Can someone PLEASE tell me why this is popular?

I stand corrected. I guess I didn't do the appropriate math translating their goofy stage names to the legal names the songwriting credits are linked to. That said, they seem to have songwriting help on nearly every track. Regardless, I'm not sure how you go about writing songs without playing instruments. Perhaps everything is programmed? Actually... don't answer that. I really don't care. :yuk:

Zod

I don't mind people co-writing or getting material from other writers. Desmond Child has been an inspiration to me for decades. The man can write. I'm not insinuating that you're condemning writers Zod, just throwing more tidbits out for the discussion.

Smart ass comment!
Who... me? :heh:

I don't mind people co-writing or getting material from other writers. Desmond Child has been an inspiration to me for decades. The man can write. I'm not insinuating that you're condemning writers Zod, just throwing more tidbits out for the discussion.
I have to admit, I've always thought less of bands that use outside songwriters. I believe I ripped Queensryche for this in another thread.

It's one thing if you co-write a song with a fellow musician who you want to collaborate with, it's another to bring in a Desmond Child.

Zod

Zod - I agree.

As a parent of two young girls, I have to admit that I am a fan of Taylor Swift.
Well, fan of her as a person , more than her music.
She is a young pop artist who actually has her hand in the songwriting process.

Yeah, as far as KISS working with Desmond Child????
I never really understood that.
I mean, you would think in their heyday, Paul and Gene would have been able to write on their own.

Though, I am not a KISS expert. Maybe this was in their contract with Casablanca.

I mean, we have all seen THAT THING YOU DO , right?
As Tom Hanks said, "You WILL do "That Thing You Do" in Spanish as the b-side of the next single"

Sometimes, these things are out of your hands, esp at the major label level.

I remember about 10 years ago, a midwest pop-punk band the ATARIS got signed to a major label deal.
Their first single was a cover of THE BOYS OF SUMMER.
At that time, I was like, "You have to be kidding me! You release a cover for your first single"
I later learned they had no input as to what was to be released.

Who... me? :heh:

I have to admit, I've always thought less of bands that use outside songwriters. I believe I ripped Queensryche for this in another thread.

It's one thing if you co-write a song with a fellow musician who you want to collaborate with, it's another to bring in a Desmond Child.

Zod

He writes with a lot of people that write their own material all the time. Check out his website and his list of songs and artists he's worked with in his career. It's quite impressive and more diverse after the 80s. Plus he's also a great producer. If I had some talent and the funds to afford hiring him for a song or 2 I'd do it in a heartbeat just for the experience. I could only imagine what I could learn from someone like that.

Don't get me wrong. Desmond is an incredibly talented person. I don't hold him in contempt for bringing his talents to the projects he works on. I simply think less of the "artists" that rely on his services.

Zod

I gotta go with Zod here. Using someone else's music to put on your own album is lame. Covers are one thing; they're kind of a tribute to bands that influenced you and you putting a cover on your album is just paying homage to that person or group. But hiring an actual songwriter to do the work for you? Garbage.

The only pop I like is Lady Gaga...her music is incredibly catchy, she's been playing piano since the age of 4, she writes all her own songs and she's even written songs for other artists over the years.

I'm pretty sure that most metal musicians/songwriters wouldn't be able to write a catchy dance song just as well as most dance musicians/songwriters wouldn't be able to write an asskicking metal song. You can't write something you don't "feel for" and get it right. If they could, I can guarentee you that Steve Harris, Tony Iommi, Kai Hansen, etc would be doing that and making a ton of money on it.

c.

True of the people you mentioned, but I suspect there are a few out there that could do it. Peter Tägtgren comes to mind. Some of his Pain songs would fit right into a dance/techno club rotation.

Um, Rammstein, anyone? They're always played at techno/dance clubs.

The word "catchy" doesn't usually belong in the prog world because most prog bands would view it as too simplistic. If there's no shredding or weedle weedle wee on the keyboards it's not worth their time. But to say that most metal musicians couldn't write a catchy dance song is a bit far-fetched.