Carcass - Heartwork

The Grimace

New Metal Member
Oct 21, 2004
North of the Valley, South of the Hills
I just, like 4 seconds ago, after listening to it for the second time in a row, have decided that Heartwork by Carcass is, speaking from a purely compositional position, the greatest riff album I've ever heard. Every single riff, and every beat, solo, and vocal line on the entire album is perfect. There's no filler anywhere. I hate fucking guitar solos, but I love every solo on this album. Greatest melodic death metal album ever. Greatest death/thrash album ever. More influencial than anyone even realizes, I think, some of this stuff was revolutionary. And that one weird little harmony riff in "Arbeit Macht Fleisch", the one they only do like twice for 2 seconds, is the coolest sounding thing I have ever heard.

I love Carcass. :headbang:

I agree about the album being extremely influencial. Killswitch Engage stole a few riffs, and metalcore in general seems highly derivative of this album. I've heard about 10 other bands do the intro to the album. I think to say that it's great from start to finish is a bit of a stretch. It starts to get a little boring around track 7 or 8. The soloing is great, as stated before.

MasterOLightning said:
I agree about the album being extremely influencial. Killswitch Engage stole a few riffs, and metalcore in general seems highly derivative of this album.

Maybe that explains why I hate the shit out of it.

The album is pure fucking genius. One of only two extreme metal albums I would call a masterpiece. Been listening to it since it came out, still fresh all these years later.

That album really deserves a lot of credit. It was one of the first death metal albums I ever heard and it's still one of my favorites. A death metal album so infectious that you can't help but hum in class or at work? The concept doesn't make sense, but when you put it on you have to headbang. So many awesome hooks.

One Inch Man: Number one - David Bowie is brilliant and godlike. Two - What's the other album?

MasterOLightning said:
Killswitch Engage stole a few riffs, and metalcore in general seems highly derivative of this album.

That's exactly why I say it's so influencial... whether you love metalcore or are an idiot, everyone has to admit that it's one of about 5 or 6 albums from around that time (Destroy Erase Improve by Meshuggah, Demanufacture by Fear Factory, Slaughter Of The Soul, etc.) that were a decade ahead of the pack, any of which could come out today and be just as huge.

Goddammit!! :yell:

EDIT: Good to see GoD has come around again. How're things, then?

Perdition's Light said:
One Inch Man: Number one - David Bowie is brilliant and godlike. Two - What's the other album?
Yes, yes he is. :) The other album is Morbid Angel - Domination. None of the other several hundred death/black/whatever metal albums I've heard over the past 12 years are completely perfect like those two.

What is sad is that lots of kiddies that discovered extreme metal in 2002 don't give Heartwork a chance because they heard 14,000+ melodic death album prior, and don't realize how influential, original, and altogether amazing Heartwork was in 1993. Tis a shame.

One Inch Man said:
The other album is Morbid Angel - Domination. None of the other several hundred death/black/whatever metal albums I've heard over the past 12 years are completely perfect like those two.

"Quintessence" by Borknagar (Collossus!!) and "Still Life" by Opeth (The Moor AND Face Of Melinda!!), but otherwise yeah.

It is a good CD, but Necroticism is better. Heartwork is bascially Nectroticism with some melodeath thrown in. I wouldn't say it is the best riff album ever, though. That would go to Incorrigible Bigotry by Arghoslent.

Necro Joe said:
I go back and forth between it and Necroticism but it's one of my favourite albums ever.

Agreed.

Life Sucks said:
Heartwork is bascially Nectroticism with some melodeath thrown in.

Why I dig it, although Incorrigible Bigotry is definitely a contender for best riff album.