!

Incendiare said:
Ah, at least Calgary has it together. I dont know what's wrong with the Edmontonians.

It's funny..cuz I'm not from Calgary..I live in Rocky Mountain House..and..haha..I was born in Edmonton

Reactions: Incendiare