Can We Do Something About All The Covers?

As a personal note, I'd add that it's very often the same kind of music in these 'mix this' threads (deathcore, metalcore, whatevercore) very, very annoying imho, but yeah that's another story :)

Not to mention...where the hell is the vocals? ...and real drums?
out of 15 songs posted (that all sounds the same) i can find maybe 2 with vocals...and once every leap year you might find some song with real drums =P

As much as I enjoy mixing the occasional cover for a song I really like, I don't really check this section's threads anymore, because I never find anything interesting anymore. I'd vote for a new section for that, to hopefully bring some life and originality back to the Rate My Mix section.

Come on guys.. I guess it's not really THAT bad.... :p

practicefail.jpg

As much as I'm prolly one of those "targeted" in this post, I just wanna pitch in and say that I agree, a seperate "mix practices" subforum would be really nice.

I think the problem is, many of us really like doing mixing practices. While some couldn't care less about it. So don't bash the guys doing it too much, we just need to be seperated, that's all. :D

The thing I hate the most is I discovered this forum precisely when it was apparently turning to what it is now. When I arrived, andy would chime in here and there and I was reading a lot about audio production, without posting for months. It made me interested in good quality music more than listening to music in first instance.
I remember at some point I managed in a few days to check ALL the threads from the beginning of the AS forum up to the current time back then, and made a huge library of interesting links which I still have bookmarked somewhere. Only stuff that are worth reading. I was "that" amazed.

I really wish I could filter this forum magically a little bit.

What about a "my release" where something has to be released officially to be posted there ? Only professional releases would go there, or at least completely finished projects which are being released to the world.
Then a "rate my mix" with a better name where only 100% natural tracks would fit in (with tolerance) and the rest would go in "mixing practice" or something like this, where all the newcomers would express themselves freely

^Those three subgenres would be very helpful, I agree with you 100%. Unless by "100% natural" you mean that there can't be any bass or drums programmed, which seems a bit rash. But I agree with the other points!

^Those three subgenres would be very helpful, I agree with you 100%. Unless by "100% natural" you mean that there can't be any bass or drums programmed, which seems a bit rash. But I agree with the other points!

yes but as much as I cannot do this myself and alone as I don't have a band right now, I think it is way more interesting to have full natural projects exposed. And as I said, a little tolerance would be nice. Say you have an electronic or industrial band, having a programmed drum would make sense.

A used bass cost me 100 bucks and sounds better than trillian.

Why? None of what's posted is an actual mix practice thread, it's always a "What can you do with this midi file and these badly played DIs?" thread.

I thought it was just the same as Crossfit? Rule number 1 of Crossfit is tell everybody within earshot that you do Crossfit.

Seriously, fuck crossfit.

In regards to covers/partial song mixes it does suck. My band has an album coming out soonish that I'm proud of and I know if I post it up in the bar section it will get moved to the practice room and buried under the di/backing track threads immediately and I'll get no feedback at all.

It just doesn't seem right to have covers/unifinshed mixes/finished productions all lumped together and fighting to be seen.

Why? None of what's posted is an actual mix practice thread, it's always a "What can you do with this midi file and these badly played DIs?" thread.

I just strongly refute the notion that only 100% natural mixes can be seen as "serious" projects. There are tons of professional releases with programmed bass and/or drums that sound great.

And whilst I agree that some mix practices have the problem with pretty badly played DI's, I don't think being handed DI's and MIDI files discounts it as actual mixing practice. Sure, in "real" mixes drums have bleed, bass isn't perfect and so on, but even if your drums and bass are programmed your still training your ear, your still learning your compressor, EQ, reverb and how to best work with them.

Not really. You're working with whatever pretracked/processed sounds you've got in your sampler. That doesn't help people improve beyond a certain point, which is why we need to separate that kind of stuff from "I was a real engineer on this project" type threads.

Or just give this thread a low star rating because you feel insulted by it, it really doesn't affect me. I'd like to see this place maintain some level of worth and credence after having slid so far from what it once was but maybe I'm alone in that.

No one is denying the artistic aspect of going with fake instruments. But as much as a bedroom warrior I kind of am, I know my limits and I would love to have a place here every single thread would be full of interesting questions and answers. I am tired of s2.0 + trillian + podXT mixes because they teach me nothing, and I do own some toontrack products. I just consider them more of a preprod tool than anything else.
Jeff is right in that mixing trillian and my ezdrummer is not the same as mixing a real recording. And I know it because when I try a real recording mixing I struggle much more obviously. And I also learn a bit more.

Just as an example, you don't even need to mix the AS ezdrummer kit. If you have to process it heavily you are doing something wrong because they are already processed and they are good to go, almost. This is not interesting as a learning experience at all, it is a great tool but not worth talking too much about IMO. If someone achieves the same sound from a raw kit, I'd love to hear more about this one.

What's the best way to get this sort of thing up and running? PM a link to this thread to Lasse or Metal Ages?

It's seriously sad, the rate my mix forum used to be my favorite section to check in on. Now it's just incredibly mundane and redundant.

I think he can do that but I guess he would need to be sure about this and that it would serve the forum for the best, what is your call on that Lasse ?

I would love to enjoy this forum again but I haven't in the last 2 years. Would be cool to be able to post mixes for "top cunts" :p to critique tear apart. Over the last year I just show my mixes to a few dudes on facebook who I fully trust and trust their opinions.