Can bass player do this.......???

Steve DiGiorgio and Sean Malone use their fingers. Becoming decently fast with your fingers takes some practice, but it's not the hardest thing in the world

lmfao @ Blly's bass lesson

"What's the worst that can happen? Steve throws his guitar at me."

NicholasDWolfwood said:
I have listened to Miller, Pastorius and Wooten. I'm still trying to figure out why his style of playing is like a guitarist?

Bass players commonly incorporate a strong rhythmic element in their playing. It's what differentiates their instrument from the standard guitar (minus the two strings, and two octave difference).

His thing is that all the runs in his solo are quite straight forward and sound like something some of the most mundane, meathead shred guitarists would do. Let's pretend that the actual tone he's pulling on it isn't trying to sound like an electric guitar, hell let's even pretend that he's not trying to do harmonic flutters (someone got a whammy bar for the man?). He's essentially just tremelo picking through some basic scale runs in a very linear fashion like any shred guitarist may do.

I don't see, from his playing on that video, any differentiation between the instrument he is playing and the standard guitar. If what he played there was done on a guitar instead of a bass I doubt that anybody would bat an eyelid. The number of technical things I've seen that are leaps and bounds more impressive are too numerous.

I'm not criticizing his music, or his playing in general (if it deviates at all from the video), but from what we've been shown in this thread, I'm not impressed in the least bit, and am adamantly convinced that it's just a guitarist-wannabe solo.

Moonlapse said:
Bass players commonly incorporate a strong rhythmic element in their playing. It's what differentiates their instrument from the standard guitar (minus the two strings, and two octave difference).

His thing is that all the runs in his solo are quite straight forward and sound like something some of the most mundane, meathead shred guitarists would do. Let's pretend that the actual tone he's pulling on it isn't trying to sound like an electric guitar, hell let's even pretend that he's not trying to do harmonic flutters (someone got a whammy bar for the man?). He's essentially just tremelo picking through some basic scale runs in a very linear fashion like any shred guitarist may do.

I don't see, from his playing on that video, any differentiation between the instrument he is playing and the standard guitar. If what he played there was done on a guitar instead of a bass I doubt that anybody would bat an eyelid. The number of technical things I've seen that are leaps and bounds more impressive are too numerous.

I'm not criticizing his music, or his playing in general (if it deviates at all from the video), but from what we've been shown in this thread, I'm not impressed in the least bit, and am adamantly convinced that it's just a guitarist-wannabe solo.

Damn right.

Moonlapse said:
Let's pretend that the actual tone he's pulling on it isn't trying to sound like an electric guitar

If there's anything remotely bad about that video, it was the hideous tone on the bass. Yargh, it was nauseating.

I can forgive him for the spandex, but the pink thing around his neck? :ill:

Riryoku said:
If there's anything remotely bad about that video, it was the hideous tone on the bass. Yargh, it was nauseating.

Yeh i dont get it with some bassists tone.

THEY ARE BASSISTS SO WHERE THE FUCK DID THE BASS GO?

Im personaly not satisfied with my tone until i get the low to low mid rumble going. And i usually just EQ the shit so the high-highs stand out so it sounds like i have new strings and then i EQ the normal Highs out, mainly the area of the guitar. Thats their terrortory if i wanted it id get a guitar or id play really distatfully like this guy billy does.

If you want to hear a good bass solo then DL Incognito - Magnetic Ocean, its my favorite solo and has been for a few years.

A funky fusion jazz track.

HaloPhenomenon said:
It is impressive infact that he put a very big part of his life training to become the fastest... not the training itself meaning, but that he wastes so much time to become fast. It is pretty easy to become the fastest, anyone could do it with enough training, its like anyone can become the greatest hockeyplayer with enough training... but anyone cannot become the greatest musician.

I agree with this, and not just for bass. Being fast doesn't count for shit to me unless you have the creative talent to go with it. And some don't. Take Steve Vai as an example...

HaloPhenomenon said:
cock rock .
:lol: maybe they ARE comparable after all!

i'm :yuk: at a couple comments here. Steve Vai uncreative? are you deaf? his playing borders on what some consider music, but you can't deny that he's out there experimenting with what can be done with a guitar.

again, remember that you naysayers (for the majority) are judging him based on this one video, and not his works with bands. i'm saying, having heard his solo albums and previous stuff, that he is in my opinion quite good, but of course no Pastorius.

Kenneth R. said:
Steve Vai uncreative? are you deaf? his playing borders on what some consider music, but you can't deny that he's out there experimenting with what can be done with a guitar.
No, I'm not deaf. And I didn't say he doesn't try to experiment. Sorry, maybe I didn't communicate my thoughts properly, so I'll try again: Vai can't write songs or decent music for shit. And, actually, I think his playing is very... conservative.

Moonlapse said:

So you're saying that Les Claypool isn't a bassist because he has a whammy bar on some of his basses? You're saying that a lot of death metal bassists are electric guitar players because they tremelo pick?

His tone is overdriven. He likes his tone to be overdriven, that doesn't mean he's a wannabe guitar player at all. Mendez has overdriven/chorused bass in The Grand Conjuration, does that mean he's a wannabe guitar player?

You're juding him from one video, in which he's specifically copying what Gilbert is playing. It's to have fun. It's not meant to be serious, like everybody else is making it out to be. They were having fun, that doesn't mean that Sheehan is a bad bass player because he's having fun with the guitar player for his band.

Nuk3m said:
Yeh i dont get it with some bassists tone.

THEY ARE BASSISTS SO WHERE THE FUCK DID THE BASS GO?

Im personaly not satisfied with my tone until i get the low to low mid rumble going. And i usually just EQ the shit so the high-highs stand out so it sounds like i have new strings and then i EQ the normal Highs out, mainly the area of the guitar. Thats their terrortory if i wanted it id get a guitar or id play really distatfully like this guy billy does.

If you want to hear a good bass solo then DL Incognito - Magnetic Ocean, its my favorite solo and has been for a few years.

A funky fusion jazz track.
If Sheehan's tone was so distasteful, why does he have his own signature preamp with Ampeg, that has the overdriven channel? If overdriven bass in general is distasteful, tell that to Sodom's bass player/singer (who's name escapes me at the moment). Tell that to Lemmy from Motorhead. Tell that to Rob Trujillo. Tell that to Martin Mendez even, who uses OD on Grand Conjuration.

All of you naysayers are arguing based upon one video in which they specifically copied each other note for note, basically. It really wasn't mean to show off Sheehan's skills at all, because it's a bass vs. guitar duel out in front of a lot of people (I'd estimate maybe 5,000)

That's the point; it was meant as a little fun show off piece for the live crowd, it's not meant to be taken literally as an "omg he's a failed guitarist blahblahblah" thing.

That's the longest on stage wank i've ever seen!!! Very impressive playing though. Guy's clearly spent a hell of a long time practsing to get to that kind of level!

NicholasDWolfwood said:
All of you naysayers are arguing based upon one video in which they specifically copied each other note for note, basically. It really wasn't mean to show off Sheehan's skills at all, because it's a bass vs. guitar duel out in front of a lot of people (I'd estimate maybe 5,000)

That's precisely what I'm judging by. I never pretended I wasn't. I have nothing else to make the judgement by, and I find it interesting that a person would, of all of Sheenan's apparently tasteful playing, pick the one video where he's decided to play his bass like a guitar to showcase his skill.

What I don't understand is 'it really wasn't meant to show off Sheenan's skills at all', when we're reffering to a solo duel... what are they trying to show off then? How tasteless and sporadic they can be? As far as I'm aware, on-stage wankfests only try to show off skills.

Anyway the whole argument has gone a bit too far. There's really nothing to prove on either side. I dislike Sheenan's playing on the video, that's all I'm saying. It doesn't mean I'll never check out his music or give him another shot or whatnot.

If Sheehan's tone was so distasteful, why does he have his own signature preamp with Ampeg, that has the overdriven channel? If overdriven bass in general is distasteful, tell that to Sodom's bass player/singer (who's name escapes me at the moment). Tell that to Lemmy from Motorhead. Tell that to Rob Trujillo. Tell that to Martin Mendez even, who uses OD on Grand Conjuration.

I'm just throwing this in here, but tone is all relative to a persons preference, I for one really dislike Sheehans tones, but hey, hes loves it I guess.

NicholasDWolfwood said:

Because hes a name and they want to cash in on it. And dont say it isnt because they are a fucking business thats what they are meant to do thats is the point of their existance, to make zee monies.

I better tell myself im distastfull......since you have some idea that i dont like overdriven bass.

I overdrive my bass Mr ASSumer. And i love some peoples overdrive like Martins on GR. Its the EQing of his(billys) bass i dont like, its like a guitar.

Btw that low end rumble is when a bass starts to overdrive but mainly in the bass end of things.