Charlie is the riffer, not Scott!

RandyEllefson

May 28, 2004
www.randyellefson.com
I just found out in a recent guitar mag that it isn't Scott who writes all those killer riffs. It's Charlie?!?!?!

I knew he wrote some, but that's amazing. He should be up there with Hetfield, Kerry and Jeff from Slayer, and Dave Mustaine in stature.

All hail Charlie! :headbang:

RandyEllefson said:
I just found out in a recent guitar mag that it isn't Scott who writes all those killer riffs. It's Charlie?!?!?!

I knew he wrote some, but that's amazing. He should be up there with Hetfield, Kerry and Jeff from Slayer, and Dave Mustaine in stature.

All hail Charlie! :headbang:

Chuck describes himself as a Guitarist who happens to play drums.

Scott has said in several interviews that Charlie comes in with music and they all work it out into songs (or something like that), and Scott handles most lyrics, with some exceptions (John wrote the lyrics to Anyplace But Here, and parts of Think About an End, for example), and Frankie contributes a lot of melody. I remember an interview where Scott said he and Charlie made the arrangement that he would write lyrics and Charlie music, and that was before Spreading. Charlie has said the same in interviews, for example, he locked himself into his room for a few months in 1990 and the result was Persistence, "my strongest material ever" or something to that effect, to quote a contemperaneous interview.