CANDLEMASS US Tour Rollcall!!!

Yeah, I recently listened to an interview with Messiah and Leif, from the bonus disc for the NIGHTFALL remaster.

I guess the video was shot over two days.
One of the days was an obvious snowstorm.
The night before the video shoot, Messiah went to the local HARD ROCK CAFE, where supposedly a lot of Swedish metalheads hung out, and asked them to show up to the shoot.

Anyone who thinks this video sucks has never seen a RHAPSODY video!!! :lol:

Ok here comes the mighty Rhapsody!!!

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=nPfPVDrWyk4[/ame]

I have the boxset version of POWER OF THE DRAGONFLAME, and the bonus DVD has all the Rhapsody videos recorded up to that time.....

Those vids blow.......HARD!

I have the boxset version of POWER OF THE DRAGONFLAME, and the bonus DVD has all the Rhapsody videos recorded up to that time.....

Those vids blow.......HARD!

Yeah I got that box set as well it's awesome. Do you have their double disc DVD that came out about two years ago? It's got live shows, making of documentaries, and some funny shit on there.

My band will be opening for Candlemass on June 3rd in Phoenix, AZ. It will be pretty darn sweet. I actually haven't heard their new album, so not sure how much I'm going to dig them without Messiah.

Don't worry, Rob Lowe has an equally amazing (if not better) voice .

Yeah I got that box set as well it's awesome. Do you have their double disc DVD that came out about two years ago? It's got live shows, making of documentaries, and some funny shit on there.

No, I never picked that up.
I have a 30 min sampler of that, as a bonus DVD that came with their LIVE IN CANADA CD.

Are Rhapsody (of Fire) even active anymore?

So, what did you guys think of the Candlemass gig on Saturday?
The band itself played great, except for Leif almost breaking his neck tumbling over the monitors!
Lowe is a great performer, though after a while, seeing him flip the pages of the lyric book by the monitors got old.
The first half of every song, Rob started down at the vocals.
I guess I expected by now after being an official member for a little over a year that he would have the lyrics memorized.
By no means am I saying that being a vocalist and learning someone else's lyrics is an easy task.
Though many bands get replacement vocalists last minute for shows and tours, and that person learns the catalog quickly.

Anyhow, still a very enjoyable performance and great setlist.

I don't know what it was, but Daylight Dies didn't do it for me this time.
I really enjoyed them when I saw them opening for Katatonia and Moonspell.
Maybe I was just too hyped for Candlemass.

It was great seeing a lot of forum members.

Larry - I saw you from a distance, and I think I saw Joe there too.
Sorry I didn't get the chance to come up and say hello.

I am very curious to hear what you guys who went to the show thought.

It's funny because my thoughts seem to be the opposite of everyone else here.

I thought Daylight Dies were excellent. They're friends of ours and I've always supported them but this is the first time where I was really blown away by them. I think alot of people got a vibe from them that night though, because some friends of mine were also saying that they felt like DD seemed "unhappy" and "uninspired" during their set. Honestly I think the guys were just a bit tired, touring the States in cramped conditions and so-so turnouts can really wear you down and I think people need to understand that. Personally I thought they were excellent, they looked good and they were tight. And I love the new material. So I give Daylight Dies the big thumbs up, they really impressed me.

Candlemass.......I still haven't quite made up my mind about. Do I like Rob? Yes, I enjoy his voice, and I like Solitude Aeturnus quite a bit. And frankly, I can't really think of a better person to fill the vocal slot for Candlemass than him. But there was a certain quality to Messiah's vocals and not to mention his stage presence (which, yes, was quite goofy at times but I feel like it was a good thing) that's just missing now. The band itself sounded great and I spent most of my time focused on Lars' guitar playing, as he's by far my favorite element of that band and a big influence on me. I did enjoy them, but did I enjoy it as much as when I saw them with Messiah years back? No I really didn't. I still support the hell out of them and they're still a great band but it isn't the same for me now. I can say that I definitely liked hearing them do the new material that was more suited for Rob, those songs were pretty awesome live. I guess at this rate, I'd rather hear them just do their newer material.

I do think, though, that people who never liked Messiah's voice and presence, will probably be quite pleased.

I think Rob is a perfect fit vocally for Candlemss.
I really do.
King of the Grey Islands is a great album.

I just expected him to have the lyrics down flawlessly, after being in the band for over a year now. Furthermore, it's not like he is performing songs he has never heard before or anything. Seeing him kneel down to flip pages between songs was a bit disappointing to see.

just expected him to have the lyrics down flawlessly, after being in the band for over a year now. Furthermore, it's not like he is performing songs he has never heard before or anything. Seeing him kneel down to flip pages between songs was a bit disappointing to see.

I was going to leave this one alone when you first said it, but now that you mentioned it twice, I've got to jump in...

You know, I have trouble remembering my OWN lyrics, that I wrote myself. After writing somewhere near 100 songs in my entire music career, day to day life, side projects, mass vicodin, and so on, my memory is not like it used to be when I was in my 20's. I too use "cheat sheets" on stage, as does a lot of performers. Cut the guy some slack. He's in another full time band, and trying to memorize someone else's lyrics is difficult as well. Wouldn't you rather hear the song with all the correct words in it, and deal with seeing him turn a page in between songs, then fuck up all the words all night long?

Expecting him to have all the lyrics down "flawlessly" just because he's been in the band for a year is harsh. How often does a year go by, and it was such a busy year, you look back and can't believe how fast it went by and all things you told yourself you would get done, and just didn't have the time? I'm sure the guy has a life to attend to, and Candlemass and Solitude both take a back seat to family and home.

Sorry brother, you struck a nerve. hahaha

That's fine. Point well taken.
No need for anyone to hold back contesting this, as I posted it to see what you guys all thought/think of this.

I think I said before, it's a hard job remembering lyrics.

Overall, Rob did a great job. He is an entertaining frontman, and interacted well with the crowd.

I guess I was a bit surprised considering how much exposure the whole "Rob replaces Messiah" situation received in the past year, and the fact this wasn't just a one off gig but part of a full North American tour.

I still enjoyed the performance a great deal. I am very happy they were able to elicit Rob into the band and have the ability to do a full US tour.

BTW - Does anyone know the previous times that Candlemass has played Chicago? I recall many years ago a friend of mine going to see them at the Thirsty Whale. This was when I was a close minded teenager who only listened to thrash, etc, so never gave C-Mass a chance....

So, what did you guys think of the Candlemass gig on Saturday?

I thought they were awesome. The setlist was great, hearing At the Gallows End alone was worth the trip. Having Rob Lowe using a lyric sheet didn't bug me that much because he was also doing so much in terms of interacting with the crowd. I guess it's like plot holes in a movie - when the movie otherwise stinks, those plot holes really stick out. But when the movie is otherwise a lot of fun, you can overlook plot holes. Rob was a riot. "This song is called Wings of Steel!" :lol:

Daylight Dies was a mixed bag for me. I was really impressed by their first song, and throughout their set, if I considered any one song on its own, I'd like it. But after 4 or 5 of them, it started to get same-y. If that makes sense. Their CD would be one that would work much better for me on random play amongst 4 other CDs rather than all by itself.

Urn - were they playing music? I was too busy watching the keyboard player sway back and forth that I didn't notice :)

Rain was fun, those young-uns had some chops! And they pulled out a Swano cover, I don't know how much of the rest were covers vs. their own stuff.

Stone Face Nation ... a bar band in the wrong setting.

The worst part of the whole night was going over after the show to the Colisseum to buy tickets for Nightwish this Saturday. They had an 80's rock cover band called "Slippery When Wet" playing, and I had to listen to them while getting the tix. And so the whole drive home, rather than having great songs like Emperor of the Void going through my head, I had friggin Unskinny Bop going through my head. Agony!!!

Ken