Can bass player do this.......???

NicholasDWolfwood said:
Everybody is tearing the shit out of Sheehan, and I'm kinda wondering why. One of the greatest bass players in the last 20 years. If many professional musicians praise him, why is he so "bad"? Or am I just misinterpreting the comments?
he's bad-ass, imo. Him, Wooten, Pastorius, Hamm, and some others.

Why is he soloing like he's playing a guitar?

One thing I never understood is bass players that don't play the instrument to fit its own niche. All I see from that video is someone who wishes they were a guitarist. Boring.

Moonlapse said:
Why is he soloing like he's playing a guitar?

One thing I never understood is bass players that don't play the instrument to fit its own niche. All I see from that video is someone who wishes they were a guitarist. Boring.
if you've seen him in the bands he played in, you'd see (hear) that he is in fact very, very good.

It is impressive infact that he put a very big part of his life training to become the fastest... not the training itself meaning, but that he wastes so much time to become fast. It is pretty easy to become the fastest, anyone could do it with enough training, its like anyone can become the greatest hockeyplayer with enough training... but anyone cannot become the greatest musician.

Moonlapse said:
He may well be good, but that doesn't change the fact that he solos like a wannabe guitarist. There's nothing even remotely interesting about that video, to me.
the problem, in my opinion, is that you're basing your opinion on that video. i guess that's only fair if you haven't heard his other stuff.

Billy is a frustrated guitarist.....poor guy hasnt realised it yet but he needs a guitar so he can shut the fuck up on bass and people can realise he just sucks.

Yes alright, it IS different for bass and hasnt been done really but no one has eaten and then regurgitated a bass on stage ......now THAT i would pay to see live.

Nuk3m said:
Billy is a frustrated guitarist.....poor guy hasnt realised it yet but he needs a guitar so he can shut the fuck up on bass and people can realise he just sucks.

Yes alright, it IS different for bass and hasnt been done really but no one has eaten and then regurgitated a bass on stage ......now THAT i would pay to see live.
You're very, very mistaken. Really. I don't really like Sheehan because he's always seemed pretentious to me, but Sheehan is amazing. Just because he taps and solos high up on the bass neck doesn't mean he's a "frustrated guitarist." In fact, his latest solo album is great.

Moonlapse said:
He may well be good, but that doesn't change the fact that he solos like a wannabe guitarist. There's nothing even remotely interesting about that video, to me.
What defines a "wannabe guitarist"? Tapping, playing fast and playing in the high range of the neck? Please define what a "wannabe guitarist" is, because if you'd listen to anything Sheehan has done, you'd realize that he's not a wannabe guitarist by any means.

HaloPhenomenon said:
It is impressive infact that he put a very big part of his life training to become the fastest... not the training itself meaning, but that he wastes so much time to become fast. It is pretty easy to become the fastest, anyone could do it with enough training, its like anyone can become the greatest hockeyplayer with enough training... but anyone cannot become the greatest musician.
Sheehan isn't even fast. I doubt he put a big part of his life into being that fast, too, since, well, he's played in quite a few bands over the years. His latest solo album isn't that fast either.

It isnt about tapping and fretboard position that makes him be a wanna be guitarist, his style is like a guitarist not of a bassist.

Go listen to some Pastorious, Miller, or Wooten. They are bass virtuosos and they play up high on the fretboard they sound like bassists.

Shit i really hate to say it but john myung does a beter job of soling like a bassist then billy, not a good job but he still has it over him.

No, it's not fast. A lot of death metal is faster? Maybe for a cock rock band (which is what Mr. Big were iirc) it's fast, but for any type of metal it's not really fast

okay... for me it is fast, i dont consider my self as a cock rock artist. and when it comes up to speeds like those you really cant part fast from fast... i mean sure, i probably can play a couple of those things with the guitar, but it is alot more difficult with the bass...and he uses his fingers.