Carl Sagan Metal \m/ anyone care to mix?

First of all I suck at mixing, well more so than I do on guitar anyway, so forgive me for any unintentional aural pain I may cause you guys :oops:

Ok, I made a track around some awe inspiring Carl Sagan thoughts from the (audio)book "Pale Blue Dot". Here are the tracks with mr.Sagan and without vocals.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5072151/Bleak Dawn demo/BleakDawn_demo.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5072151/Bleak Dawn demo/BleakDawn_demo_nv.mp3

If anyone likes the message and the music enough to care to properly mix it , or do it just for practice, I'll be eternally grateful :headbang:

Just ask me anything you need and I'll dropbox it.

Drums are EzDrummer DKFH [yes I know you can tell :p]
Bass is Ampeg SVX with TSS in front
Guitars are two tracks with X30

ps. I know I'm probably stepping over some copyright lines here, but it's purely meant for private use and as a tribute...

hey radikal!

i really like the track and would love to have a go at mixing it!
just put up a file with all the DI-tracks (+drums in midi) on dropbox, and i'll let you hear my version of it.
what's the tempo for the song?
thx, and rock on!
cheers

HOLY SHIT!

Thanks so much guys! I'm at work now, I'll upload everything in a few hours!

I'll upload the bass and guitar DIs and the drums midi. The tempo is 135. Anything else?

By the way in that tremolo lead part [3:30] a proper lead/solo will also be welcome :loco: ;)

I just love this forum :headbang:

hey radikal!
finally i found some spare time to try mixing your track, and here's what i've come up with!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=998651&songID=8848830

my dropbox account doesn't work atm, so sorry for that, i'll put it up there as soon as i've repaired it.
hope you like the mix, i know most of the other members could have done a much better job, but i tried my best;-)
if you want, i can do one with vocals too!

thx, glad you like it!
for guitar i used the tsex30 (input:2 o'clock, drive: 11, bass: 1, lo-, himid, treble: 2, contour off, trafo on) -> s-preshigh -> little bit of eq (hi- and lowpass, boost at 7k, little cut at 200 hz) and slight reverb as a send-effect.
but the basssound sure adds much to the sound of the guitars!
i'll try to do a mix with vocals as soon as possible, but i'm not very good at mixing vocals, and the quality of the vocal file not beeing very good it's going to be even more difficult, but i'll have a look at it! if you have other questions, just ask!
cheers

Yeah, I know the vocal file is pretty low quality... Maybe something of a lo-fi/radio type effect would work with it. But I didn't have much luck with that.

I really dig what you did to the bass! It's very present, yet not boomy at all. It just jells with the guitars. Any hints on that? :p

Again awesome job man!

for bass i copied the DI to two tracks, one with a highpass at 100 hz and one with a lowpass at 100.
the one with the highpass i compressed lightly then boosted everything below 250 hz with an eq. after that gclip.
then i created an effect-channel with tse-x30 -> spreshigh -> gclip. drive at about 9 o'clock.
i used this as a sendeffect on the second bass DI track.
after that both bass tracks into a grouptrack with a multibandcompressor to control the lows, and an eq with boosted 58 hz.
hope that helps!
btw, i'm nearly finished with the vocal version!

DAMN!

Just awesome!

The vox just fit. Not too loud, yet clearly audible.
Did you tinker with the bass? It's even more meshugga-ish, I love it!

I got a little page just to upload some tracks, If it's ok with you, I would like to upload your version giving you mad props in the process!
Maybe you can upload a 192Kbps version on dropbox?

ps. hey if you like the other tracks... they 've got no vocals too! Hahahaha :)
ps2. Again thanks man. I can finally HEAR the song!

yeah totally, put it up:D
i'm very glad you're digging it! my dropbox account isn't working yet, so i uploaded it to mediafire!
http://www.mediafire.com/?3gd2huc4kmf
for bass i did a few level changes but nothing on top of that.
and btw, cool tracks you got up your page, if you want to have mixed something, just pm me or send me the files;-)
you're welcome, i'm very glad to hear you're enjoying it!
has someone other done a mix yet?