CANDLEMASS US Tour Rollcall!!!

Urn - were they playing music? I was too busy watching the keyboard player sway back and forth that I didn't notice :)

Rain was fun, those young-uns had some chops! And they pulled out a Swano cover, I don't know how much of the rest were covers vs. their own stuff.

Each time I see URN, I want to like them, but by the end of their set I am rather "meh" about them. Seems like they have a lot of the right elements, though the end product does not deliver for some reason.

Rain were very impressive for a group of young guys.
They played VERY well. With some more live experience, they could be a force to be reckoned with. For example, don't introduce your song this way, (Umm, er,, here's a song we wrote two days ago. I don't think we have a name for it yet though...). :)

Those kids in that Rain band could play pretty well, but it was obvious that they lack stage experience. At that age, that's pretty much to be expected really. They need to loosen up and probably play a few more smaller gigs before they're really ready to play a stage like Pearl Room, but I'm sure they were pretty stoked to be doing that, so good for them.

As for having to endure that cover band in Colosseum, well, I play in a cover band not too different from that, unfortunately that's the way guys like me can make money by playing my guitar. Because we sure as fuck aren't making any money by writing/playing death metal! The sad truth is that most bars and partrons want to pay to hear that radio rock stuff. And honestly, I enjoy doing it, it can be fun at times.

As for having to endure that cover band in Colosseum, well, I play in a cover band not too different from that, unfortunately that's the way guys like me can make money by playing my guitar. Because we sure as fuck aren't making any money by writing/playing death metal! The sad truth is that most bars and partrons want to pay to hear that radio rock stuff. And honestly, I enjoy doing it, it can be fun at times.

Larry, let me know when you play in this neighborhood again!

My point wasn't that cover bands are bad. In fact, this one sounded really good playing Unskinny Bop! But having just come out of a Candlemass gig, that was a bit like falling down into the snow after a good bout of outdoor-hot-tub-sex. Shocking, unexpected, and with long lingering effects :)

Ken

Haha yeah I understand what you mean. Sometimes it can be a fun shock to the system though, like when everyone got drunk and was hanging out at the Colosseum watching that KISS tribute band after Katatonia played at the Pearl Room. The Kata-guys were loving it haha

Where the heck is this Coliseum I hear about???

Around the corner (east) of the same building as Pearl Room. Actually a very nice looking bar with a good stage area. Owned by the same folks. It's where you can go when you're at the Pearl Room to buy tix for upcoming shows and save extra fees or will-call hassles. There's a closed circuit TV at the bar showing the Pearl Room stage, so that if the PR ever gets smart and allows in/outs, you can do drink in peace during an awful band and know exactly when they're done.

Ken

swano cover? which song?

also, is it that much harder to memorize lyrics than it is to memorize, say, a complex song on guitar? this is an honest question, i have never had to sing on stage... people wouldn't let me anyway, thank god :D

I think they can both be equally challenging. I do feel though, you can get away with more "mistakes" on a guitar then you can lyrics. Most people in the audience won't know if you're not playing the song 100% correctly on guitar, as long as it sounds like the song, but most fans of the song your playing will know the lyrics, and know instantly when you fuck up.

swano cover? which song?

Something from Moontower. According to Britt (The Invisible Guest on UM), it was Moontower itself. I don't know the songs well enough to identify them individually, but once he pointed that out, I did recognize it as something from that disc.

I do feel though, you can get away with more "mistakes" on a guitar then you can lyrics. Most people in the audience won't know if you're not playing the song 100% correctly on guitar, as long as it sounds like the song

This is why I want to play bass. In concert settings, it's unusual to be able to distinguish actual notes played on the bass - it becomes more like a percussion instrument. So I'd strip my bass down to one string, and just play that one string open the whole time. No one could tell, and I'd be able to concentrate on the rythym. :) I always feel bad for bass players up there, working their fingers furiously all over the strings, and all I can hear is "thud thud thud thud". This is why when a band has really good sound and I can actually differentiate the notes being played, it's a superb experience.

Ken

Hey Ken!!! Some of us on here PLAY bass you know!!!! :bah:

Tom Araya has been getting away with incorrectly playing his bass lines live for MANY years!! (So maybe you are onto something).

Paul makes a great point though about lyrics.
While I know visually it seemed strange to me to see Lowe flip through the lyric book, it would have been worse if he stood there forgetting lyrics infront of the crowd.

I don't know how you do it, Paul, remembering all those lyrics, I haven't performed in a while, but when I used to play guitar and sing at the same time, I'd sometimes TOTALLY space the lyrics, and just kind of sit there with an "OH SHIT" look on my face. It's actually quite terrifying :p

Maybe that's why he had a cheat sheet...he knows that terrified feeling all too well...?

I don't know how you do it, Paul, remembering all those lyrics, I haven't performed in a while, but when I used to play guitar and sing at the same time, I'd sometimes TOTALLY space the lyrics, and just kind of sit there with an "OH SHIT" look on my face. It's actually quite terrifying :p

Maybe that's why he had a cheat sheet...he knows that terrified feeling all too well...?

Since Novella, I use a cheat sheet. It's next to my set list on the monitors. I don't have full songs, i have "reminders" on the sheet, and only for the songs I know I have trouble with. Song's we don't play all the time, or songs that easily confuse me as for certain verses in order. For example, a song like The Voice of Failure I will have this on my sheet...

The Voice of Failure
1) I struggle... In the same moment... Born to suffer... come with me now
2) A deeper hunger... We’re bound... Fingers running... the beauty of...
3) Time heals... The undertow... I’ve been searching... Dusk is falling...

All I have to do is glance down when I need it, and I know where I am in the song, and what line begins. I have a HORRIBLE memory, but if I didn't tell you this, or if you didn't see the sheet, you would never know.

Thomas of Saturnus gets so nervous before he plays, he draws complete blanks on the lyrics. He has every song printed out on huge 11 x 17 sheets of paper (because he can't see the small type) but his performances are flawless. He uses it when he needs it.

For me, the cheat sheet is also a security device. It allows me to relax a bit more on stage, knowing If I draw a blank, I have a back up. I think you guys would be surprised at how many people do something like this. Not all of us can afford teleprompters Ozzy style! hahaha

And you do it pretty well, I always thought it was cool. In my opinion it gives some poetry. We feel the words better, well its my opinion.

Paul - You never cease to amaze me!!
Thanks for being so honest about everything related to Novembers Doom, including your use of the lyric sheet on stage. As a fan, I sincerely appreciate how open and honest you are about your lyrics, performing live, etc, etc....

I have seen you guys about 4 or 5 times, always up close, and never noticed your use of lyrics on stage. You certainly don't make it obvious.

Yeah, it was pretty obvious at Powerfest that Saturnus were using them on stage, as he was looking straight down the whole time.

I think maybe this is the issue I had with Lowe using the sheets. Not really the fact he had to use them, but moreso the fact that it wasn't really concealed too well. It was very obvious.

Anyhow, thanks for your insight on the use of lyric sheets on stage.

something from moontower... hmm that would be cool to see. i would have like being there :) there is no song named moontower though.

lyrics sheet... hmm. i guess if you do doom metal it looks cool to look down to the stage anyway, i've seen paul do that. i don't mind. i like solemn performances for bands like this anyway. couldn't imagine it for more of a show band. queen with a lyrics sheet? don't think so. then again if he would forget lyrics he just let a stadium full of people do the singing until he caught on again, hehe.

i know as a bass player, when i need to get songs down i practice them until the order of the verses etc. becomes a no-brainer. when you practice as a singer, do you practice on your technique or also do endless repetitions of songs to the point of boredom until you get them down, like most instrumentalists would (or should...)?

Since Novella, I use a cheat sheet. It's next to my set list on the monitors. I don't have full songs, i have "reminders" on the sheet, and only for the songs I know I have trouble with. Song's we don't play all the time, or songs that easily confuse me as for certain verses in order. For example, a song like The Voice of Failure I will have this on my sheet...

The Voice of Failure
1) I struggle... In the same moment... Born to suffer... come with me now
2) A deeper hunger... We’re bound... Fingers running... the beauty of...
3) Time heals... The undertow... I’ve been searching... Dusk is falling...

All I have to do is glance down when I need it, and I know where I am in the song, and what line begins. I have a HORRIBLE memory, but if I didn't tell you this, or if you didn't see the sheet, you would never know.

Thomas of Saturnus gets so nervous before he plays, he draws complete blanks on the lyrics. He has every song printed out on huge 11 x 17 sheets of paper (because he can't see the small type) but his performances are flawless. He uses it when he needs it.

For me, the cheat sheet is also a security device. It allows me to relax a bit more on stage, knowing If I draw a blank, I have a back up. I think you guys would be surprised at how many people do something like this. Not all of us can afford teleprompters Ozzy style! hahaha

Yea, I used to have trouble keeping the verses in the right order as well. Thanks for sharing that with us. I wondered if maybe you did something like that. I was just at a Prog Nation show last week (Opeth was fucking awesome!!! :headbang:), and I noticed both BTBAM and Opeth had what appeared to be cheat sheets taped to the floor near their "spot". I would definitely have to do this if I was in their position, as my memory is horrible as well! Shit, that's what happens when you get old :lol:

Paul - You never cease to amaze me!!
Thanks for being so honest about everything related to Novembers Doom, including your use of the lyric sheet on stage. As a fan, I sincerely appreciate how open and honest you are about your lyrics, performing live, etc, etc....

I agree 100%. I didn't discover the greatness that is ND until the release of "Pale". I stumbled upon the forum via the website about a year ago and haven't posted until recently but have read on a regular basis. But the thing that stands out to me how cool and down to earth they are when answering questions and just being part of discussions. No rock star attitudes at all.

I'll be one of the first in line when they line-up a Chicago area date.

I agree 100%. I didn't discover the greatness that is ND until the release of "Pale". I stumbled upon the forum via the website about a year ago and haven't posted until recently but have read on a regular basis. But the thing that stands out to me how cool and down to earth they are when answering questions and just being part of discussions. No rock star attitudes at all.

I'll be one of the first in line when they line-up a Chicago area date.

Thanks for finally posting!

We're playing Chicago (Mokena actually) With Sigh and Zimmers Hole in September, so make sure you check it out!