Any Camel fans here?

LordHypnos said:
ah yes...camel....the Opeth fanboys introduction to the world of underground 70s progressive rock.

::shakes head in disgust::
Say what you will.

I had never even heard of Camel until Opeth mentioned it. And because they did, I had a chance to discover a great band that I never would have discovered otherwise. You have to discover new bands somehow.

And Camel aren't my introduction to '70's Prog Rock. I've enjoyed Pink Floyd, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, years before I discovered Opeth.

Somebody said somewhere that opeth are a kind of milestone; like an opening gate to many bands people haven't heard of them before and are giving them a try. Camel is one of them, and it's a matter of fact that some people are listening to them because of Opeth. mind you, this is not bad at all, and one has to search for good music somehow, like somebody else said. In this light, I wouldn't say all the people here have come into 70's prog rock via Camel via Opeth; but some have...

LordHypnos said:
ah yes...camel....the Opeth fanboys introduction to the world of underground 70s progressive rock.

yeah, I guess you are one of the last true underground prog connoisseurs.
I think it's good when more people get to listen to Camel, because it's good music (it's not underground, sure...but that does really matter to you, doesn't it?).

you people who call everyone fan boys and shit are full of your own opinions its sickening. how the fuck did you hear of camel? are you like 50 years old and you heard their song on the radio when it first came out so you were there in "the beginning." it just gets sad to see some of you people try to take something away from someone else learning about a band because they aren't as diverse as you think you are. just because you have some obscure suffocation EP or you were one of the founding members of the black metal movement (which none of you are, so dont latch onto a genre like you have anything to do with it), doesn't make you more of a fan of music or of a band. I love opeth, and i love learning new things about them. sometimes i learn things in this forum, but it gets annoying reading the fucking pissing contests that some of you people have. I could care less if you think you know more about music, or if mightyA thinks something is gay, granted thats his opinion, but there is no fucking need for some of the people in this forum to claim supremacy over music. "latimer is NOT an incredibly skilled guitarist. go listen to steve vai"... man, who are you to say that? steve vai is sick nasty, but his style is different from latimer, not his skill. I'm sure vai could do sweeps at mach 5, but that doesnt mean shit to Latimer, he is a different kind of guitarist, and for the style that he plays in, he is one of the best. So, yes, there are stupid people that start 3 separate threads about melinda's name, but calling people fanboys and shit because they are learning about new music is horseshit. i know its not gonna stop, but thats just my opinion. i'd rather have it not stop cuz it just shows how presumptuous and pretentious some of you can be.

NP-Camel-Harbour of Tears

Fucking amazing album, I dont know why people dont mention this album at all??? I love it, it's like a mix of 80's pop and progressive Camel.

LordHypnos said:

I'd like to state at first that I don't think I'm an Opeth fanboy, I was, but I hardly listen to them anymore. When I do listen, I appreciate the brilliance, but I am not above criticizing what I percieve to be their flaws.

On to you, my dear Hypnos, clearly better than all of us because you joined this forum earlier and have undoubtedly been into metal so much longer than us. Tell me, how do you suppose young people these days SHOULD be introduced to 70s prog? Should they be born with knowledge of this era of music ? Will all their parents be "fortunate" enough to be fans of these bands and make sure their children are exposed to them? This isn't the case, Hypnos. That isn't to say that Camel will be the first 70s prog band Opeth fans are introduced to. I myself heard Rush, Yes, ELP, Floyd and some others well before I became aware of Camel or even Opeth. Only a pigheaded holier-than-thou metal elitist scumbag could twist Opeth introducing fans to a previous era of wonderful music which they may never have come into contact with otherwise into a negative thing. Do you even care to think before posting on these forums of the images you're creating for the UM boards or for metal fans in general? To me, you embody the misconceptions about metal fans that find their roots in imbeciles like you and are generalized, resulting in misrepresentation for all of us.

But whatever, this is just my half-assed attempt at something I know will never happen: making you come to your senses and try to contribute to this community instead of detracting from some otherwise interesting posts. I know this: every post I've seen from you recently has been so bitter and negative that I wonder what motivates you to act like this. It's sad, but nobody's perfect.

On to the subject of the post...
I downloaded a couple of Camel albums, they weren't really my thing, I didn't give them much of a chance and I intend to try them again some day. However, I have gotten into several other bands (now among my favourites) because of Mikael and Opeth (namely Katatonia, Edge of Sanity, etc).

i dont beleive im better than anyone here because i got into metal before them...i probably got into metal after many people here were already into it (i got into underground metal around 1996...opeth not too long after that). But i was into prog since i was about 9, due to my mother. im sick of opeth children going nutty over camel, a band that wouldnt mean anything to them if mikael hadnt mentioned them 100000 times.

LordHypnos said:
But i was into prog since i was about 9, due to my mother.
:worship:
LordHypnos said:
im sick of opeth children going nutty over camel, a band that wouldnt mean anything to them if mikael hadnt mentioned them 100000 times.
how do you know that this is the reason? by the way, nobody's going nutty over it

I guess it's not a possibility that anyone might have heard Camel before they heard Opeth, I mean considering Camel is a brand spankin new band. And who really cares anyway, good music is good music.

Why does it matter when or how you got into Camel? I'm almost 40 and was listening to Camel long before Opeth existed, but I think it's cool that Akerfeldt has turned new fans onto Camel by mentioning them as an influence. Some of the best musical discoveries that otherwise wouldn't have been made happen this way. It's all good.

LordHypnos said:
im sick of opeth children going nutty over camel, a band that wouldnt mean anything to them if mikael hadnt mentioned them 100000 times.

how do you propose, almighty Hypnos, that people DO get into new bands?
most of the people who listen to Camel because of Mikael will only give them a fair chance, not worship them simply because Mikael does. this is expanding Camel's fanbase and diversifying the musical taste of Opeth fans. how is this a bad thing?