Sorskogen

Dan is my favorite musician overall and it's great that he replies to all of his fan mail. None of my other friends can say they regularly speak to their favorite musician. The fact that he has time to do that is amazing, he must enjoy it. As far as the sorskogen, I just got it from Audiogalaxy and have only listened once so far, of course it's good but I wont know how good until a couple more listens. I'd love to see any proggy album from Dan and if Mike is on it too.....super!

Yeah.. Dan and Dag are really both the greatest guys ever. They take the time to talk to us "little people" and make so much good music... Anything that either are involved in musically is always great.. Even everything Dan produces is great, though sometimes the production is the only good thing about the album.

Yeah, I'll never forget the first time I e-mailed Dan back in September of 2000: I was just hanging around my campus one day, killing time between classes and I decided I'd drop him a line just to see if he'd reply. I wrote him up a nice little message telling how great I thought he was, and asked him what he was going to do next, etc. I wasn't really expecting him to reply, but lo and behold, he replied only a couple hours later that same day!! I couldn't believe it. I've been communicating with him regularly ever since, and he replies to EVERY SINGLE e-mail I send, whether it's asking him about his musical projects, or just asking him stupid stuff, like whether or not they get "The Simpsons" in Sweden! What a great guy. I too consider myself very lucky that I am able to communicate regularly with my favorite musician and personal idol on a regular basis: not many other folks I know can say that themselves...

Hello guys.
Thought I'd join in here. I had to :lol: when you said you two were the only 2 interested in Sorskogen moving forward. It would be a dream come true if Mikael pursues this, or has time as you mentioned. I was wondering the same thing if the "mellow opeth" cd wouldn't incorporate some of the Sorskogen sound. I sorta hope so cause I think it's..amazing! I've heard 2 of the tracks but I'll probably never hear the 3rd one which I really regret as the others are so beautiful. I agree Mikaels voice is really fantastic...and I enjoy the swedish lyrics. I think the guitar playing on Mordet is phenominal.. some of his best ever! :D

Just downloaded the Sorskogen-song myself, and can`t really see why all of you are so high on it. It`s nothing but ordinary in my ears. The part of the lyrics I can understand is not that good either.

I would rather see Dan devote all his hours to the Nightingale-project, which I think is his best besides Odyssey.

Good thing that there is different views on things though..

Ta ta!

Well if you've just downloaded and probably only listened a couple times (or once?) it's not exactly a full view of the song. You should give it a couple more listens and maybe you'll hear the emotions and songmanship more. It's beautiful I say.. maybe not in the same "beauty" of Benighted where it's like an immediate touch of heaven tickling down your back... but in the end I like Mordet more than Benighted. Strange?... maybe.
But then again, maybe Sorskogen just isnt' your thing, Nightfall. Maybe it wasn't what you were expected too. Its much more "rock" than "metal". I mean even the acoustic mellow Opeth still have a metal vibe in there, but the Sorskogen is really different.

Also I think it would be more of Mikael devoting the time, rather than Dan. But it seems like time is scarse for them all!

I will must certain give it another go some time. Have listened to it for some days now, and I still say it`s ordinary in my ears. Ordinary compared to the other Dan-stuff that is, which means that it still can be a great song.

Doesn`t give me the wibes nightingale gives me though

It's prog rock for sure! I disagree with you, Nightfall Overture, when you say it's nothing out of the ordinary.. Have you heard Dan's drumming on it? He sounds like Neil Peart.. It's amazing.

I agree with Nightfall. This is a good song, but it isn't THAT great. Nothing I jizzed over. I disagree with the idea that Dan should devote all or even most of this time to Nightingale even tho Nightingale is my favorite one of Dan's Projects. If Dan ever focused on only one of his many styles I would be very pissed off. I love all the crazily different cd's he's made.

Wow. People are still talking about Sorskogen. I thought people forgot about this gem of a band!

I personally think that Mordet is very close to being the best thing that Mikael has done and it definitely features this best clean vocals ever (plus production!)

I don't think we'll ever see hear any of the other tracks. Hell, I've been trying to convince Mikael (through email and at the Milwaukee Metalfest) that I'd even front up all the money needed to release it on say a 7" ever since the sample was first put on the web.

As per usual, by hearing TWO Sorskogen tracks, Anngi has kept her position as the biggest Opeth fanatic :)

Later,

Hi Nebs! nice to see you here.
infinity.gif

Well it was pretty long ago that I heard the other one, but I still feel honored about it.
icon_smile_blush.gif
It was quite good too, like Mordet. Maybe one day he'll release em, or write some more and make a ep/cd. Or.. even cooler would be to have a vinyl-only release, 500 copies max. heheh..
as-drool.gif

Originally posted by Doucheman
Yeah, I'll never forget the first time I e-mailed Dan back in September of 2000: I was just hanging around my campus one day, killing time between classes and I decided I'd drop him a line just to see if he'd reply. I wrote him up a nice little message telling how great I thought he was, and asked him what he was going to do next, etc. I wasn't really expecting him to reply, but lo and behold, he replied only a couple hours later that same day!! I couldn't believe it. I've been communicating with him regularly ever since, and he replies to EVERY SINGLE e-mail I send, whether it's asking him about his musical projects, or just asking him stupid stuff, like whether or not they get "The Simpsons" in Sweden! What a great guy. I too consider myself very lucky that I am able to communicate regularly with my favorite musician and personal idol on a regular basis: not many other folks I know can say that themselves...

Lately I've been fortunate enough to be in contact with Mikael Stanne of Dark Tranquillity on an irregular basis. Its really cool to talk to him about music and movies for instance. He is a movie freak!