Camel?

harvest_moon

The Progmaster General
Nov 15, 2004
In the DVD, Mike says of 'Ending Credits':

'We totally nicked this off a band called Camel'

Well I have since built up a small collection of the aforementioned band, including the first four albums which i believed where their defining works. Although it is easy to spot the influence of Camel in the whole of Damnation, I cannot find for the life of me any song which 'Ending Credits' is totally ripped off, and id love to know what it is if it exists.

All I know is that 'Benighted' rips off Camels 'Never Let go'

I dont think there's a song. I think Mikael just meant that 'Ending Credits' kinda sounds like a Camel song with its smooth, warm guitar tone.
hmm maybe Ninefeetunderground has the answer...

to be honest, i dont feel its a straight rip off of any camel song.

however, the closest thing i can find in similarity is :40 seconds into the song "the snowgoose" from the snowgoose album with the guitar lead.

semi similar in style i suppose...and even if that song isnt the right one, it is apparent that mikael has adapted a bit of latimer's emotive feel, vibrato and "perfect note choice" which i feel both of them do.

i dont feel damnation has much camel influence all over the place really though, i think it shares more in common with psychadelic albums of the period than melodic/symphonic progressive rock of the time. due to the instrumentation, offbeat melodies sometimes, and the overall spacey aproach to some of the songs. However, opeth acomplished their own spin on progressive and psychadelia using their trademark opeth sound and unique personal aproach...rather than just making a throwback to the 70s record that sounds cliched....so i admire that a lot.