Championship Manager 4

StevenK said:
hahah a team from ballymun, i can imagine them now running along with syringes falling out from all bobdily parts
:erk:
so yer dissin the mun now, ye donkey-shagging welly-wearing spud gobbler ?? :mad:

Strangelight said:
Any tips? I reckon its fixed like

if you mean any tactics, dont use attacking midfielders, they dont perform very good on this one, heres the tactic i use 3-1-4-2 make sure you got good wingers and let them play also find a very good passer for the position in front of the 3 guys playin in the defence

aye, i heard there were people from ballymun around so i slagged the place and waited for a response, nice name for a ballymun folk there bambi :)

never manage an international foorball team unless you go on holiday

i've won the premiership with doncaster rovers. :cool: that was on the 00/01 version. i havent played the last two ones a lot tho.

Trouble with CM4 is it's so slow, and you have to go through countless of scoutings to find players which further slows the game. Of course you could go to the insane amount of CM sites to get reccomended player guides, which has the bonus of you realising there's actually people who waste more time on this game than yourself, when they discuss how often some kid whose 13 at the start of the game turns out to be a star after 10 seasons! I'm still to make it past season 3 in CM4, no patience for it.

Good old CM2 you could play a season in only a couple of hours. But of course the improved gameplay of latter versions make it unbearable to go back.

I remember winning CL and Serie A countless times with Venezia back in the good old CM2 days, over 10-12 seasons, that was addiction.

i have this version of cm4. i don't trust it. i can't undertsnad why my defenders usually don't try to tackle attacking forwarders, and even run off from them. it drives me crazy and some other things. i have impression cm3 engine was much better.

hm yeah good wingers are useful.
like i always tend to use a 4-4-2

with central defenders put on ultra defensive. maybe a really good cental midfielder on defensive as well and put him on man mark if there is a super striker in the opposing team. and put him a bit back on the field then and the other one attacking.
fast backs and wings. put the wings and forwards on attacking or even gung-ho as you dont need them really to defend.

read the other team each time. if you see the defenders arent good headers, use long balls. if there they have a fast attacker dont man mark but use zone. try to keep the best players out of the game by zone marking/man marking. obvious stuff like. but dont change too much in yer tactics each match cause itll turn against you in the long term. and last but not least. have a decent summer break for yer first team. you can still arrange friendlies for your reserves and youth players.

and take care of yer training. its little useless to learn your wingers head for example. or a lot of shooting practise for yer defenders. never neglect it too much. when players are getting tired because they play a lot of games, then make them trainings a bit easier. put them aside for 2 games (dont do this for your star players tho cause they tend to get unhappy then, unless they are really tired) you can change yer stars when the game is already played tho.
give players only warnings if they catch a lot of cards.

i could go on 4ever like but i hope this helped a bit...? its all obvious in the end tho.

Mariner said:
hm yeah good wingers are useful.
like i always tend to use a 4-4-2

with central defenders put on ultra defensive. maybe a really good cental midfielder on defensive as well and put him on man mark if there is a super striker in the opposing team. and put him a bit back on the field then and the other one attacking.
fast backs and wings. put the wings and forwards on attacking or even gung-ho as you dont need them really to defend.

read the other team each time. if you see the defenders arent good headers, use long balls. if there they have a fast attacker dont man mark but use zone. try to keep the best players out of the game by zone marking/man marking. obvious stuff like. but dont change too much in yer tactics each match cause itll turn against you in the long term. and last but not least. have a decent summer break for yer first team. you can still arrange friendlies for your reserves and youth players.

and take care of yer training. its little useless to learn your wingers head for example. or a lot of shooting practise for yer defenders. never neglect it too much. when players are getting tired because they play a lot of games, then make them trainings a bit easier. put them aside for 2 games (dont do this for your star players tho cause they tend to get unhappy then, unless they are really tired) you can change yer stars when the game is already played tho.
give players only warnings if they catch a lot of cards.

i could go on 4ever like but i hope this helped a bit...? its all obvious in the end tho.

good man

man mark any hot strikers. if your team is crap, play long ball, if its good play short passing. use scouts cleverly by selecting not counrties but regions (why sweden when you can get scandinavia for example). always look for potentialy good young players. they cost nothing and they might turn into the next superstar.

and something very important regarding money. the only thing that can fuck your team financialy are wages. dont overpay players, you'll see your balance getting lower and lower every month. its not like the transfer money when you see right there how much you're paying and you can easily do the math. wages are very fuckin tricky. (well ok, if you're man utd you hardly care about that since you have a shitload of cash.) also, if someone is over 32-33 lets say sell him fast cos he wont worth shit when his 35 (well, if his dead good keep him.) always invest on the talents. its cheap and it lasts long.

by the way dunc, whats your situation (club, year and that)? are you doing good?

Ah, I never bother with that training crap, except for making sure I got good coaches. Get decent results anyhow.

I had very bad experiences with zonal marking, so I never use it.

Make sure you've got fast (as said) and above all good dribblers on the wings (pace, accelleration, technigue and dribbling), and make sure the individual instructions (encourage crosses, long shots, run with ball and so on) match your players' skills.

Never dicipline your players, it always messes up the whole team.

4-4-2 seems the best regular formation in CM4. I stay away from gung ho and ultra-defensive, unless I completely overmatch the opposition or need a big win. It doesn't seem to work well. But central defenders and one midfielder (preferrably a defensive one) on defensive. wings and attackers on attacking, wings with an arrow forward. I disagree with not needing your full-backs for defending, I always give up more goals when setting them on "attacking". if you've got good offensive full-backs, pick "encourage forward runs" instead, then they seem to pick their spots better. One fast forward with good finishing, one powerful striker with good heading skills, seems the best match. But don't bench the clearly better player to get this combo.

Good British bargains in CM4 (might not be the same if you're playing 02/03 update): Lionel Morgan (left-winger), Michael Dawson (defender), Scott Willis (def. mid), Lee Miller (striker), Mike Duff (DRC). In a few seasons: Serge Makofo (amazing winger), Isaac Osbourne (def mid), Jay McEveley (DLC, might be able to lure him away from Blackburn). I could go on and on, take a look at Trifonov and Anatoli Todorov of Bulgaria, and curse the work permit rule in England, amazing young Bulgarians, Todorov gets a conditional permit sometimes, but he's a bit young for regular PL footie, amazing potential though.

Allan said:
I had very bad experiences with zonal marking, so I never use it.

Never dicipline your players, it always messes up the whole team.
thats not always the case for both these situations. most loyal and dedicated players (like shearer) will never get mad over some logical discipline when necessary.

sol83 said:
thats not always the case for both these situations. most loyal and dedicated players (like shearer) will never get mad over some logical discipline when necessary.

Yeah, but most loyal and dedicated players don't need to be diciplined either. No point in it.