Caparison pickups - clip

Mark_Palangio

On The Fields Of Life
Jul 12, 2005
Greensburg, PA
http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=5122

Caparison Apple Horn Aurora (Caparison PH-R in the bridge)
Peavey 5150
Bogner 412 w/V30's
Maxon OD808
2 Shure SM57's
Digidesign Mbox 2

Old clip, just figured I would post it here. I've heard some people say Caparison pickups aren't good for metal, that they don't have enough output. I think they sound killer for metal, the PH-R is one of the best pickups I've ever played. :headbang:

seems kind of fizzy, hollow and lacking body...

the PUP maybe sound great but I'm not sure this clip is the best of examples.

Mark_Palangio said:
No, it's double tracked.

Either your takes are ungodly tight, or you've panned both of them center, because there's no stereo action on my end here.

Apart from that, I think the tone is good. You'd take all those shitty mids out of a full mix anyway, and they're not even in your tone right now, so you're starting off on the right foot. Would be interested to hear it with some drums and bass.

Moonlapse said:
Either your takes are ungodly tight, or you've panned both of them center, because there's no stereo action on my end here.

+1 and LMAO!
I like where you're going with your tone. In a wierd way, I've been gonig for that Arch Enemy tone too, though without the 5150 :loco:
To me it just sounds like you need a slight bit of work on the recording/ mic placement, mainly to get some more workable mids and to cut that really harsh highend.

Hmm, maybe I did forget to export it as a stereo file in Pro Tools? It sounds right when I listen to it though. :err:

For whoever asked about the OD808 settings, the overdrive was on 0, volume on 10, and tone on 2.