Any Camel fans here?

Tyrman

The CNP is Evil...
Apr 7, 2004
Lowell,MA USA
I know some of the Opeth world don't listen to prog, but I was just wondering if any liked Camel. Mikael has stated Camel as an influence, but maybe more to their mellower stuff. I can hear Andy Latimer (Camel) in Mikael's solos. The Damnation stuff has some Camel-ish moments especially Ending Credits.

I started listening to them shortly after Opeth when I found out they were an influence. Good stuff, but ya gotta be in the mood.

I'm not really into any kind of mellow/ prog bands but Camel are good. It's always interesting to listen to bands that influence other bands & try to pick out some similarities in the music & like someone has mentioned i agree that Mike's solo's are very much influenced by Andy Latimer, especially with Damnation.

I love Mirage, and Ending Credits sounds just like Ending Credits(other way around).....it's an awesome song, but I like Camel's version better hehe. I think Mike's singing sounds a lot like Latimer a lot sometimes as well. My favorite camel song is Air Born, it's one of my favorite songs of all time.

When opeth played in melbourne i took a "CAMEL sign and my mate took a RULES sign , Mikael liked it but he said he wanted an "OPETH RULES" one, so i guess next time :p

Demonspell said:
Camel's first four albums are excellent, and you can clearly hear the influence upon Mikael's playing...Andy Latimer is an incredibly skilled guitarist.

I think you guys are kind of praising him too much, he is a good guitarist, who writes some pretty innovative stuff, but he is NOT an incredibly skilled guitarist. Go listen to Steve Morse, Steve Vai, or other guitar gurus, and then tell me Latimer is incredibly skilled. He was good for his time, and he's got a great style, but you're giving him too much credit.

Another big Camel fan here. What makes Latimer great is not just his technical skill, but the way in which he plays the notes he writes and where he places them. I can hear Latimer's influence on Akerfeldt and that influence is one of the things I love about Opeth.

FWIW, Latimer shines on Camel's latest record from 2002. The vocals I could do without for the most part, but the guitar parts are wonderful and if you're a fan of early camel, Mirage - Moonmadness, you should give A Nod and a Wink a spin.

I love Camel, especially the first four albums! Together with Close to the edge by yes and King Crimsons ITCOTCK the highlight of the proghistory.

Yes Mikael sure is influenced by andy in his soloplaying, especially the bends. Andy latimers feeling for bended notes is definetly one of the best there is IMO.

LordHypnos said:
ah yes...camel....the Opeth fanboys introduction to the world of underground 70s progressive rock.

::shakes head in disgust::

Sad but true, if not for Opeth, Camel would probably have much less fans.....hehe..........if Mikael said that Britney Spears' first two allbums influenced their music, threads like "Who Likes Britney??" would be popping up, but that's just fanboyism. I got into Camel the same way........so dont flame....fanboys!!!!

Oh how disgusting.. :err:

When a band I like mentions an artist and says that they drew many influences from this particular artist, I mostly check it out. Not because they like it, but because it could just be good music. What has that to do with fanboyism? Is the search for good music something negative? I guess not.

But to relate to the topic.. My father had a bunch of Camel records in his vinyl collection, and every now and then i check some of his records out. So one day, a camel record got on the phonograph. I like their stuff, especially Moonmadness(flute-ownage) and Mirage.