Q's for cellists/violinists

Space Ghost

Fast As Fast Can Be
Aug 7, 2003
Visit site
I'm interested in learning one of them sometime in the semi-near future (probably cello, though), and I'm wondering how hard they are to play, or maybe just some comparisons to other stuff in general? (I have experience with guitar, piano, and trombone, plus I'm starting to play bass (but not a fretless, so I can't compare that aspect))...

Also, I did a bit of price searching on electric cellos (celli?), and they all looked pretty expensive compared to the lower-end regular acoustics. Are there any cheap-ish electric cellos/violins? I'd be fine with a regular one, but I think it'd be interesting to try playing them through some effects pedals or something.

Well, thanks for your time. I didn't want to ask this at the musicians' message boards I go to, because they're mainly guitarists and such, and I know there's at least a couple playa's here. :headbang: :Spin: :hotjump: :yow: :worship: :Shedevil: :kickass: :puke:

From violinist friend: "Very hard to actually play in tune, takes years of practice." Since you are used to another difficult instrument to play in tune (trombone) it might be easier for you to learn.

I doubt playing in tune w/ a brass instrument (i.e. correct embouchure, and -in the case of a trombone player- pulling the slide out the right amount) is going to make playing in tune on a violin easier, as they involve quite unrelated techniques. It may give your ears an advantage in detecting mispitching though.

A couple of years ago I had a few friends beginning violin, who had marked points of the neck w/chalk to make things easier. I believe they've now rubbed them off, and play without markings, but it may be beneficial if you're beginning.

hi hi,

yes, i agree.. i think it's a pretty difficult instrument, especially when it comes to staying in tune + getting a decent tone, since it's not a fretted instrument like a guitar. :( however, if you play guitar, that probably means that your fingers naturally have the strength needed to hold down the strings, which is a plus! the marked tapings that andicried mentioned is definitely a really good method for a beginner (use red tape, i think it looks best.)

hmm.. and cheap electric violins - i'm not sure, since i just went electric myself and i'm still a novice when it comes to that sort of thing. maybe try asking the people on http://www.fiddleforum.com/fiddleforum/index.php?board=4 ... they're usually very helpful and nice!

Ok, thankee for the help y'all. I'm not going to be starting anytime real soon, but I was just curious (and learning is FUNdamental).

And I agree, playing in tune on the tromebone wasn't hard, you just gotta judge the distance from the end of the bell and so on. Actually I only played it for a few years in the junior high band, and I never got a good ear for tuning until I started playing guitar later... but my instructor never complained once I got decent at judging the distances, so maybe I unconsciously knew I was in tune (and for what it's worth, I was 1st chair for almost the whole time...)

AndICried said:
I was interested in elwrning violing a whi le ago, but it i t bpsiobily to lern wi thoi ut a teacher? I'm reasonably experienced in music theroy,/ ahve playerd beiano for about 10 years, and guitar for 2.?

Say what?

Heh, actually, I was kinda wondering the same thing. I plan on maybe learning through music classes whenever I transfer to a major college (just in a community college now), but if it's possible I'd like to start learning on my own before that.

What a coincidence. I was just about to drive to my grandparents house and ask if I could borrow their cello, as I've had a sudden urge to learn to play it. I can play guitar, trombone, and euphonium, so they should come a bit in handy.