Can We Do Something About All The Covers?

JeffTD

Senhor Testiculo
Sep 29, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
www.jeffdunne.com
I never check this subforum anymore because it doesn't have anything but midi drum+gtr DI covers of songs for mix practices anymore.

I get that for a lot of you guys these are helpful tools and good for practicing but it's so frustrating to want to go in and see what other engineers are working on, who's mixing what, etc only to find out that the only threads currently running are one-man covers. I don't see how endlessly interesting it seems to be - after a while it really is "just another cover" and a lot of these are being submitted by only a few dudes.

Can we get one blanket thread, maybe a sticyk (one already exists...) where people post these in? If you're someone who posts a lot of covers for people t mix, maybe keep it to one thread?

Seriously Agree 100%. We should have two different forums cause it's getting insane how few of these rate my mixes and how many are "here's some midi mix a song please".

+1 for the separate mixing practice sub.

I write songs only for the purpose of making them available for mixing practice (no covers, ever) because it lets people actually create a mix out of scratch, not focused on the original mix most likely made by some of the greatest engineers on the planet.

Sadly the drums are rendered stuff and MIDI for those who wish to use their own means but I'm starting to feature high quality tracked drums in the summer.

i think we can apply this analisis to the whole forum: More advanced or "pro" topics are showing up less an less everyday while more beginer topics are the norm. Im not saying im a pro by any means becouse im not, but i really enjoyed when guys like Ermz, Lasse (to name only few, and of course Andy or Collin R.) engaged on topics about "real" gear or shared a more profound insight about certain aspects of sound.
Now everybody is selling samples, kemper profiles, everyone is posting there studio services even when they are openly showing a picture of their bedroom. Im not saying this is good or bad and i dont want to offend anyone, but yeah, i miss the times when people discussed about big name records or when they posted mixes of real bands.
It just seems that being a producer today is: Buying a kemper, SSD4, Superior and some studio drum samples, trillian and you are good to go.

I would like the forum to have more specific sub forums and also different topics:
Rate my mix
Covers and stems (for mixing practice)
wouldnt know how to name it, but a section to discuss new records and releases (like for example, discussing non andy sneap records)
Maybe a section for beginers? Couse, there are a lot of interesting topics in F.O.H but they are flooded with other ones like "How do guitars?" and that kind of stuff.
I know this originaly is an Andy Sneap forum, but i think new comers just think of it as a metal oriented audio forum and in a way, it is that in what it has become, so maybe we should adapt it....

i think we can apply this analisis to the whole forum: More advanced or "pro" topics are showing up less an less everyday while more beginer topics are the norm. Im not saying im a pro by any means becouse im not, but i really enjoyed when guys like Ermz, Lasse (to name only few, and of course Andy or Collin R.) engaged on topics about "real" gear or shared a more profound insight about certain aspects of sound.
Now everybody is selling samples, kemper profiles, everyone is posting there studio services even when they are openly showing a picture of their bedroom. Im not saying this is good or bad and i dont want to offend anyone, but yeah, i miss the times when people discussed about big name records or when they posted mixes of real bands.
It just seems that being a producer today is: Buying a kemper, SSD4, Superior and some studio drum samples, trillian and you are good to go.

I would like the forum to have more specific sub forums and also different topics:
Rate my mix
Covers and stems (for mixing practice)
wouldnt know how to name it, but a section to discuss new records and releases (like for example, discussing non andy sneap records)
Maybe a section for beginers? Couse, there are a lot of interesting topics in F.O.H but they are flooded with other ones like "How do guitars?" and that kind of stuff.
I know this originaly is an Andy Sneap forum, but i think new comers just think of it as a metal oriented audio forum and in a way, it is that in what it has become, so maybe we should adapt it....

Great text.

It's funny, that there's a gazillion threads talking about the same topics which were discussed in some older must-read threads. There's a ton of useful threads around here by great UM-ers you already mentioned and those ones give people from beginner to pro a lot of information about the given subject.

There's a heck of a lot necrobumbing ~2-4 year old threads (most likely asking to upload an ancient one shot bass drum sample) by an user with 2 posts, both of the same kind.

It's not as bad as the Joey Sturgis forum (yet), but a beginner section would be handy.

Agreed with all of the above.

Whenever I see a thread nowadays from the guys that used to post a lot in the mix section (people like Ryan Harvey, Josh Wickman, or Brian Hood for example) it gets little to no attention, and is flooded out by tons of crappy mix practices with shoddy playing/tracking etc. I used to lurk the rate my mix section before joining and there would always be some top notch mixes. Plus the OP would usually be kind enough to give out some info on the mix or tracking.

Obviously this is a public forum, so the only requirement to post is signing up, but it would be nice to see things less cluttered by incorporating some newer sub-forums or stickies.

Edit: I also find it incredibly irksome that no-one can post without being begged for the raw tracks, or, as I see more often, "DIs and stems plz :) "

Guys, can we please keep our elitism to the private "Top Cunts" forum that the newbies don't have access to?

But in all seriousness, as good a discussion as that would be, it's of a broader depth than I wanted to touch upon with this question. I really just hate those fucking cover threads. :lol:

Yeah sorry i hijacked your thread.
I guess we can simply add a sub forum "covers & mix practice" or just a sticky....

I believe we asked this a few times but nothing was ever done. Honestly if we could just make a new user/newb subforum as well that would do incredible things. For instance, the Gearslutz High End section never gets flooded with posts about Behringer gear and vice versa. Obviously it wouldn't be as easy as that, but it's a start. I miss how this forum used to be

Just wanna +1 Jeff's original post. I often wanna hear what new stuff engineers are working on, not a flood of covers/ mix practice threads.

I'm not that mad about the cover stuff...it's always been like whenever I visit the PR either a title catches my eye or a see a username I know.
So the covers in between don't bug me that much, but it would of course be easier to filter out stuff you do want.

I generally think it would be easier for everyone to get to multitracks if it had a dedicated sticky/subforum. Also would spare the occasional "need multitrack!!11" threads :lol:

want to go in and see what other engineers are working on

Engineers ? Please say technicians (and that's being generous). A shitload of the "engineers" freak out when you bring maths into the music, yet call themselves engineers and don't even know how to worth with logarithms. No wonder why discussions are interesting with only few pals here. Use another word. Noobs perhaps ?

Before you go ape shit, I'm just kidding. On topic, that would be great.

I never check this subforum anymore because it doesn't have anything but midi drum+gtr DI covers of songs for mix practices anymore.

I get that for a lot of you guys these are helpful tools and good for practicing but it's so frustrating to want to go in and see what other engineers are working on, who's mixing what, etc only to find out that the only threads currently running are one-man covers. I don't see how endlessly interesting it seems to be - after a while it really is "just another cover" and a lot of these are being submitted by only a few dudes.

Can we get one blanket thread, maybe a sticyk (one already exists...) where people post these in? If you're someone who posts a lot of covers for people t mix, maybe keep it to one thread?

+10

As a personal note, I'd add that it's very often the same kind of music in these 'mix this' threads (deathcore, metalcore, whatevercore) very, very annoying imho, but yeah that's another story :)