chaning hard drive on macbook

sash poask

Mar 24, 2008
so, i have never done that before, but after doing some research seems simple enough....

my plan is to take out the 160 gig and replace it with a 320 7200 rpm, and then i also bought a case so i can use my 160 as a external hard drive, my question is, if i take out the 160 and then put it it the case when i plug it in, wont it have like the whole operating system on it and stuff...will i be able to just access the files on it normally?

basically i wonna do a clean install on the new hard drive and then transfer the files from the old.....

will this work, or am i being a twat?

No because you'll have a sata connector that will be connected to your mobo in the macbook, and i'm pretty sure apple make it almost impossible to upgrade their desktops let alone their laptops. I'll ask my friend because hes an apple certified pro. You'll need to run your external HD through USB. I'll have a look at my macbook too but i doubt it... Cant you just buy a new USB HD? Saves time and money + apple has many backup schemes that allow you to transfer data from one mac to another in just a few clicks

Yep, it can be done! I did it myself.

Replacing the hard drive in a macbook is piss easy, took me all of 10 minutes. It's a billion times easier with an external hard drive.

1. Connect the external, create a time machine back up.
2. Remove the battery, slide out the hard drive, switch it with the new one. (I had to go to maplin to get the special hexagonal screw driver required)
3. Insert the OSX install disks and hold down (i'm not sure on this, so google it) C or D or something to boot from the disk
4. When you've booted to the disk, use disk utility to format the new hard drive to HFS+
5. Use the disk to restore your computer from the time machine backup on the external hard drive.

Job done.

so, i have never done that before, but after doing some research seems simple enough....

my plan is to take out the 160 gig and replace it with a 320 7200 rpm, and then i also bought a case so i can use my 160 as a external hard drive, my question is, if i take out the 160 and then put it it the case when i plug it in, wont it have like the whole operating system on it and stuff...will i be able to just access the files on it normally?

basically i wonna do a clean install on the new hard drive and then transfer the files from the old.....

will this work, or am i being a twat?

You're not being a twat, it will work just fine. Make sure to get the correct enclosure and you're fine. You might want to do what was mentioned above though - that way you don't have to reinstall all your stuff. Just re-format the 160gb drive with HFS+ and bam, you've got an external ready to go.