Canadian Election 08

Another minority government will be total shit.

I majored in History and took a minor in English. (very unique I know)So the only buildings I ever used were the DAWB and the Arts building pretty much.
Right now I am in London England living the dream. Attempting to get hired to teach English as a Second Language. Doing some temp stuff now.
What are you taking at Laruier Death Aflame?

I am taking a Combined Honours Film Studies and Communication Studies degree. It's a good program (surprisingly, especially considering the small size of the FS faculty) though like most liberal arts education I doubt the content of the courses will help me much in securing a decent job going forward. Generally, I have great marks, but GPA probably has little impact in the 'real world'.

I have a feeling that the Conservatives will increase their minority but not get a majority. If anything good comes out of it hopefully it will be either Dion figuring out how to appeal to people better or the Liberals will find someone else who can.

I would prefer that the Liberals fade from importance and the NDP step up to fulfill that role (though I doubt this will happen).

Also, does anyone know anything specific about the Greens platform and how viable it is? They seem to be getting a lot of support and I am still pretty ignorant of what exactly makes them a distinctly important party.

Yeah, especially since the liberals are kinda stealing their thunder with the whole green shift plan.

Which has kind of backfired, as far as I can tell. Again, I haven't been paying too much attention.

My interest in politics has waned considerably since democracies such as Canada's (though moreso in the US) are in such a shitty state of disrepair that no matter who holds the power, little will change. Corporations and the economical elite will continue to grow in power and influence forcing us into (if we are not already) another age of feudalism, only made clandestine through hegemonic control.

I will still vote of course, if only as a futile attempt to *not* vote for other, clashing ideologies.

Seems like everyone i talk to hates Harper. Whats with the commercial about him being a family man? He should just come out and say "I'm a corporate ass sucking monkey who will attempt to suck his own Wang for a nickle". He has the most fake smile i have ever seen on a politician. He is always up to something no good. The NDP's Layton seems like he is attacking bad policies and usually just comes forward with a basic plan. Not something you hear from the typical Harper speech.

So Harper wins a stronger minority as expected. NDP and Conservatives split the losses of the Liberals. I'm not surprised one bit. Hopefully this government isn't too bad and the Liberals start getting their act together.

So Harper wins a stronger minority as expected. NDP and Conservatives split the losses of the Liberals. I'm not surprised one bit. Hopefully this government isn't too bad and the Liberals start getting their act together.

I guess down in New-Brunswick, in Moncton I believe for NDP had something like 7000+ votes. Which is really good, because I believe Mr. Leighton should run things. Just to see how it would turn out.

Yes, Canadians can be quite predictable.
I am disappointed but not surprised, especially disappointed with the low voter turn out. I don't think Canadians were really ready for another election. Didn't prove much in my eyes.