Can bass player do this.......???

ppl here are too up in thier own arses......for God's sake....that was a good fun solo thingie...what the hell is wrong with havin soem fun in awhile...adn judgiing his whoel career adn bass playing style from 1 vid of apparent show off toungue in cheek solo is rather stupid....o well......i had long b4 given u pon ppl and thie rmusical opinion......liek they say....opinions are like A holes....eveyones got one...adn they stink.........PEAC EOUT

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Kenneth R. said:
Steve Vai uncreative? are you deaf? his playing borders on what some consider music, but you can't deny that he's out there experimenting with what can be done with a guitar.
i'm not flaming anyone's taste with that comment. i never said anything about whether i like his music or if you did or not. i am making the point that saying he is uncreative or otherwise untalented is like saying he is a dolphin. it's blatantly false. as to whether he can write good (again subjective) music, that is questionable. however, his playing is creative, in that he is/was very experimental, which contributes to aforementioned possible songwriting issues.

as for Sheehan, so many people have already stated it so i won't say it again.

Kenneth R said:
i'm not flaming anyone's taste with that comment. i never said anything about whether i like his music or if you did or not. i am making the point that saying he is uncreative or otherwise untalented is like saying he is a dolphin. it's blatantly false. as to whether he can write good (again subjective) music, that is questionable. however, his playing is creative, in that he is/was very experimental, which contributes to aforementioned possible songwriting issues. as for Sheehan, so many people have already stated it so i won't say it again.

I'm only saying that because you sarcastically called someone deaf, I know it's really childish to complain about that, but after seeing that thread it made me think... Sorry if you feel I'm using you as an example, it was very dumb of me! LETS JUST SETTLE THIS: I like air, and you probably do too. See? No arguing! Alrighty then.

trying to limit bass players to "groves" or whatnot is just lame. billy sheehan at least is trying to do something interesting with the bass, rather than lame ass rythms. he actually approaches it like an instrument and not bongos. that's why he is one of the best bassists around. check out his work with steve vai on the last G3 DVD...madness.

I don't think I've really made my opinion clear here... I think Billy playing bass like that is a great idea, because bassists do sound way too limited. Besides, like mentioned before, he was just doing it for fun! So shut the hell up and quit yur bitchin'! :)

Billy is a really down to earth guy, haven't personally met him but we used to exchange a few emails here & there... he's always happy to give advice which was nice to see. Even asked a friend of mine to stay at his place when he was going to the states to save some money and stuff....

And damn, Billy can play.... there's millions of guitarists who couldn't do half of that stuff with strings half as thick. He rocks :)

Alumnes, did you mean live in tokyo (G3) ??

Moonlapse- What is wrong with playing an instument without placing limits on it, or playing it unconventionally? It is very VERY rare to come across a bass solo, much less an 8 minute one. Is it written down somewhere in stone that one must play the bass a certain way, as well as the guitar and drums a certain way? Is it so wrong to break the musical mold and shine some light on an extremely underrated and unappreciated instrument? Can a pianist ever so creatively play the piano without criticisms of sounding like or playing like, god forbid, a keyboardist?
It angers me that so many people place so many limits on things, especially on art. There are no limits to art, or music. So if a bassist wants to do a kick-ass, guitar-like solo, can he get off without being called a "guitarist wannabe"?
The bass happens to be my favorite instrument in metal music. And I think people, including you, need to give bass players a little more credit than you do.

the bass is so underrated
I couldn't agree with you more.

Moonlapse said:
He may well be good, but that doesn't change the fact that he solos like a wannabe guitarist.

Seriously, what the fuck? Do guitarists have a monopoly on "playing lots of high notes really fast?" Or are they all playing like wannabe violinists? Who are all playing like wannabe pianists, of course, who are all playing like wannabe clavichord players. Playing tons of high notes fast and in boring rhythms/patterns is a technique that has existed on nearly every non-percussion instrument known to man (just look at pieces that have NO OTHER FUNCTION like "flight of the bumblebee"), it's not like the electric guitarists invented it. You might as well dismiss all guitar shredders outright and say they're ripping off Liszt, the extreme virtuoso piano performer/composer (or Stravinsky or whoever else wrote/played fast violin solos before there were electric guitars).

Besides, he uses a lot of techniques that can't quite be used by guitarists, like strange methods of artificial and tap harmonics. I really don't think you can point to anything in this video and say it was created by electric guitarists or is exclusive to the instrument.

Apparently, we have some closed-minded hippies in here.

Why place limits on a musical instrument because it doesn't fit people's "traditional" standards? I agree with the above comment.

Besids, as you can see, as they get back into the full swing of the song, Billy Sheehan isn't exactly going wankwankwank on the bass, is he? He's playing the normal groove of the song, as the bass is "supposed" to be doing.

And...the comment about Steve Vai is just very distasteful to me. He's plenty original. Some people make it seem like Steve Vai is a wanker just because he has shown himself on numerous occasions to be and has made a name for himself as a superior guitarist in terms of technicality. I think that's just wrong.

OK his stuff isnt out of the mold he sounds like a guitar.

And i think the only person who said he should stop playing bass is me, the bassist. Which was a joke really i dont like his soloing style because to me its sounds like a guitarist.

Ive heard alot of bass solos, many of them going very high on the fretboard. They were still bass solos and not a furustrated guitarist.

The factors defining the two arnt just high notes, theres alot that goes into it.

Pointless discussion.
Whether or not you like him, there's no denying his ability.
Its like guitar players bagging on Malmsteen. Sure he is (very) repetitive, but his gold material is still gold and did kick everyone in the nuts when it first came out.

KFK

waz416c said:
......ahhaha.......that sheehan dude is pretty good.......hahaha.......but no seriosuly.......Im impressed.......Im sure Bass player has his own style adn all....but this is pretty impressive...!!!!......PEAC EOUT

Sheehan is an amazing bassist... I got to see him play on the G3 tour, I think he came out with Steve Vai... I was only there to see Malmsteen tho... Satch and Vai are great musicians... but I don't ingest enough amounts of mind altering drugs to really enjoy their music... but for the matter at hand, Sheehan is arguably one of the best rock/metal bassists ever