Camel

David Hasselhoff

New Metal Member
Apr 14, 2004
In the DVD Mikael comments that "it's totally ripped off from a band called Camel" (referring to Ending Credits). Anyone know what Camel song he borrowed it from? Also any other comments on Camel's influence on Mikael.

Camel has a huge influence on Mike's lead playing, he has this smooth way of bending notes just like Mr. Latimer. It's not completely ripped off, but it sounds a lot like one of the parts in one of my favorite Camel songs, it's called Nimrodel/The White Rider/(something, I forget) and it's from the album Mirage. The biggest rip off of Camel that Mike has pulled has been the Benighted intro.

I wouldnt call it a rip off, because i dont think it was "ripped off" by intent. it just happens if you write and listen to music at the same time. I also came up with a few acoustic songs i liked very much, but soon found out that one of the melodies i used originates from another song.

Yes, i wasnt aware the ending credits song was "ripped off" of camel, just simply Mikael's ode to them by having a similar sounding song (leadwise), if you ask me the rythm and notation of the song isnt much like a camel song at all. However, benighted's intro has been established as intentionally ripped off by Mikael...and yes, if you listen to "never let go" and benighted's intro, there isnt any debate on this. As for Mikael's inspiration from Camel...its one of his favorite lesser known progressive rock bands, to my knowledge he likes mainly the first 4 albums, which id have to agree...past that i start to dislike the bands direction. However, many progressive and psych bands from the 60s and 70s have influenced mikael's playing and writing if you ask me, i hear things all over his records that remind me of the lesser known and more of the popular bands of that era he loves. If you are more interested in this genre of music, i recommend finding the book "the progressive rock files"...it has a pretty good display of bands, the history, the changes and everything else of that genre and time period....its a good way to get your feet wet in what is my favorite genre of music. i highly recommend it.

Can anyone pick up on any 80's/Very early 90's Death Metal bands influences in Opeths music?

The other day i was over at my friends house listening to Morbid Angel - Altars Of Madness & in Track 1 ''Immortal Rites'' & a lot of the other tracks aswell, i noticed a distinct evil, dark sound in the guitar riffs that i've noticed in Orchid, Morning Rise & pretty much all throughout Opeth's career. Mikael said in the Lamentations DVD & various other interviews that Altars Of Madness absoloutely blew him away when it came out, so it's good to see some influences by these bands.

Can anyone pick up on anymore?

I just skipped all the posts here so regardless if anyone's mentioned it..."Ending Credits" reminds me alot of "The Snowgoose" by Camel. I haven't been a Camel fan for long, but when I first heard "The Snowgoose," "Ending Credits" came to mind immediately.

Land Of Grey And Pink said:
Well, for the obvious aproach...if you havent heard any morbid angel influence...then you havent listened to 90% of the deliverance material. :ill:

Exactly. When I first heard that record, all I could think of was Morbid Angel When I heard the outro riffs to "A Fair Judgement" and the opener to "Master's Apprentices," I was just like "nice, this band obviously has been listening to alot of Morbid Angel lately." My friend said the same thing when I showed him the record.

Altars of Madness may have blew Akerfeldt away, but it's not like he would only use that album for morbid angel influence. Alot of the Covenant and Domination records, notably the slower more melodic riffs in "God of Emptiness" influence Opeth.

By the way...the Morbid Angel/suffocation/satyricon show was just incredible in LA last night. I was overwelmed by the solid playing of all the bands and the gigantic pits in the audience. Great setlists as well. One of the best shows I've seen in a long time.

Iiiaaa!! iak sakkakh Iiiaa!! sakkakth
Iiia shaxul!