CD Prices - what the fuck, honestly...

i prefer to buy Cd's directly from the artists ... fuck corporate price gouging when the band get what 75cents a CD for 5 or 6 members.......when i can buy it directly from then and they get the majority of it........

Yes I think we all agree the music sales business model is pretty much fekked.

Amazon is selling mp3s for $.99 a pop. No, friends, that's just not going to work. Let me ask you this: why don't bands/record labels just sell songs on their own sites for like $.10 each? That's the only way it's going to work. You get to keep most of that. It's like $1 an album, which is fair.

By the way, angry musicians, don't argue with me. You know I'm right.

Edit: better edit this puppy before the eggs and tomatoes come: It may not be FAIR but it's the only way it will work. My humble opinion only. Though I am right.

Welcome to Finland.

New Daylight Dies: 17.90 euros = ~$24.60
New Amon Amarth digipak + bonus DVD: 19.90 euros = ~$27.35

Yeah, it's rare to find any new albums under 20 euros here. But thanks to credit cards and paypal, I usually get the records from states 50% cheaper, even when shipping is included.

And for all I know, people are way more impulsive about buying DVDs than music. Maybe more or less because DVDs are cheaper, but also because people are more commited to certain artists. When a movie is likely to be bought by almost anyone, a metal record is probably bought only by a few metalhead. Less consumers means smaller pressings with higher costs.

Another thing about commitment is that a consumer who has made the decicion to buy instead of downloading will probably do so, even if the album is expensive. And I think a majority of people who download all their music, wouldn't buy the records even if a CD would cost $0.99.

So I was at my local FYE (do they have those outside of North America?) looking at CD's today, and was very frustrated by the following contrast:

New Daylight Dies (standard plastic case, no bonus disc) - $16.99
New Amon Amarth (folded cardboard digipak w/ bonus DVD) - $11.99

WHAT THE FUCK - the latter is even a bit cheap IMO for what you get (not like I'm complaining), but how can they justify the pricing on the former? In one of the seemingly monthly anti-downloading threads awhile ago someone made the very good point that it's retarded that DVD's from tons of different eras very often can be had new for $5-$10, yet CD's almost never dip beneath $12 (except for things like Dokken, which I must admit I was tempted by today for $8 :lol: ). If people want to sell more CD's, they should figure out how the DVD companies get their prices so low and jump on that bandwagon...

And don't worry Egan, I'll be buying "Lost to the Living" soon enough, probably direct from your site ;)

Honestly, I'm stoked it was in FYE.:lol:
Everyone here is welcome to buy from us directly for $13 shipped in the US. BUY MY FUCKING RECORD.

Seriously though I think it is symptomatic of the distribution structure. Partly, the new AA is brand new and was probably bargain/bulk priced from the distributor to FYE in an attempt to maximize first month sales. So the AA gets to be a deal, but LttL is sold at MSRP which mall music stores love to charge. I guess they figure they can sell the AA on hype and the "for $12 why not?" factor and if you are looking at LTTL then you will pay whatever it costs b/c no one knows who we are. Also, often times stores (best buy in particular) will sell hot new titles at a loss just to get people in the door. DVD's generally will drop in price by 50% after 6 months but CD's just stay at a high MSRP indefinitely.
Regarding the afformentioned distribution system there is this crazy bullshit of shipping:
label--->distributor---->other distributor--->store
unsold goes store--->distributor--->other store---> distibutor--->label
There are plenty of business where you buy what you can sell but in the music biz there is this nutball cycle of back and forth shipping that ends in a lot wasted $ with UPS and a lot of damaged product b/c UPS sucks.
There are also several sets of hands held out in this system too. So maybe the label charges $8 --->distro charges $10 ---> (seconary distro??? chargees $12) ---> retail???. It seems like online retailers would have streamlined some of this but it hasn't played out that way.

Yes I think we all agree the music sales business model is pretty much fekked.

Amazon is selling mp3s for $.99 a pop. No, friends, that's just not going to work. Let me ask you this: why don't bands/record labels just sell songs on their own sites for like $.10 each? That's the only way it's going to work. You get to keep most of that. It's like $1 an album, which is fair.

By the way, angry musicians, don't argue with me. You know I'm right.

Edit: better edit this puppy before the eggs and tomatoes come: It may not be FAIR but it's the only way it will work. My humble opinion only. Though I am right.
You're a fucking toolbag. Do you have any concept of how difficult, expensive, and time-consuming it is to write and record a record? Even people recording their CD's themselves spend a lot of money on equipment and mastering, and take a lot of time writing, rehearsing, recording, and mixing their CD's. I think it makes more sense to give away MP3's, and keep CD's at $10.

You're a fucking toolbag. Do you have any concept of how difficult, expensive, and time-consuming it is to write and record a record? Even people recording their CD's themselves spend a lot of money on equipment and mastering, and take a lot of time writing, rehearsing, recording, and mixing their CD's. I think it makes more sense to give away MP3's, and keep CD's at $10.

uh oh....here we go. noob dun started.

uh oh....here we go. noob dun started.
Eh, noob on this forum yeah. I don't really feel like discussing it, I just get annoyed when people talk like they know what the fuck they're talking about when all they're really saying is "I don't value music, and I'm a cheap fucking bastard".

Good morrow to you, gents. Allow me to respectfully introduce myself: I am called by the moniker of Steve H., and I am new amongst this community of distinguished, dashing gentlemen of the metal persuasion. I wish to respectfully disagree with you, Sir Genius Gone Insane, and accuse you of woefully undervaluing the net worth of a recorded music collection, and the subsequent implicit work in said album's production. I wish to hear from you soon.

Yours in christ,

Steve H

Hey, welcome buddy! This place is great, especially when I'm in ideal imagination land :loco:

Metal CDs down here commonly retail from $25 to $30 AUD a pop.

...and you know what? There'd be *nothing* wrong with that if MOST of it were going to the artist. I think this whole $1 a song mentality ridiculously undervalues music, especially considering all the parties the money has to circulate through.

Consider: Most of the dinner places I regularly go to charge roughly between $15 to $30 for a meal. That's one moment in time, and one measly meal. To think that CDs are asking the same sort of currency is almost generous. There's so much work involved for the bands who write, rehearse, pre-produce, produce, record, press & promote their stuff. I've never understood this cheapskate 'music is too expensive' mentality. If you simply put things in perspective, you'd see that we are paying so very little for what we actually get in return.

All this applies on the principle that the bands get the largest cut of the CD. Unfortunately, it's rarely ever the case, and the only reason I'd ever refuse to buy CDs is to refuse to fund the middle men (who in the current climate should already fuck off and die).

You do realize that the reason they can price DVDs (if were talking movies and not band dvds) so cheap is because they've already made money on the movie while it was in the theaters.