CANDLEMASS US Tour Rollcall!!!

Well, we had our show with Candlemass yesterday. Such a poor turnout. There were MAYBE 60 people there at the height of the evening, and Fall of Empyrean personally sold 20 of those. People just have no appreciation of metal in this country. The show itself was fine, except there was no energy at all in the venue.

Well, we had our show with Candlemass yesterday. Such a poor turnout. There were MAYBE 60 people there at the height of the evening, and Fall of Empyrean personally sold 20 of those. People just have no appreciation of metal in this country. The show itself was fine, except there was no energy at all in the venue.

That does suck. People have little exposure to "doom" in this country. It's a niche market, and not a large fan base. It's honestly doing what I expected it to do, and it's a reason why we pass on strictly a "doom" tour. If it were 1990, this tour would have packed the house, but the fan base of that time has gotten older, and either fallen away from the scene, or pre occupied with their family lives to even know a show like this is happening.

The young generation of Metal fans today want something different. We made the change to a more aggressive style, and increased the tempo of our music, and it turned us around from selling 2000 CD's, to 5 to 10 times that amount, without comprising our integrity.

That is a shame.
In my opinion, whoever promoted this tour needed to hook up Candlemass with another co-headliner. C-Mass hasn't been here in a very long time. I am sure there are many old school fans who had no clue this tour was even taking place. Let's say for example C-Mass co-headlined with a band like TROUBLE or CATHEDRAL, it may have helped bring in some extra folks who were on the fence about going, and would have given the tour more exposure.

I agree, I think if another strong band had been on the bill with Candlemass and Daylight Dies, it might've done better. But even so, I think with gas prices and just the general costs of everything going up now, people are being more sparing and choosy about what shows they're going to these days. There's actually several shows coming around in the next few months that I'd like to see, but I just can't afford all of them. Especially when you consider shit like a House Of Blues show....ticket on average is like $25 or more, then parking is another $20, gas, tolls, and drinks all add up to quite a bit. Just going to one show like that can be pretty costly these days.

A band like Candlemass doesn't have much of a young fanbase in the U.S., either, like Paul was saying. Getting that 15-24 year old turnout is crucial to a metal tour's success these days. If it had been a tour like Candlemass and Opeth, of course the turnout would've been great, plus it would've exposed C-mass to a new crowd who'd never heard them before. I'm sure many kids here only know them as "the band whose t-shirt Mike Ackerfeldt wears all the time", lol.

it's quite weird to see you guys talking about high gas prices here. people are talking about high gas price in our country, too. taxes make up for about 63% of the total gas prices. a liter of gasoline costs 1.55 euros now. that's 2.4 USD. a gallon in chicago is now 4.019 USD? that's 2.60 euros, for 3.79 litres. a liter of gas costs 0.68 euros. our gas is 2.25 times more expensive! and still you get a better turnout here? :)

didn't some US politician set the bar for car fuel consumption targets to be the average what we have here now, but he wanted to reach it in the US in 15 years or something? that's pretty steep, haha.

I've discussed this before on here but I'll restate it again since it's come up again.....

I realise that gas is technically more expensive out there than here in the U.S. But there's alot of other factors too which make our situation here pretty dire. Health care costs a fortune here, good-paying jobs are not easily found these days, and in terms of gasoline, this is a huge country and things tend to be pretty spread out. We don't have very safe and reliable public transportation here in Chicago, so driving is usually the only option. I mean, just for me to drive to our bassist Chris' house, it takes about the same amount of time it would to go from the Biebob to Het Kasteel, if you understand what I'm saying. You guys are paying alot for gas over there but I am pretty sure that you guys also get some breaks in other areas which we do not. I'd say right now, we're probably both in similar predicaments in terms of gas costs being a pain. But there's just too many other factors invovled that differ between living here and living in the Netherlands that you have to factor in when estimating how much these gas hikes really hurt.

I mean, if you work making like $7 an hour (as many people sadly do), and gas winds up costing you like $5 or more a gallon, that's not leaving much money to survive on, especially when the government doesn't take care of your health care and such.

And honestly, riding your bicycle everywhere in my area would NOT be an option, not unless you wanna get mugged or run over, lol.

That is a shame.
In my opinion, whoever promoted this tour needed to hook up Candlemass with another co-headliner. C-Mass hasn't been here in a very long time. I am sure there are many old school fans who had no clue this tour was even taking place. Let's say for example C-Mass co-headlined with a band like TROUBLE or CATHEDRAL, it may have helped bring in some extra folks who were on the fence about going, and would have given the tour more exposure.

I think we're biased because we like these bands, and for us, a Cathedral, Trouble, and Candlemass tour would be awesome, but seriously, it wouldn't do THAT much better then the current tour. Like I said, in the US, this style of music is a niche, that not even a niche all the metal heads like. it's just not popular enough, and no matter how much us fans THINK these shows should draw huge, the sad reality is, the don't. There's not enough of a fan base for it for a full tour. A show like this might be better if you create one incredible festival containing all these bands. People might travel for it. Collectively, there's a good crowd in the US for it, but spread out across the country? Nope. It's just not there.

So as a result, you get disappointed fans who go to the show and see a lame turnout, and you get disappointed bands, who play for small crowds, and get turned off to touring here again. It's an argument we've had with people for years, when we turn down tours that are offered to us.

Personally, I don't have to get bit by a dog to know it's going to hurt. And to me, going out on the road with a package I know won't draw, even if I think the bands are all AMAZING, and I'm a huge fan of, just to be miserable at the turn out night after night, doesn't make sense.

When we tour the US (and we WILL tour this January) it is with a band you wouldn't necessarily think we would tour with. In my opinion though the possibilities of a stronger draw is greater, with the bands are different from one another, and all the bands get a chance to expose their music to different crowds and gain new fans. That to me is the point of touring.

I think we're biased because we like these bands, and for us, a Cathedral, Trouble, and Candlemass tour would be awesome, but seriously, it wouldn't do THAT much better then the current tour.

You are probably right.
I certainly wasn't thinking adding a similar band, in terms of history and fan base, would bring in an extra 200 a night, but maybe 50 for sure (Though I guess that might not help offset the other co-headliners guarantee). Just thought the combo of a band like C-Mass and one of those I mentioned would help those who were on the fence about going.

Probably a band like Municipal Waste, Warbringer, etc would have helped the draw, as they would bring in the more energetic younger crowd.

I admit to being an older cat who primarily only goes to select shows to see bands I like.

Very excited to hear about the January US tour!

I've discussed this before on here but I'll restate it again since it's come up again.....

I realise that gas is technically more expensive out there than here in the U.S. But there's alot of other factors too which make our situation here pretty dire. Health care costs a fortune here, good-paying jobs are not easily found these days, and in terms of gasoline, this is a huge country and things tend to be pretty spread out. We don't have very safe and reliable public transportation here in Chicago, so driving is usually the only option. I mean, just for me to drive to our bassist Chris' house, it takes about the same amount of time it would to go from the Biebob to Het Kasteel, if you understand what I'm saying. You guys are paying alot for gas over there but I am pretty sure that you guys also get some breaks in other areas which we do not. I'd say right now, we're probably both in similar predicaments in terms of gas costs being a pain. But there's just too many other factors invovled that differ between living here and living in the Netherlands that you have to factor in when estimating how much these gas hikes really hurt.

of course you are very right. if you truly want to compare these things you need to make elaborate economical analyses based on purcasing power etc.

we had an american painter who lives here now record some samples for ourd cd, and it was supposed to be kind of an ominous newsread, you know? he said he'd try to do it like an american newsreader, who just wants to scary you with the news all the time. we went on to discuss the situation in the US, and how his friends there viewed his situation here, on how much he was living etc. he told how it was very common for people in the US to drive over a 100 miles to work back and forth every day. most people here are not that nuts, we don't commute as much i suppose.

i heard SUV cars are getting less popular here, because people don't want to hurt the environment. however, there is actually an incline in sales because the US are actually dumping american SUV's here because nobody over there wants them anymore! pretty weird market dynamics, haha.

l_ece1545bb3acff567ad2d660818d3db0.gif

ok, need some help. Since the latest Candlemass has made it back to regular rotation in the cd player, I've decided I need to check out Rob's other band Solitude Aeturnus. Can anyone recommend where to start?

:headbang: