Cellos

Patric

Nov 1, 2001
Disneyland
The last electric bass class I took, I heard my teacher play the Cello (big old thing) and let me tell you, that thing is marvellous! It can make some of the saddest sounds I've heard. Therefore I was thinking how it would sound if one could combine this instrument with pure metal. Anyone?

I'm sure there are bands who have done just that. Can't tell you names, though...

Btw, isn't that similar to what Apocalyptica do, not combine cello and e-guitars, but working with something like e-cellos?

Rasputina uses cello and distorts it. Sounds wicked.

Apocalyptica do the same thing, some clean cello, some distorted (depends on the song)

The lead singer in my old band played cello, but we never incorporated it into a song (since it'd get wrecked onstage)

Speaking of cellos, there is something called a "pentacello" or "celloblaster" out there. It has 5 strings and is tuned in fifths instead of fourths. The creater of this and other similar electric stringed instruments claims that these stay in tune better and have less distortion. They are really strange looking and you can check them out at pentasystem.com. :devil: :loco:

Originally posted by Melancholia
I love the sound of cello,it's so depressing :)
At the gates have Cello on "And the world returned" ...

Goddamn depressing but beautiful song! Don't forget "The swarm!!!"

I hope to add some cello to the new Wrs of Winter songs, (and maybe the old), as my friend (who plays cello) may have some free time this spring...

Well, some metal bands used it (halfassed) to ballads and accoustics. What I thought would be cool would be if it was played in a aggressive metal song, wonder how it would sound. I know Cryptopsy used this weird australian instrument in "Screams Go Unheard" but it's hard to hear if they use it in the song.

NP: In Flames-The Hive