celestion v60--v30

LSD-Studio

HCAF crusher
Jul 2, 2006
Germany
www.lsd-tonstudio.de
what do you guys think about the celestion v60 as used in the engl standard cabs?
they seem to be a little bit smoother than the vintage 30, and have a little more low-mid-punch.

any opinions?

edit:
gonna do some v60 recordings within the next days, so samples will follow.

Clip sounds good. V30's are cool, i just head of the v60's. I'm still playing with my Jensens.

Damn you all with the Engl amps. I was completely happy w/my Triaxis/2:90 setup until i heard all the clips posted in this forum! i was drooling at the powerball in my local store but i couldn't even afford the $1500 used. ( it was gone in only a few days).

Where She Wept said:
i was drooling at the powerball in my local store but i couldn't even afford the $1500 used. ( it was gone in only a few days).
hate the powerball!
at least version 1 is way too fizzy, to get rid of that fizz you've got to turn down presence and treble all the way, what results in a dull sound.
there are great engl amps out there (blackmore, savage), but i HATE the PB ;)

can't imagine you're not getting way better tones from your triaxis 2:90 rig ?

btw 1500 is the price for a new head over here, you're really paying that much for that crap when it's used in the u.s.?

What`s about making some impulses of the Engl Standart with the V60s and the Vintage V30s? I always wanted to make some impulses on my own so i could try to make some with the Engl Savage 120 and with the Engl Vintage Cab with the V30...

LSD-Studio said:
hate the powerball!
at least version 1 is way too fizzy, to get rid of that fizz you've got to turn down presence and treble all the way, what results in a dull sound.
there are great engl amps out there (blackmore, savage), but i HATE the PB ;)

Do not crank the gain ffs :lol: You only need miniscule amounts of gain on channel *3*, I guess that's why everyone speaks of fizz - they put the damn gain on 5 or higher and/or use the fourth channel :zombie:

Torniojaws said:
Do not crank the gain ffs :lol: You only need miniscule amounts of gain on channel *3*, I guess that's why everyone speaks of fizz - they put the damn gain on 5 or higher and/or use the fourth channel :zombie:
lol.
don't tell me ;)
a guitarist that buys an PB turns the gain all the way up in the studio, that's the reason he got himself a PB, its monstereous gain.

a guitarist that bought a powerball for that reason is almost impossible to be convinced of using less gain, tried that thousand times :cool:

a guitarist that knows he doesn't need tons of gain probably won't buy a PB, 'cause there are millions of better amps out there with enough gain, why should he buy a PB, when he's not using channel 4 anyway?
guitarists with PB's always say :"that doesn't have enough distortion for my taste..".
at least that's my experience with PB owners.

i've owned several amps (some mesas, alot of engls, soldanos, VHT etc), and i assume i know how to set them up to sound good.....most of them blew the PB away in a recording situation.

i like amps with character and i like to hear my mistakes if there are any, i like to hear a difference between different guitars, i like clarity, so i cannot like the PB, just my opinion;)

problem is, most of the PB overhypers haven't even tried other engls, and can't even compare and tell that the others (blackmore, savage..) are way better.

hey, it always comes down to taste:zombie:

LSD-Studio said:
don't know how to do that, tried the search function, but it sux on this forum.
please post a link to a guide or so.

Ok, I'm assuming you're on PC. You need Voxengo Deconvolver (demo) and SIR:

http://www.voxengo.com/product/deconvolver/
http://www.knufinke.de/sir/index_en.html

Some advice from Splat88:

Splat88 said:
If you have Voxengo Deconvolver, there's a test tone generator. I did mine at 96000k and 12 seconds.

Also, make sure the MP transform button is checked.

Then, route that sine wave to your power amp. Make sure it's the POWERAMP IN jack on the back (effects loop) not the front input on the amp. The presence and resonance controls will work for the power section still so set them moderately, like 12:00 o'clock or something. Then mic up the cab, hit play and record the signal into a preamp then back into your PC. Then you take that recorded file and 'deconvolve' it with the program. Then you'll have take it into an audio editor and chop off the last tail of the processed file otherwise it will echo. Plug your ears while you do this because that sine sweep is loud once you get into the mid and high frequencies. 12 seconds will seem like a long time, especially if you do multiple mic placements. Also, since really low frequencies will will going through your cab, it will fart out very easily if its turned up too loud. Feed the signal into your amp just loud enough level before the speakers distort at that low frequency hump around 120HZ.

Thanks in advance!

I like V30 loaded Framus more than V60 loaded Engl.. but I have to AB it again... depends on the amp!

haven't had the time to finish the impulses, yet.
but i did record the sine-sweep, for those of you who want to do the rest on their own here they are:
v60 sweep

it's gonna take some days until i've got the time to finish it, perhaps that already helps.

recorded thru mesa simulclass 295->engl v60->sm57->spl goldmike->rme fireface.
pics of recording setup will follow.