Can someone PLEASE tell me why this is popular?

The major difference is David Lee Roth was in a band. He and that band wrote all their own songs, and played all their own instruments. Look at the writing credits on the latest Black Eyed Peas disc... none of them wrote these songs and none of them play the music when these songs are performed live. Pop music has devolved into a karaoke dance contest. It is pathetic.

What he said. :zombie::ill::lol:

Rappers are not musicians. Artists? Yes, the more lyrically adept ones could certainly be called artists, IMO. But to call them musicians is going a bit far, I think.

And so far, I think most of the people commenting in this thread are taking things WAY too seriously. I suspect MetalCamden posted that video for the lulz. And to torture people, because now it's stuck in my head, you bastard. :lol:

Rappers are not musicians. Artists? Yes, the more lyrically adept ones could certainly be called artists, IMO. But to call them musicians is going a bit far, I think.

And so far, I think most of the people commenting in this thread are taking things WAY too seriously. I suspect MetalCamden posted that video for the lulz. And to torture people, because now it's stuck in my head, you bastard. :lol:

HAHAHAHA LOLOLOLOL

YEAH BUDDY! ROLLIN LIKE A BIG SHOT!

There are lots of rappers who do make their own beats, though.

If making beats isn't making music, than does that mean all electronic stuff isn't music either?

Zod....what are you doing reading the writting credits on the Black Eyed Peas CD anyways? Is this your way of showing your true colors?
One of my Facebook friends was talking up how talented the BEPs are. When I stopped laughing, I became curious to know if they at least write their own songs. So I went on Wikipedia. Shockingly, they don't.

They don't play instruments.

They don't write songs.

They can't sing.

They're not even an attractive group.

Yet... they've made more money than all the bands who have played ProgPower... combined.

God bless America.

Zod

One of my Facebook friends was talking up how talented the BEPs are. When I stopped laughing, I became curious to know if they at least write their own songs. So I went on Wikipedia. Shockingly, they don't.

They don't play instruments.

They don't write songs.

They can't sing.

They're not even an attractive group.

Yet... they've made more money than all the bands who have played ProgPower... combined.

God bless America.

Zod

+1 HAHA sad but true

You guys are getting a bit off tangent here.

Of course, a pop artist like Britney Spears, who doesn't write ANY of her own material, and lip synchs all the time, is certainly NOT a musician.

DLR I would consider one due to working IN a band, though not actually writing music.

For the record, the Black Eyes Peas kick serious amounts of ass!
Any band that can work in MAZEL TOV into a song gets my vote!

The major difference is David Lee Roth was in a band. He and that band wrote all their own songs, and played all their own instruments. Look at the writing credits on the latest Black Eyed Peas disc... none of them wrote these songs and none of them play the music when these songs are performed live. Pop music has devolved into a karaoke dance contest. It is pathetic.

Right on! My point exactly.

Really? Fergie has one fucking hell of a voice.
I've never heard her sing anything that's impressed me. But to be fair, I don't spend a lot of time listening to the BEPs. Regardless, with the way Pop music is, if I heard something that impressed me, I'd assume it was studio magic. And a quick Google search reveals that Fergie's producer is more likely responsible for anything impressive you hear in Fergie's voice than talent.

This is was the first hit I got...

Fergie Live

A lot of those singers do, actually.
See above.

Zod

The real problem is that the record industry is dominated by old fossils who have been dictating what we listen since the late Sixties. Look at people running the show: Clive Davis, Barry Weiss, Rick Rubin and Lyor Cohen have been dictating the taste for years. These people only care about THEIR tastes in what music is. They have no interest in finding out what people really want. Clive Davis even said "Professional songwriters, with artists, make hits." With a mentality like that, what chance does a real artist have.

I've never heard her sing anything that's impressed me. But to be fair, I don't spend a lot of time listening to the BEPs. Regardless, with the way Pop music is, if I heard something that impressed me, I'd assume it was studio magic. And a quick Google search reveals that Fergie's producer is more likely responsible for anything impressive you hear in Fergie's voice than talent.

This is was the first hit I got...

Fergie Live

See above.

Zod

Check this out.

Not bad, I've heard better. Kind of earthy, which I like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not bad, I've heard better. Kind of earthy, which I like.
Hey Creeps... since there's no possible way for you to give me the last four minutes and twenty seconds of my life back, I expect you'll buy me a beer at PPXI. :loco:

Nothing I heard in her performance warrants her level of success. I've heard better performances at karaoke bars. Was she awful? No. Was she good? Not in my opinion. Now, if you like her style or tone, that's something different. Hell, I love Vince Neil's voice... aand I think we can agree, Vince can't sing.

Zod

Really guys, would having Power Metal videos showing on MTV or VH1 24/7 really make the music more enjoyable?? Be glad that most of your favorite bands are still making great albums and coming to the US for shows such as Prog Power and the like.

It sucks that most of the shit that passes for Rap these days is really terrible, but who cares? I have not watched MTV or VH1 in years and I am all the better for it.

Really? Fergie has one fucking hell of a voice.

Nailz, I'll have to agree with you here. :kickass:

Hey Creeps... since there's no possible way for you to give me the last four minutes and twenty seconds of my life back, I expect you'll buy me a beer at PPXI. :loco:

Nothing I heard in her performance warrants her level of success. I've heard better performances at karaoke bars. Was she awful? No. Was she good? Not in my opinion. Now, if you like her style or tone, that's something different. Hell, I love Vince Neil's voice... aand I think we can agree, Vince can't sing.

Zod

Zod, personally, I think Fergie has a good voice. Am I fan? No Do I like the way she looks? Yes She has the whole package, a decent voice and sex appeal, thus the level of her success.

~Brian~

hahaha yes, her success is do decent singing and good looks. wonder who she knew to get in there? hmmm

She was part of an all girl group called, Wild Orchid, in the 90's, so she's been at it for awhile. Persistence pays off for some people I guess. If you'll remember, she also had a small cameo role in the movie, Poisidon.

~Brian~