Carcass - Heartwork...

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions! I shall have my hands full for a while!

As far as Soilwork goes...yeah, their oldest two albums, Chainheart Machine and Steelbath Suicide are good albums, and at times, they are virtually indistinguishable from (older) Arch Enemy...but they seem to lack a "smoothness" factor...something that Arch Enemy has down to a science. I don't know exactly how else to put it. I guess another way to describe it is that instead of having the "smoother" sound, they have a thrashier sound, like Carnal Forge or Terror 2000. Yes, those bands maybe decent, but they definitely don't have the "smoothness" and they lack in melody.

And as far as Carcass' Swansong goes...the album is great, but it lacks the speed/aggression of Heartwork (i.e., killer blast beats, and speedy double bass).

Now, onto something else:

Thasis said:
Carcass is grindcore... not melodic death metal... get the facts straight.

I don't know if this guy is aware of this, but a band is, indeed, capable of crossing genres from album to album. Calling Heartwork "grindcore" simply because Carcass' oldest albums happened to be grindcore is like calling Amorphis' album Tuonela "Death Metal" because "Tales From the Karelian Isthmus" happened to be Death Metal. Same goes for Therion, and even Kreator. You can't possibly believe that Therion's "Of Darkness" is of the same genre as "Crowning Of Atlantis" or that Kreator's "Extreme Aggression" is of the same genre as "Endorama".

Heh...he kind of reminds me of Yahoo! Music. If you look Therion up on Yahoo! Music, it has them listed as "Death Metal"...and that description could not be more wrong/misleading for albums such as Vovin, Crowning Of Atlantis, Deggial, and Sirius B/Lemuria, which can be more accurately described as "Symphonic Power Metal".

Again...thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm going to start of with Arsis first, because someone said that it was like a more technical version of Heartwork, and then probably Entombed.

If anyone else has any more suggestions...keep'em coming!

Dodens Grav said:
I just realized this thread shouldn't exist.

Yeah, it is true, that on there is a thread for suggestions whose purpose was/is to "cut down on the number of suggestion threads", but I don't believe it said that "absolutely under no circumstances can any one make a new thread concerning suggestions, ever."

Unless, that is, I missed that one in the forum rules.