Can someone PLEASE tell me why this is popular?

Dude. You're WAY off base here. I play in a jazz combo. Been playing jazz for years. Since high school. You wanna grab a comment and wrench it out of context...then you need to pick a different one.

Ok then. You just sounded like the typical "100% metalhead" that lurks around the forum every now and then. You know, the typical ignorant dude who will say he ONLY listens to metal because metal is the ONLY type of good music. I am actually glad to be proven wrong, and glad you're not one of those. Maybe you should watch for how you word your sentences... Anyways, explained... So I take back my comment. Sorry about that! =)

MeTuLHeD -
Re-read what you wrote.
Those comments are VERY stereotypical.
Look, I agree with you that rock bands are more true "musicians" in the general sense of the term than rappers.

Though some rappers are truly good lyricists.

I dunno... Your "can't count change" comment is as absurd as non-metal fans who make comments that all metalheads are "Losers, burn outs, etc, etc"

Ok then. You just sounded like the typical "100% metalhead" that lurks around the forum every now and then. You know, the typical ignorant dude who will say he ONLY listens to metal because metal is the ONLY type of good music. I am actually glad to be proven wrong, and glad you're not one of those. So I take back my comment. Sorry about that! =)

No prob bro. You don't know me from Adam's house cat. I wouldn't expect you to be up on my history. But to be fair, you might want to have that knee looked at. It jerks a bit. :)

By the way, wanna check out some killer new jazz? Denny Jiosa - Lights Of The City...a great disc. Also Richard Elliot - Rock Steady...another very nice disc from the ex-Tower Of Power sax man.

No prob bro. You don't know me from Adam's house cat. I wouldn't expect you to be up on my history. But to be fair, you might want to have that knee looked at. It jerks a bit. :)

LMAO, been there since I learned how to speak!! :lol:

By the way, wanna check out some killer new jazz? Denny Jiosa - Lights Of The City...a great disc. Also Richard Elliot - Rock Steady...another very nice disc from the ex-Tower Of Power sax man.

Thank you. I will check these out for sure. Jazzberry Pie is a fun disc!!

Heavy metal music by straight white guys who have talent and can speak English correctly (even those who aren't American) isn't politically correct anymore. :cry::erk:

What about heavy metal music by gay white guys who have talent and can speak English correctly?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re-read what you wrote.

No dude. You need to re-read what YOU wrote. You're the one who's ready to kick my ass off the forum. Get a grip here.

Those comments are VERY stereotypical.

No. Those comments are the truth as I see it. It may offend you, but...oh well...shrug...that can't be helped. See Rule # 1 of Internet Forumland: As long as there are opinions, there WILL be offense taken.

Look, I agree with you that rock bands are more true "musicians" in the general sense of the term than rappers.

No. It's not that rock bands are "more true musicians"...rock bands are musicians and rappers are not. Rappers may be many things, but I contend without any fear of contradiction that 'musician' isn't one of them. Many of them can't even play an instrument at all, much less with any kind of real skill. Seriously dude. Most of these guys just string together pre-recorded loops and drum machine patterns and have a low bass note thrumming along underneath it. Don't believe me? Just poke around on the internet and check out the dedicated software packages that are created specifically for "rap production". They even advertise them as having gigantic sample libraries with all public performance licenses pre-paid. Call it what you will, but stringing together pre-recorded beats and music and talking over it does NOT make you a musician. Trust me. I've been playing music most of my life and I've seen this garbage up close and personal. A close buddy of mine here in town runs a studio and I've been over there many evenings when he's recording local rappers. He knows how their recordings are made. And he would be the first to tell you that most of them have no real musical talent. They're just cashing in on a HUGE musical fad.

Look bro, I'll be honest here...I don't think this is going anywhere constructive. Here's how I see it. You called me out as a racist and expressed your desire to kick my cyber ass. I responded congently and with clear and reasonable argumentation. At this point you're either too angry or too proud to back down. So tell me how you see this ending.

Oh, and by the way, for the record here's Marsalis on rap. I trust you would agree he's a REAL musician...world class in fact:

"I call them 'ghetto minstrels'. Old school minstrels used to say they were 'real darkies from the real plantation'. Hip-hop substitutes the plantation for the streets. Now you have to say that you're from the streets, you shot some brothers, you went to jail. Rappers have to display the correct pathology. Rap has become a safari for people who get their thrills from watching African-American people debase themselves, men dressing in gold, calling themselves stupid names like Ludacris or 50 Cent, spending money on expensive fluff, using language like 'bitch' and 'ho' and 'my pals'."

DOH! He said the 'N' word. I guess you'll be ready to lynch Brother Wynton now.

Damn, MeTuLHeaD (I will keep your Batman identity intact :D)! Since when did you become so controversial?
I hate to say it (no, I guess I really don't), but I find your analysis of said subject matter to be right on the money,
for the same reasons you listed.
+1,000,000 on the Marsalis comment as well......

Damn, MeTuLHeD (I will keep your Batman identity intact :D)! Since when did you become so controversial?

Dub...you know as well as I do that all you have to do to be controversial these days is tell the truth.

I hate to say it (no, I guess I really don't), but I find your analysis of said subject matter to be right on the money, for the same reasons you listed. +1,000,000 on the Marsalis comment as well...

Yeah, he really nailed it didn't he? It kind of reminds me of when Bill Cosby called 'em all out a couple of years back. All of a sudden he was Uncle Tom just because he said what most of us were already thinkin'. It's really sad too. And there's no way forward as I see it until we can get America to stop eating shit and calling it caviar.

Dub...you know as well as I do that all you have to do to be controversial these days is tell the truth.

I deal with it EVERY day, my friend... On a very personal level...

Yeah, he really nailed it didn't he? It kind of reminds me of when Bill Cosby called 'em all out a couple of years back. All of a sudden he was Uncle Tom just because he said what most of us were already thinkin'. It's really sad too. And there's no way forward as I see it until we can get America to stop eating shit and calling it caviar.

He sure did. I used the eating shit line recently in a music discussion regarding this very topic, and I thought I was going to be killed, and this was amongst "friends"... It was sad how Cosby was turned on, and you are 100% correct, there is NO way forward.....I felt the need to chime in here because of a) the subject matter, and b) Show some support (I got yer back, bro!) :heh:

I know you, and have met Jasonic before, I doubt this discussion would get this harsh in person, both of ya are stand up dudes...

This explains the music industry well:

If it's simple and you play it over and over again the simple-minded will love it. Program the people, they're happy to accept and fit in...

You know, I am not an uber politically correct liberal or anything, but those comments are absurd.

Sure, it might not be music in the traditional sense, but neither was rock n roll at one point in time, let alone metal. Not sure what the point was of making an assumption that this guy can't count change. I have met some metalheads who can't count change, let alone hold a conversation. Sounds like the color of this guy's skin is what bothers you the most.

If I was a mod on this forum, your ass would be gone.

Jason, I think you might be reading a bit too far into this guy's post. Basically, I think what he's saying, that white, urban, poser kids...now that sounds funny :lol: are the ones that really eat this stuff up. With that said, I was a white rural poser kid eating up Whitesnake and Poison back in the day. I don't think what he said justifies him being kicked off the board, because what he said is the truth.

~Brian~

HAHA love the discussions! lol

Anyways there are some talented singers in hip hop...........well I guess I should say more on the r&b side, I think Beyonce is a fantastic singer, as well as some others BUT the "gangster" rap is just stereotypically ridiculous, that being said I leave you with this: LOL

I am not going to bother going back to re-quote previous posts.

I am not disagreeing with what is being said.

Though - In the same breath, it reads as such, "These black guys can't read or count change, and god-fearing white kids eat it up!" Truth or not, it's all in the delivery.

Would you call David Lee Roth a musician? I mean he sings, but as far as I know, he doesn't play any instruments. I would say a vocalist who writes lyrics (IE - being part of the overall songwriting process), could be considered a musician.

So, once again, though maybe unconventional, I don't know if I would 100% agree that a rapper can't be considered a musician.

Would you call David Lee Roth a musician? I mean he sings, but as far as I know, he doesn't play any instruments. I would say a vocalist who writes lyrics (IE - being part of the overall songwriting process), could be considered a musician.
The major difference is David Lee Roth was in a band. He and that band wrote all their own songs, and played all their own instruments. Look at the writing credits on the latest Black Eyed Peas disc... none of them wrote these songs and none of them play the music when these songs are performed live. Pop music has devolved into a karaoke dance contest. It is pathetic.

Zod

The major difference is David Lee Roth was in a band. He and that band wrote all their own songs, and played all their own instruments. Look at the writing credits on the latest Black Eyed Peas disc... none of them wrote these songs and none of them play the music when these songs are performed live. Pop music has devolved into a karaoke dance contest. It is pathetic.

Zod

+1

It would be the same as if an artist had someone else draw and paint a piece of artwork and then he just signed his name to it. It really isnt his.

Zod....what are you doing reading the writting credits on the Black Eyed Peas CD anyways? Is this your way of showing your true colors? Hope that wasnt racist.

He plays guitar, keyboards and harmonica if I'm not wrong. I don't consider rappers musicians, since 90% of the times they have NO music training whatsoever, as opposed to a vocalist in, say, a rock band.