Can't get rid of this weird sound?

Brent Holder

Separating Body From Head
Aug 27, 2013
So I was trying a practice mix and it was coming along good (as far as I can tell) but when I started messing with the guitars I heard this weird sound when listening to the DI and once I add an amp sim to it it got even worse (though I expected that) so I tried using a noise gate on it to the best of my newbie ability, and cant seem to get it away. I tried a noise gate and a noise reduction in Guitar Rig 5 and tried the Noise gate in Reaper and cant seem to get it to go away (and if I do the guitar pretty much goes with it) I even tried to see if I could like EQ it out... but that didn't happen. And since it was a practice song from the forums so I cant re-record it.

Sorry if this is a really newbie question but I feel like I've exhausted all my options that I know of. :erk:

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/First.wav?w=AABjvpxC_tAeVSU2zkrk12L7TUNQOCbU91F-9xqrpaI5kg

Here's the clip, that's not the tone I plan to use I just slapped some distortion so you guys could hear it with distortion. I hope I used Dropbox right.

Which practice song was it? Your link doesn't work.

If you are mixing live recordings you are probably going to need to mix louder than you would normally to keep the noise drowned out. If that's what you are hearing. Gates can't remove the noise, only silence it when the part is not being played.

Other than that if there is a problem with the DI i'd move on to another practice mix.

If you read the comments on that thread you should see a lot of people talking about it, and the original poster said it was just string noise that can be cleaned up with a gate.

If you read the comments on that thread you should see a lot of people talking about it, and the original poster said it was just string noise that can be cleaned up with a gate.

Oh man... I'm so sorry haha I never looked on the second page. My mistake man thanks for pointing that out, now I don't feel so bad about the noise.