Cd's that gather dust- Why and how many?

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
How many Cd's do you have that just sit around, only having been played once? WHy do you think this is, mediocre or crappy release, crappy band, just bought it becuase you heard of the band, dont know why you bought it? How many cd's of your collection sit around?

I sound like a record executive. Yet, a good 1/3 of my cds are played once, usually given an extra listen, and then are left to collect dust forever. Yet, the strange paradox is that the top 10 or 15% id estimate of my cds are played 75% of the time. Weird how one has favorites.

The only ones I haven't listened to much are the not great ones that I received just before receiving others that demanded more of my attention. I have a bad habit of buying a lot of CD's in short amounts of time. I've been trying to spot which ones in my collection fit this description and try to find some time to listen to them.

Does that make sense? That is an awkward explanation.

Also, about your comment that you listen to about 10% of your collection 75% of the time...I used to do that but more extreme. I would listen to something until I got sick of it. I realized this a while back as I was listening to Opeth almost nonstop. I made an effort to stop that so as to not ruin albums. As I think back on it now though, most I listened to before Opeth was fucking crap. Opeth marked a turning point in my listening to music. They are the first band I think I truly cannot be sick of, they mark a significant turn in the progression of my musical taste. Also, with the effort to not over listen to something, I began to search out a lot more music. They were the key to my discovering the bands and music that I will not be tired of. Little I buy now collects dust.

Eh, just a thought. :)

i try to sell off my cds that sit around and gather dust. its a means of getting new cds hehe. so i listen to alot of the cds i have. some more than others but i do try to spread it out. when i have a craving for somthing but im not sure what, i look through my book and ill see a cd and think "hm, i havnt listened to that in a while" and toss it in.
~gR~

The only cd in my collection that doesn't regularly get a thrashing is Holocausto De La Morte by Necrophagia, i bought it because i fell in love with the riff from Burning Moon Sickness, but i got the cd and after lostening to it once, i just realized that it was all pretty shit.

Cradle of Filth - Midian
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Darkthrone - Under a Funeral Moon
Emperor - Prometheus
Immolation - Failures for Gods
Therion - Deggial

I don't think I've listened to any of my CDs only once. There are some CDs I rarely listen to. Several of the CDs that I bought many years ago (but are still metal nonetheless) I don't really listen to anymore. And I don't listen to most of my hardcore CDs anymore. I have a huge collection, so there are many CDs that I only listen to once in a blue moon, but I still listen to them.

None really, I always listen to the albums several times before buying them. The only ones i've bought without listening first are Hatecrew Deathroll, Dead Heart In A Dead World and Damage Done. I got quite lucky with those :)

Cathedral - Natural Birth Machine
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime

The two worst albums I've ever heard, and I cant sell them because nobody on this godforsaken earth wants them lol

Thanatopsis123 said:
The only ones I haven't listened to much are the not great ones that I received just before receiving others that demanded more of my attention. I have a bad habit of buying a lot of CD's in short amounts of time. I've been trying to spot which ones in my collection fit this description and try to find some time to listen to them.

Yes, that makes sense. It's exactly the same here. Still, it's not as bad as buying more than one videogame at once. I hate that - one tends to get ignored.

TheDreamingMind said:
Cathedral - Natural Birth Machine
Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime

The two worst albums I've ever heard, and I cant sell them because nobody on this godforsaken earth wants them lol
I wouldn't mind grabbing a cheap copy of Mindcrime. =)

Thanatopsis123 said:

That's exactly what happens to me too. As for getting sick of CDs, yeah, you can often ruin your enjoyment of a band by listening to them too much, but then, especially with heavier metal like brutal death, it takes a LOT of listens to fully appreciate some albums. I'm listening to Malevolent Creation - Envenomed atm, and I got about 10cds around the time I got it....I listened to it twice and thought it was worthless crap, so I never listened to it again (for almost 5 months), but it's been in my changer for about a week and i'm only just starting to get into it. There's some really excellent songs on it.

Naggamanteh said:
Emperor - Prometheus

Definitely give these albums more chances, mate! "Prometheus" and "Failures For Gods" had to grow on me, but "Under A Funeral Moon" was more or less an instant winner. Promise me to give them more chances :) You won't regret it.

I bought a Rhapsody cd, and ive hid it out of a mix of embarrasment. I thought it was the corniest thing Ive ever heard.

Alot of decent, to mediocre death and black metal just sits.

The first Soufly album i cant bear to listen to.

Speaking of Queensryche- they were a fave band of mine, but the last three albums have alot of dust on them. Im surprised someone doesnt like Mindcrime, if you dont like that, stay away from the rest of their cds- cuz mindcrime is their best.

Naggamanteh said:
Cradle of Filth - Midian
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Emperor - Prometheus
those albums are far better than the br00tl shit you listen to

as for the topic, the only albums that I own and dont listen to, are the ones I got as a gift.... a lot of nu metal crap

henrikmain said:
Definitely give these albums more chances, mate! "Prometheus" and "Failures For Gods" had to grow on me, but "Under A Funeral Moon" was more or less an instant winner. Promise me to give them more chances :) You won't regret it.
Ok, ok. :) I don't think I will have any problems with "Under a Funeral Moon", just haven't had time or mood to give it more than one listen... been listening to either brutal DM or angelic female vox lately and black metal has been left aside. As for the other two albums, yes, I definitely intend to give them more listens; I am curious to know what on earth is going on with those disharmonic riffs. :)

I bought Blind Guardian's "Night at the Opera", listened to about two tracks, and put it away. The vocals are so irritating, I get chills up my spine just thinking about trying to listen to it again.

hmm ive got quite a few here and there,

Converge-Petitioning the Empty Sky
Arch Enemy-Anthems of Rebellion
Carcass-Heartwork
Pantera-Far Beyond Driven
Pantera-T.G.S.T.K
Sepultura-Beneath the Remains
Obituary-Cause of Death
Decapitated-Nihility

Converge i havent listened to because i find the vocals annoying and the production weak
Arch Enemy because the songs lack any real drive, emotion, and it just seems like they wanted to get a new album out a.s.a.p
Heartwork is above average, nothing grabs me
Far Beyond Driven i find has too many long songs and not enough thrash, just gets dull i think
T.G.S.T.K has got some rather weak vocals from phil, im more a fan of his CFH style
Beneath the Remains I know is meant to be fucking legendary, but im finding the songs too long and drawn out and the same riffs repeated over and over. I DEFINETLY NEED TO LISTEN TO THIS ONE AGAIN
And the last two are because of the old "not enough time" shebang

Yeah man, early Sepultura doesn't do much for me either.....so overrated.

Hell, the amount of CDs i've got, I don't even have a choice about them collecting dust....I can't humanly listen to them all quick enough!