Canadian Independent Metal Band Survival Experiment #1: A "Fan Club"?

David Gold

Son of the Darkest Blues
Feb 20, 2004
No hometown, Ontario.
www.woodsofypres.ca
The question is, have you or would you ever join a band's "Fan Club"?

For example, a $20 annual 'membership' gets you exclusive promo stuff in the mail direct from the band four times a year and special offers, etc... while you help to support the band to do their thing with the help of a little more income, of course, which is in fact the primary purpose.

WOODS OF YPRES is still 100%, and to be honest, I'd rather keep it that way. IMO, I believe it keeps what we do, real and pure, deep and true.

I think Metallica has/had a pretty big fan club... I don't even know, do Type O Negative, Crowbar or Katatonia offer such things? I know at least 2/3 of them used to... If they do, I should sign up, see what I get and call it competitor research. I am a big enough 'fan' of all three of those bands to justify my joining.

btw - Only YOU should ever be able to call yourself a fan. If WOODS OF YPRES were ever to try such a thing, at worst, it would be called a 'Supporter's Club', or something, but hopefully somehow better.

For those of you who don't know, we once experimented with a "Woods Free Mailout". We took addresses and sent out approx 60 envelopes the first mailing, all containing a fall 'newsletter' and a guitar string used on the recording of "Woods 3". The next mailout had been delayed while we waited on relevant news + stickers and other promo items to be designed and delivered...long story short, we were soon up over 300 addresses, and we simply couldn't justify the expense when we had so many other 'band' bills to be paying. I've spent a lot of money on promoting the band in the last 6 years where we basically gave stuff away for free, but I think we've come to a point where we just can't do that anymore, to be fair to everyone. So, this is my suggestion and recommendation.

It has been a long time that I've been considering something like this. I would indeed like to try it out for the four seasons of 2009. There's certainly lots of activity in our camp, lots to talk about and lots to get excited about.

$20 would get your four seasonal mailouts: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...leading us into Spring 2010 for "Woods 4: The Green Album". We would of course, do our damndest to make it worthwhile for you all.

Your thoughts please, thank you!

David Gold. - \w/ :kickass:

If Woods were to make one I would support you Guys.
Best of luck on the new album, can't wait to see how your gonna top off the last one.

By the way you guys were amazing at noctis, you sould deffinitly come back to Calgary.

I would pay out the 20$ if I, along with who ever else did, got a month´s head start on the 'Woods 3LP wood edition', which DG has been talking about!

Sign me up! Maybe exclusive web content as well for members , get the new cd a week before anyone else , first crack at merch etc. Speaking of merch, is there a list of what's currently available? Looking at my Woods III guitar string and thinking this is a good idea.

Honestly I wouldn't for any other bands than Woods or Gates, I think. I'm just really proud to support you guys, and love the music, since 1) I absolutely love the music 2) You guys are from the gigantic backyard known as Ontario, 3) I've gotten to meet you guys and you're all wicked awesome people. I also really believe that bands need all the support they can get when album sales are at all time lows, metal or not. And I smile when I look at my guitar string on my tack bored that I know was used on one of my favourite metal albums period, Woods III :kickass:. So hell yeah!