Can Doom be without metal?

Crimson Death

El Basilisco
Jan 24, 2002
Israel
As in Doom music and not Doom metal.

For example a very addicting song I've been listening to all week long :)

King Crimson - Starless, from the album Red

This song is very doom, but it's not metal, and it's before doom metal was ever made....

What I mean is that the music has the same feeling of doom to me but without the heavyness or the sharp edge, but it's very bleaky IMO.

Erez

music has become so abused, you have the following:

Pop/Dance music
Rock/Pop (including heavy music, its not anyones fault that they cant hear what a distorted guitar is doing)
And Classical.

Doom? for christ sake, its going to get to a pint eventually where every song is considered to be a different type of music. Rock is sad and happy, that does not mean you should separate it. This is a moral thing that should not be abused. I argue his case because I believe people are fooling themselves. After Hearing Sisters Of Nercy (consididered to be the daddy of goth) I though "These are an amazing rock band". They are not goth for christ sake they are rock with some great songs. I love them and this constant crap about what type of music a band is has got to stop. Listen and enjoy, if it is loud and heavy call it loud and heavy, not "DEATH METAL" for fucks sake!!!. (by the way for those who think I know nothing I love At the Gates and have 3 albums of theirs!!)

Doom Metal, without metal would probably turn out sounding like goth rock (ie: London After Midnight, Christian Death, Bauhaus.)

*shrug*

Originally posted by Crimson Death
As in Doom music and not Doom metal.

For example a very addicting song I've been listening to all week long :)

King Crimson - Starless, from the album Red

This song is very doom, but it's not metal, and it's before doom metal was ever made....

What I mean is that the music has the same feeling of doom to me but without the heavyness or the sharp edge, but it's very bleaky IMO.

Erez

Well, the song is certainly sad but not really that doomy.

Yes, u just listen to LYCIA... it's doom without brutal guitar fuzz

Lycia is more in the ambient goth vein than anything else.

Originally posted by Her own Pride
music has become so abused, you have the following:

Pop/Dance music
Rock/Pop (including heavy music, its not anyones fault that they cant hear what a distorted guitar is doing)
And Classical.

Doom? for christ sake, its going to get to a pint eventually where every song is considered to be a different type of music. Rock is sad and happy, that does not mean you should separate it. This is a moral thing that should not be abused. I argue his case because I believe people are fooling themselves. After Hearing Sisters Of Nercy (consididered to be the daddy of goth) I though "These are an amazing rock band". They are not goth for christ sake they are rock with some great songs. I love them and this constant crap about what type of music a band is has got to stop. Listen and enjoy, if it is loud and heavy call it loud and heavy, not "DEATH METAL" for fucks sake!!!. (by the way for those who think I know nothing I love At the Gates and have 3 albums of theirs!!)

Yeah, great. That's usefull. Why go that far then. why not just call everything music. Wouldn't want anything getting labelled now would we. :rolleyes:

Coarse sisters of mercy are goth. :p

Doom has been around in one form or another since the 70's with Black Sabbath leading the way. It doesnt have to be heavy though, Rock music can definately have a doom edge to it.

:lol: you can continue to discuss this in a fooking lifetime, and never get to an agreement... I like Doommetal, and those who categories My Dying Bride as "doom" are right! - the end :)

proper doom has nothing to do with metal .its more to do with breakdowns and insanity and life ruining events. at least thats what my songs are about.