CAN I ASK WHAT DO YOU THINK OF LAMB OF GOD

But if you're going to hate on LP for that reason, you may as well hate on everything other than metal.

Scott

Henrik Main said:
I DONT REALLY LIKE THEM PADDY SORRY, BUT ILL SHUT MY CHOPS UP FOR NOW :kickass: :kickass:
img_Sportster1.jpg

:lol:

I didn't say "didn't like"....I said HATE.

There's this hate for certain non metal bands that aren't trying to be thrash or metal. Korn, Slipknot, LP...etc.

lol...

Korn is pretty shitty now, but their first few CD's were pretty good, and created a whole genre that created even more genres. I don't think you can ever call a band that can do that "awful".

Scott

SheisMySin said:
lol...

Korn is pretty shitty now, but their first few CD's were pretty good, and created a whole genre that created even more genres. I don't think you can ever call a band that can do that "awful".

Scott

You can when the spawn an awful and overrated genre.

I think the main problem people have with the mainstream is that it takes marginally good bands, maybe some good ones, and then proclaims them to be the best. Metalheads all have their own opinion of the best and it is frustrating when you see watered down crap being called the next big thing in metal. That's at least how I feel.

SheisMySin said:
lol...

Scott

Oasis helped spawn the "Britpop" curse. These bands then went on to form other indie sub genres.

I most definitely CAN call them awful.

Korn mate, spawned the Nu-Metal movement / curse. Their albums are awful imo, with their first having only the dubious distinction of being the "least worst"

SheisMySin said:
That post doesn't make sense.

They weren't TRYING to be thrash or death metal...they were going somewhere new.

LOG is metal, and just because mainstream listeners start hopping on the bandwagon, it's dumb for metalheads to reject them.

You would think ANY mainstream exposure of metal would be welcomed, as it brings in new fans of the genre everyday. No one just wakes up and starts listening to Celtic Frost or Vader. They are acquired tastes. Thankfully some bands recruit listeners with crossover material.

Scott
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: out of five
When they first started out they didn't give a fuck about what they sounded like, or who they sounded like. They just made music.

Carcassian said:
Oasis helped spawn the "Britpop" curse. These bands then went on to form other indie sub genres.

I most definitely CAN call them awful.

Korn mate, spawned the Nu-Metal movement / curse. Their albums are awful imo, with their first having only the dubious distinction of being the "least worst"
I like Oasis
DISCLAIMER: Erik, please don't delete this post!

KornyBstd said:
But why is that? Because other people listen to good music does that mean you don't like it anymore?? Do you have to be the only one who likes a band so you feel special?

Tell me, did Lamb of God's music change after their commercial success? NO! Not at all, they stuck to their original style! And whats the big deal about mainstream..mainstream music is made to be good, and some of it IS good..so instead of saying: no i don't like it because everyone likes it... say: I like it because it sounds good, i dont give a fuck what everyone else likes

I personally like several "mainstream" bands like Throwdown and Korn, I used to like Slipknot til their latest album which is just a complete change of style from their brutal music to more toned down for the general public (this is the only time I get mad at mainstream..when they take a band apart for more money)

But yes I can see why no one likes mainstream music..I can admit most of it sux..but once in a while there comes a catchy tune and it can totally kick ass!

Btw a question..if a band like Finntroll or Bathory all of a sudden started playing on the radio and everyone fell in love with them..would you stop listening to them?

I agree it all comes down to the fact that their music remains the same. However, you have to take in consideration the fact that most bands that became mainstream did so by changing their music. It's very rare when a band sticks to its roots and finally gets notice. There's usually some kind of compromise ivolved.

I think this thread summarises much of what gets posted here on UM.
You can like or dislike something, fine, but don't expect everyone on planet earth/the metal community/whatever to agree with you, whether you have a good reason or a completely irrational one.
I respect a logical arguement or constructive criticism, so long as they're backed up with sensible reasoning, but I also respect the right to hate something, simply because you do. The only real problem I have is when someone assumes they are right and hence anyone who disagrees with them are wrong.
After all, there is no accounting for taste.

dEaThToFaLsEmEtAl34 said:
I agree it all comes down to the fact that their music remains the same. However, you have to take in consideration the fact that most bands that became mainstream did so by changing their music. It's very rare when a band sticks to its roots and finally gets notice. There's usually some kind of compromise ivolved.

I guess you could even argue this in the case of a band like Sunn O))), who debatably don't even make music at all, yet have been refining a sound for years and adapted some more commercial elements on Black One.

Billenzimmer said:
I think this thread summarises much of what gets posted here on UM.
You can like or dislike something, fine, but don't expect everyone on planet earth/the metal community/whatever to agree with you, whether you have a good reason or a completely irrational one.
I respect a logical arguement or constructive criticism, so long as they're backed up with sensible reasoning, but I also respect the right to hate something, simply because you do. The only real problem I have is when someone assumes they are right and hence anyone who disagrees with them are wrong.
After all, there is no accounting for taste.
Great post
I'd rate it if I hadn't been rating so much shit lately.

ender7227 said:
None of these bands set themselves up to be stars, including Lamb of God. The record companies saw them and said "Hey, there's a few bucks" and started the wonderful overexposure we have to deal with today. But all of these bands avoided the mainstream at first.

I take it you don't know much of the history of Danzig or Pantera. your argument is probably valid as far as Slayer goes, however.

SheisMySin said:
>>>It makes me feel like a fucking lemming.

Who cares what you feel like because of others?

For the longest time I hated the mere idea of Linkin Park. Everyone worshipped them, which made me vomit...but then when I really gave them a chance, I ended up loving them too.

I almost felt like I needed a shower or something, but whatever...they have a cool unique sound and very catchy songwriting that has a lot of repeat value. They weren't metal, they weren't TRYING to be metal...yet metalheads just want to bash them because....why who knows.

There's something to be said for songs you can sing along with, and that's just not the case in a lot of metal.

Scott

Lemmings jump off of cliffs because that's what other lemmings do. I don't ever what my musical interests to take a dive off of the proverbial cliff, I want them to evolve. Plus, there is the whole overexposure thing, which ruins music. If everyone you knew listened to Linkin Park all the time, would you still be as willing to listen to them?
As far as metal not good for singing along with, I assume you're ignoring Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, W.A.S.P., Accept, Queensryche, Saxon, Motorhead, etc., etc...