Can someone please help explain to me the SSL sound.....

chadsxe

Super Rad Member
Dec 13, 2005
I am seriously considering picking up the waves ssl or the ssl duendo based off of peoples gleaming joy over them. I was wondering if anyone can actually help me get a better idea as to what I will be hearing. Yeah I know that sounds like an impossible task but lets try anyways. I am guessing the G comp/eq are fairly colored and not clean. What kind of coloring would you consider this. Is this a more so a warmth or a freq specific type of sound. Ekk...this is a hard question to ask.

i used the free colourtone plug-in which modeled an SSL Compressor/EQ and made it sound fatter but clearer, i dunno if this is how the original SSL's were but i suppose it must be something similar if thats what its supposed be modelling.

Atheist said:
Is there a demo version?

Not of the deundo.....I am going to give the demo a run for the waves ssl though. I am just looking for fome first hand impression from people who have had experince with an SSL and or sim.

chadsxe said:
Not of the deundo.....I am going to give the demo a run for the waves ssl though. I am just looking for fome first hand impression from people who have had experince with an SSL and or sim.

I A/B'd the Duende and the Waves SSL plugs and liked them both but for the type of sound most of us are after the Waves plugs just nail it.

If you are on a Mac you should check out the MH Channel Strip too.

Razorjack said:
I A/B'd the Duende and the Waves SSL plugs and liked them both but for the type of sound most of us are after the Waves plugs just nail it.

Intresting....that would lighten the hit on my pocket. I am working on a PC so the MH is out of the question.

Machinated said:
Is Duende available for PC? I thought I remembered it being Mac only. Ill check now.

Haha...good point. I never checked. Duh.

Razorjack said:

I know this is retarded but if you had to explain "the type of sound most of us are after" what would you say.

The G-Buss is like an essential tube of super glue you reach for when you've bust somet!! The G-Equalizer is more responsive(freq specific) than the E-Channel which basically "wang the dials and see"!! I have had the native package for just over a month now and that is my run down of it! You can dial in most things you are after pretty quickly if you throw formula out of the window with the E-Channel, but I've noticed to stick more to "routine" eq'ing with the G-Eq. For PC this is the best bundle I have worked with.

Mikey Bolton said:
The G-Buss is like an essential tube of super glue you reach for when you've bust somet!! .

So this obviously gets straped across the main buss, correct? From all logic I imagine that you would not use this unless you were mastering your own music.

chadsxe said:
I am seriously considering picking up the waves ssl or the ssl duendo based off of peoples gleaming joy over them. I was wondering if anyone can actually help me get a better idea as to what I will be hearing. Yeah I know that sounds like an impossible task but lets try anyways. I am guessing the G comp/eq are fairly colored and not clean. What kind of coloring would you consider this. Is this a more so a warmth or a freq specific type of sound. Ekk...this is a hard question to ask.

I would never call a g series channel strip colored. In fact they are quite boring sounding to me, especially the g console preamps too. The g series is based more on transperancy and functionality, not coloration of the sound. The E series (the predecessor to the g) eq is certainly more colored and unique sounding to me. However that does not make it better, both are great eqs to me. Now the g series BUS comp has a bit a of color to it, but it varies greatly on how you set the compressor...the attack and release controls are VITAL on this comp. The e series are certainly a bit warmer...but mainly have a different eq curves than the g giving them a different sound. For example the E eq has a "bell" button in the Low frequencies which can allow for some more subtle bumps in the bottom end, where the g has a low shelving eq with LMF /3 button which divides the low frequency selected by 3 for a bit more options in the low end. So think of it this way...G is boring and transparent, but very functional. E is a bit more colored with some different low end options and some different eq curves. The g series channel compressors sound very similar to a dbx 160 to me as well so keep that in mind.

Also there is two different E series eqs, the brown and black series. The original brown series has no bypassable high and low filters in the eq. The filters are always on and cut a little bit of bandwidth from the overall signal. In the 80s an engineer complained about the bandwidth cut and they created the black eq which has a fully bypassable hi and lo shelf on the channel. You can tell them apart by the brown or black LF knobs, OR by the detented LF or HF controls. The black has the detented controls.

axeman720 said:
I would never call a g series channel strip colored. In fact they are quite boring sounding to me, especially the g console preamps too. The g series is based more on transperancy and functionality, not coloration of the sound. The E series (the predecessor to the g) eq is certainly more colored and unique sounding to me. However that does not make it better, both are great eqs to me. Now the g series BUS comp has a bit a of color to it, but it varies greatly on how you set the compressor...the attack and release controls are VITAL on this comp. The e series are certainly a bit warmer...but mainly have a different eq curves than the g giving them a different sound. For example the E eq has a "bell" button in the Low frequencies which can allow for some more subtle bumps in the bottom end, where the g has a low shelving eq with LMF /3 button which divides the low frequency selected by 3 for a bit more options in the low end. So think of it this way...G is boring and transparent, but very functional. E is a bit more colored with some different low end options and some different eq curves. The g series channel compressors sound very similar to a dbx 160 to me as well so keep that in mind.

Also there is two different E series eqs, the brown and black series. The original brown series has no bypassable high and low filters in the eq. The filters are always on and cut a little bit of bandwidth from the overall signal. In the 80s an engineer complained about the bandwidth cut and they created the black eq which has a fully bypassable hi and lo shelf on the channel. You can tell them apart by the brown or black LF knobs, OR by the detented LF or HF controls. The black has the detented controls.

I'm gonna back you up on nearly everything said here. I do disagree about the dbx 160 sounding like the g comp. The 160 is a lot more aggressive than the ssl onboard compressors. I tend to use the ssl dynamics as more of a "finishing" compressor. I know one thing, if the signal that you put through the channel isn't super hot, you have to seriously crank the threshold to really hear what the compressor is doing. Andy Wallace hardly uses any outboard dynamics. He normally just cranks the shit out of the ssl.

In a nutshell, SSL's are clear and really punchy. The j-series is even more clear and punchy than it's predecessors. Some people don't really like that, but I do. The j eq is more precise (sensitive), and if you've been working on digital boards a lot they may seem more familiar sounding.

I'll be purchasing the Duende when they put out the windows version.

I'd like to see how close the waves are to the real thing only for curiosity as the plug in sounds great and I couldn't care less if it was like the real thing as it is a great thing in its own right. The fact is that the ssl g seris sounds fat the master buss compressor is dirrrty and that why people like andy wallace push it hard from an early stage

check this for detailed description of andy wallaces use on a three doors down track.

http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_andy_wallace/index.html

For rock the ssl is great as it just glues everything together and the eq's are reall aggressive, but warm or more to the point fuzzy even though they are transistor.

McDsp does a good job with their analog 1 and 2 plug ins too.

expensive shit though!

still I'm sure a lot of you have found that your wallets have been magically filled up as sooo many people own the ssl waves now that two weeks ago.

smy1 said:
I really don't get the hype about the SSL bus compressor. To me it makes everything sound smaller and out of context. Even at very modest settings.

Not my favorite plugin at all.

I agree 100%. Even when mixing through it (as opposed to slapping it on at the end of a mix), it always sounds better/more open to me without it. I definitely don't hear that "glue" everyone talks about with the hardware. A buddy of mine just got a hardware 384, so I can't wait to hear the real deal. He said the plugin sounds nothing like it (as expected).

I love the channel strip though. I use it like crazy.